Confess your Twin Peaks sins

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Re: Confess your Twin Peaks sins

Post by MoondogJR »

dugpa wrote: - The first time I watched the Twin Peaks Pilot I couldn't tell the difference between Leland Palmer and Ben Horne. (I was young)
You were not alone! I remember I had the same problem roughly 20 years ago... :)
"Your log and I are on the same page."
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

dugpa wrote: - In an empty theater during the original run of FWWM I made a bootleg audio tape of the film on my Cooper dictaphone. Listened to it religiously until I was able to purchase a bootleg copy on VHS of the Japanese Laserdisc. Watched that a hundred times or so until the New Line VHS was released.
I like that! Reminds me of what I did back in 1991 - also before I had access to any proper soundtrack (but there was more to it than soundtrack anyway...): I would make similar audio recordings of parts of some episodes which included music. I still have my Episode 4 outtake and it's great :D THat was a short one probably because it was an early episode and I wasn't crazy yet ;-) but it included a lot of memorable moments like Audrey's "been doing some research" or "Jacques, it's Harry Truman, open the door!" and of course the beginning with Laura Palmer's theme and Sarah's "yeah..yeah.. his hair was long...". However the last episode I recorded as a whole (truth is, apart from the Dell Mibler scene, there is music ALL THE TIME there). And I listened to it religiously as well :-) Actually WE did, a whole bunch of maniacs. For instance, on the train on our way on a school trip! Or at a home party in high school (imagine a face of someone who enters the room full of people who obsessively listen to something which turns out to be Laura's Ep.29 scream!).
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

MoondogJR wrote:
dugpa wrote: - The first time I watched the Twin Peaks Pilot I couldn't tell the difference between Leland Palmer and Ben Horne. (I was young)
You were not alone! I remember I had the same problem roughly 20 years ago... :)
I thought Leland was calling Catherine at the end of the pilot first time. Thankfully, each episode of the the series was shown twice a week (plus I recorded it!)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Confess your Twin Peaks sins

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

dugpa wrote:- I obsessed over the Missing Pieces for 22 years and have only watched them 4 times since they were released in 2014.
Interesting. Didn't meet your expectations?
dugpa wrote:- In an empty theater during the original run of FWWM I made a bootleg audio tape of the film on my Cooper dictaphone.
Nice! Do you still have it/is it still playable?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: Interesting. Didn't meet your expectations?
Actually, it exceeded my expectations. Reality is that I'm not 18 anymore and with a job and a family, despite my love for Twin Peaks, there are more important things in life that I can no longer justify repeat viewings of anything these days. Plus I think spacing out repeat viewings of any material to once every 5 years or so gives it a sense of freshness upon viewing.
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

My twin peaks sins:

I used to get Kimmy Robertson messed up with Victoria Jackson ALL THE TIME. I thought they were the same person. (I was 12 or 13 years old when TP first aired so maybe that's why? ).

When the TP soundtrack was first released, my mother took me to the mall to buy it. When I got home to listen to it, I realized "The World Spins" wasn't included (I didn't know the song title at the time. I listened to the entire album before I realized it wasn't there. I was heartbroken). SO.... I took my cassette recorder and recorded the song directly off the episode. My sister used to make fun of me all the time for playing it. Nowadays, when I hear the actual song, I'm still expecting to hear the words "I'm SO sorry" spoken. It's embedded in my brain.

I never heard of "Wrapped in Plastic" magazine until just a few months ago. Now I'm trying to collect some issues.

I probably have more TP "sins". I'm trying to recall. If I remember I'll come back and post them.

Non-TP but David Lynch related. A sin indeed: I remember wanting to see Wild at Heart when it came out. TP was my introduction to Lynch. I was so curious to see the film but I never got around to seeing it for whatever reason. I never liked Nic Cage either. Maybe my dislike of him had something to do with it, BUT I finally just saw it and it's one of my favorite films and I actually really REALLY liked Cage in it. Part of me wants to kick myself for waiting so long to view it. Another part of me is glad I waited. I don't know how I would have processed the film at that age.

