Confess your Twin Peaks sins

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

This could be your last opportunity for absolution before the Return.

I'll begin:
(1) I've never seen 100% of the series.
I've always skipped through quite a number of scenes in mid-to-latter Season 2. For example, I haven't seen most of the Evelyn Marsh storyline. No idea how it transpires, nor do I care. I've also missed out on some Little Nicky content, among other things. I just can't do it - always occurs to me I could better spend my time by doing or watching just about anything else.

(2) I don't have nearly as much fondness for the character of Sheriff Truman as most on this board seem to. There was a nice dynamic between him and Cooper, yes, but he's not an integral character, in my view. Never cared much whether or not he would return in the new series.

(I hope the thread doesn't devolve into arguments about the merits of certain episodes or characters - let opinions be opinions.)
I'll see you in the trees
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Confess your Twin Peaks sins

Post by douglasb »

I've had the blu-ray set since release. Only watched the FWWM out-takes this week.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

I find the German titles easier to remember that the original numbering
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I don't like donuts- never have, never will. Overall, I am cutting down on sweets and may not even eat cherry pie during the revival.

My penance: eat at least one Brie/Butter Baguette and/or at least one smoked cheese pig on premiere night.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Gordon Cole gets on my nerves. His scenes with Shelly are worse than Evelyn and Little Nicky combined. Pure self indulgence on Lynch's part, ugh.

There I've said it. I feel so much lighter now.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

What a great thread idea! I guess my sins are relatively venal...I despise the slapstick trying-way-too-hard comedy of season 2 (Nadine, much of Andy), even when DKL is directing it (the interminable floorboard scene). And I think reports of the show's creative resurgence in late season 2 are greatly exaggerated: I think any uptick in quality is confined to the diner sequence in Episode 25, parts of Episode 27, and the brilliant Episode 29. The "Lodge" mythology is great to have as part of the show, but the "mythology dump" way it's presented is frankly kind of bland on rewatches once you already know the story.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

-I've always liked season 2 more than season 1.

-The early Packard sawmill shenanigans used to be more boring to me than even the Evelyn Marsh stuff. Only in the recent years (maybe in the last 10 years or so) I have grown to appreciate the sawmill plot a bit more. And even then I liked the later stuff about it in season 2 more interesting than the early stuff in season 1.

-I don't like the coffee and pie references people have caught from the series. I used to wonder why people are so excited about quoting the coffee and pie stuff. I liked them in the series as something that shows people's affection towards tasting good tastes and enjoying life's moments that way (even though I personally hate coffee - I can't even stand the smell of it), but it becoming THE thing Twin Peaks is known for has always puzzled me.

-Dick Tremayne is one of my favorite "non-ensemble" characters in Twin Peaks. I'm sure that is considered as a sin by some :D
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Gordon Cole gets on my nerves. His scenes with Shelly are worse than Evelyn and Little Nicky combined. Pure self indulgence on Lynch's part, ugh.

There I've said it. I feel so much lighter now.
Blasphemy! LOL
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I despise the slapstick trying-way-too-hard comedy of season 2 (Nadine, much of Andy), even when DKL is directing it (the interminable floorboard scene). And I think reports of the show's creative resurgence in late season 2 are greatly exaggerated: I think any uptick in quality is confined to the diner sequence in Episode 25, parts of Episode 27, and the brilliant Episode 29. The "Lodge" mythology is great to have as part of the show, but the "mythology dump" way it's presented is frankly kind of bland on rewatches once you already know the story.
I agree with all of that. I didn't feel a significant shift in quality before Ep29, though there were a handful of enjoyable scenes in those few preceding episodes, most notably the ones in the diner.
I also never much liked any of the Lodge-related "lore". Prefer surreal dreamscapes remain just that, without explanation.
I'll see you in the trees
Cadien

Post by Cadien »

Uh, when the original series aired (I was in my 20s at the time), I only watched one episode, even though I claimed to like David Lynch's work. I did instantly buy the soundtrack and have listened to it ever since. (Since then I've watched the entire series once all the way through, and a second time I watched the entire first season -- thanks to Netflix.)