And I remember being obsessed with "Wicked Game".There was a video on VH1 that aired all the time. The Wild at Heart video.. not the one with the model that was eventually put out and made famous. If anyone knows where I can find the original video, I'd be grateful.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

MoondogJR wrote:
I had the same problem when I watched the pilot for the first time, I just couldn't tell them apart. Glad, I'm not the only one :D
laughingpinecone wrote:Not a big fan of the show's soundtrack, or, more specifically, of how the tracks are used in the show. (my beef doesn't extend to the movie or any other Lynch-Badalamenti collab)
I'm not a fan of how some of the tracks are used in the show, but I think it's even worse in the movie (e.g. "The Black Dog Runs at Night").
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I like men and I don't find Kyle MacLachlan attractive *prepared to be thrown out of the board*
You're not alone. I don't find any of the Twin Peaks men attractive, to be honest.

Here are some more of my Twin Peaks sins:

I didn't want to watch Twin Peaks at first. Years ago (I think it was in 2004), my sister got the first season as a birthday present from a friend. Neither of us knew anything about the series and we were told it was a "crime series". I thought it would be a boring police procedural, so when the rest of the family decided to watch the pilot on our next movie night, I declined. They later told me they loved it and that I had to catch up on the first episode because they were going to continue watching Twin Peaks on our next movie night. Since I didn't want to miss out on all our movie nights, I "forced" myself to watch the pilot and was surprised because it wasn't what I had expected at all. Needless to say, I loved it and it became my favourite show :D

I absolutely love the old series but some of the plot and acting is terrible.

I don't like FWWM very much. It doesn't have the same vibe as the series. Some of the characters behave very different from the way they were in the series and the interior sets (like the Double R) look different. It doesn't help that Donna is portrayed by a new actress and feels like a completely different character. Maybe I would have preferred MK over LFB if she had been the original Donna, but recasts always bother me.

I bought the Entire Mystery box set mainly because of the missing pieces but I didn't watch them until recently.

Even though I couldn't wait for Twin Peaks to be continued and was looking forward to the new series, I only started watching it a few weeks ago when the first 8 episodes had already been released because I had no idea where/how to watch it. I thought in order to watch Sky, you needed a TV, which I don't have, and only recently found out that you can also stream Sky and that it works on my computer :D I felt guilty for not having tried harder, because if I had done more research on streaming, I could have watched the first episodes punctually.

I'm still not sure whether I like the new series and find this indecision confusing because I loved the old series within the first few minutes of the pilot, without any doubt.

I usually don't skip the opening titles of the original series, I even watched them patiently during my first run even though I couldn't wait to see how the story continued - I think it's because there is something very calming and peaceful about the original opening titles - but for some reason I can barely sit through the opening titles of the new series, even though it's the same music, so I often skip them.

When I watched Twin Peaks for the first time, I didn't realize immediately that Laura and Maddy were portrayed by the same actress and when my sister pointed that out to me, I was surprised because I thought they didn't look alike at all.

I didn't like Julee Cruise's songs at first and it took some time for me to appreciate them.

I can't stand Dana Ashbrook's acting, especially in emotional scenes.

I can't stand Laura Dern/Diane and Naomi Watts/Janey-E and hope both characters will die soon. Sorry.

I hate cherry pie.

When I was younger, I tried to make donuts once because of my love for Twin Peaks and it went horribly wrong (completely oversalted). I never tried again, maybe I should do that while the new series is still on.
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

i think josie packard and catherine martell are great characters and i loved their plot and schemes.
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

I actually thought Tojamura was a Japanese man. Windom Earle as a cow was a bit more suspicious, though.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

The Gazebo wrote:I actually thought Tojamura was a Japanese man. Windom Earle as a cow was a bit more suspicious, though.
Spoiler:
The cow jumped over the moon.
I can imagine some saying it jumped the shark.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?