> Evelyn Marsh

You didn't miss anything. I hated that "story arc". I also didn't like the Raiders of the Lost Ark-inspired episode.

I once heard a Twin Peaks writer on NPR, years later, saying that once Lynch left to go work on Wild at Heart, everyone else back at Twin Peaks was left trying to "fake" David Lynch -- trying to make the scripts and the whole series seem as if his influence hadn't waned during his absence. In retrospect, such a statement seems to short-chang Mark Frost -- but it may well have been Mark Frost who said the above on NPR. I don't remember.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

A bit on the side maybe, but I need to get this of my chest :lol: Ten days ago there was a Twin Peaks concert here were I live (Bergen, Norway not much of this kind of stuff happens here to my knowledge, so this was actually a catch being a TP fan). I remember reading about it's announcement a month ago or so, then I kind of forgot all about it. The real reason I didn't go though; laziness.

Even worse: a couple of years ago, same city, Shakespeare's Othello was staged for a period of two months or so, with none other than Bill Pullman in the role of (a white!) Othello. I didn't go. Reason: laziness (+ I don't care for the theatre).
shame on me
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Cadien wrote: I once heard a Twin Peaks writer on NPR, years later, saying that once Lynch left to go work on Wild at Heart, everyone else back at Twin Peaks was left trying to "fake" David Lynch -- trying to make the scripts and the whole series seem as if his influence hadn't waned during his absence. In retrospect, such a statement seems to short-chang Mark Frost -- but it may well have been Mark Frost who said the above on NPR. I don't remember.
Well, David did Wild at Heart during the first season and was done with it before season 2 aired so if that was the case, then the first season episodes would be "fake" David Lynch and that's probably not what anyone wants to mean by saying that ;)
NonStopKnits
Roadhouse Member

Post by NonStopKnits »

I haven't yet seen FWWM, plan on watching between tonight and the premier though.

I absolutely LOVE Civil War Ben. I'm southern, so I think its hilarious, especially his singing of Dixie Land.

I think that's all. :)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

NonStopKnits wrote:I absolutely LOVE Civil War Ben. I'm southern, so I think its hilarious, especially his singing of Dixie Land.
I also like this storyline a lot more than I should, given my disdain for many (probably slightly better) season 2 storylines. Chalk it up to Beymer's commitment and charisma, as well as the West Side Story fan in me loving Beymer and Tamblyn together (when they start singing "Dixie," Tamblyn is very in character as Jacoby, but the singing over the waterfalls stock footage sounds EXACTLY like Riff! He still had it!).

Alright, I'll continue blaspheming: my girlfriend kept pressuring me to watch TP, knowing how excited I was about the return, and I kept hemming and hawing, fearing that the show feels a bit too much of its time in the era of prestige cable drama. To that point, the only DKL work I'd watched with her was Eraserhead (jump into the deep end of the pool!), which she loved. I started my own personal rewatch with FWWM (which I knew she would love, but has to come after the series for a first-timer). Then the Pilot....and at first, it confirmed my fears. Watching the Pilot through what I perceived to be her eyes, it felt like a revolutionary work from 1989 that has been so oft-imitated and built upon that it has very little power left. Until Coop/Kyle came onscreen and drove past that sign, and all my fears were gone. How could I have ever doubted?!

The rest of the first season confirmed to me that it was safe to bring her into the world, and she loved the Pilot through Episode 15 stretch. We're now slogging, though -- her enthusiasm has fallen off (just passed Josie's death) and I don't think we'll finish by Sunday night. Might have to skip ahead to 29/FWWM, which isn't ideal. We'd probably be done already if I hadn't delayed at the outset. :?
Scullydive

Post by Scullydive »

I find the mill plot and anything to do with Josie boring. I dislike anything to do with One Eyed Jacks (apart from Hawk's knife throw) and the Renaults. I kind of liked James on my rewatch. Audrey's hair in the pilot looks bad. I find the log lady intros a bit of a pain and only really watch them to be a completionist.