Confess your Twin Peaks sins

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Confess your Twin Peaks sins

Post by Soolsma »

I dislike coffee, pie and donuts.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

From my previous twin peaks board experience it would seem that my greatest sin is that I find Ep.22 great :)

However, personally I would say that I have sinned a lot thinking VERY badly of people who say ANY bad word against Ep.16, which is the best or almost the best episode of Twin Peaks :evil:
However, since Audrey Horne refrained herself from... whatever she had to refrain herself from in this painful topic, I have to say that her boldness and nobleness moved me and therefore my resolution is not to say anything bad against the Ep.16 haters anymore. God help me!

Coffee wrote:I live in the UK but won't be watching the 2am screening -- will be watching on Monday night. Which makes me feel like a bad fan!
That was my initial sinful plan, too... and probably I won't exactly watch it - but I've just decided I'm going to wake up in the middle odf the night and at least see the beginning!
Dining With Diane wrote:-displeased about Micheal Cera being in the new season
I have no clue who this guy is!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
NonStopKnits
Roadhouse Member

Post by NonStopKnits »

New sin, I guess. I watched FWWM this morning for the first time and I did not like Moira Kelly at all. :/
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yeah, Reindeer... I debated the word "tightness" right after I flippantly posted. Watching last night on Showtime in the middle of the night, and not just reliving moments from YouTube, ep 8. Episode 8's first and last fifteen minutes are just perfect... But in between there's a few instances of beating a joke that doesn't work and want to tap him on the shoulder and say, "you're over directing, buddy."

Yeah, BOB1... It's tough, but I guess treat this thread like AA... We speak without judgment... Just punch a hole in the wall. I've been here watching the marathon and in the thick of the Annie and Jihn Justice Wheeler episodes trying for the life of me to understand what am I missing.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Audrey Horne wrote:Yeah, Reindeer... I debated the word "tightness" right after I flippantly posted. Watching last night on Showtime in the middle of the night, and not just reliving moments from YouTube, ep 8. Episode 8's first and last fifteen minutes are just perfect... But in between there's a few instances of beating a joke that doesn't work and want to tap him on the shoulder and say, "you're over directing, buddy."
I do agree. 8 and 9, despite some huge all-time high points, are overall DKL's weakest TP outings IMO (particularly 9). Still in the top tier of the show for me, but some scenes hardly feel Lynchian. And yeh, I dislike the slapstick stuff, and DKL himself was the one who initiated it on the show, with Andy & the plank, and the endless (unscripted) hospital food gags. I guess I could comfortably be pegged as a DKL apologist by some, but I'll freely admit that those moments don't work any better than the damn pine weasel.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

NonStopKnits wrote:New sin, I guess. I watched FWWM this morning for the first time and I did not like Moira Kelly at all. :/

I like her, but, I do have a *really* hard time believing it's the same character, because her and Lara Flynn Boyle play it so dissimilar.
NonStopKnits
Roadhouse Member

Post by NonStopKnits »

Rudagger wrote:
NonStopKnits wrote:New sin, I guess. I watched FWWM this morning for the first time and I did not like Moira Kelly at all. :/

I like her, but, I do have a *really* hard time believing it's the same character, because her and Lara Flynn Boyle play it so dissimilar.

I guess I should restate, I think she's super pretty, and I think the character was still written in a believable way. But I found her acting to just not be good and I can't put my finger on why but she bugged me the whole movie. :/

I did really like Donna and the way LFB played her, however I would have never considered her a favorite. I even knew the actress in FWWM was different and I'm surprised how much it bothered me, honestly.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Audrey Horne wrote:It's tough, but I guess treat this thread like AA... We speak without judgment... Just punch a hole in the wall.
Good idea, thanks! :)

I'll keep on confessing, especially since you named John Justice Wheeler. I liked his character! Yes, from the beginning! Just like Audrey, I was taken by him from the moment he gallantly picked up the old lady's hat or whatever it was that she'd dropped. Ha, I even like his serenade :mrgreen:
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I really enjoy Hank Jennings and find his aw-shucks demeanor mildly convincing, however unsettling.

I think LFB is great in the series, and that Donna has some of the best scenes in season 2. Addendum: the Harold Smith plot is by far the best plot of early s2 (this isn't quite a "sin" but his stuff does nothing for a lot of people).

I never quite buy Maddy as a character, at least not until her last few episodes.

I like "Just You" so much I actually had it on an iPod playlist and listened to it repeatedly. This is probably my greatest sin.

I don't find the Palmers' grief in the pilot particularly moving. Donna's reaction after the girl screams kinda gets me though.

I am not sure I was really *upset* by Cooper's fate in the finale when I first watched it, though it's hit me more in later viewings.

Despite liking Audrey a lot, I wasn't really upset by her fate in the finale either. Perhaps because the way Lynch directed it, he just didn't seem too serious about its implications.

Episode 8 seems flawed and bloated - while I rank it above all the non-Lynch episodes because of its high points, it's much more uneven and often dissatisfying than several non-Lynch episodes.

It took me at least 3 or 4 viewings before I had any recollection/took any note of the train car flashback in episode 8. It just didn't have much of an impact on me compared to the couch scene or even Bob's first appearance.

I'm not really on board with a lot of Ray Wise's acting choices in ep. 16, much as I respect his gusto.

I prefer episode 4 to episode 3 - I just like its "hangout" vibe and the fact that we're moving into exploring a mystery rather than still lingering over a more static situation. Episode 4 feels like the kind of show you could sink into and linger over episode by episode. It feels more world-building, in a way? I think it's hugely underrated. Also, I think it's by far Tim Hunter's best episode.

I love what FWWM does for the larger context of the series, but part of me still likes to view it as a standalone movie - and I think the most "Twin Peaks" aspects of it tend to be the weakest elements. I'm glad he's there for the final scene, but otherwise I could completely do without Cooper in this movie.

I'm excited about new Twin Peaks, but I'm much more excited about new David Lynch. So far my favorite moments have tended to be ones that have little to do with Twin Peaks as we know it.

The movie gets me right in the feels in a way the series almost never does. My love for the show is more cerebral and conceptual than visceral (except for certain Lynchian horror moments) - I love what it adds up to, and the construction of a kind of meta-mood, of an idealized place (the thing that really made me want to go back and rewatch it was seeing how they built the sets in the documentary - very much a Disneyland it's-physically-there-but-also-kinda-just-in-your-imagination vibe). In a way, I love Twin Peaks less because of what it is than because of what it could be, or points to/suggests. It's like waking up from a dream, and lingering for a few moments in a faint memory before the dream slips away. It's almost more an appeal of a kind of "aftertaste" than the taste itself. There's a kind of Platonic Twin Peaks out there in the ether and the show, for all its flaws, gives us a taste of that. Don't know if that makes sense, or is even considered an affront, so back to a simpler sin.

I thought, um (considers how not to be spoiler-y), Mr. Brando was hilarious.
itsbeen20yrs

Post by itsbeen20yrs »

NonStopKnits wrote:I haven't yet seen FWWM, plan on watching between tonight and the premier though.

I absolutely LOVE Civil War Ben. I'm southern, so I think its hilarious, especially his singing of Dixie Land.

I think that's all. :)
I thinks that's more like a guilty pleasure! Being from the Volunteer State myself, I loved Civil War Ben too!

Maybe I ought to start a "Twin Peaks Guilty Pleasure" thread, lol
itsbeen20yrs

Post by itsbeen20yrs »

Audrey Horne wrote:you're all doing this to hurt me, right?
It's okay, I've got your back. :wink:

There's no way TP would be the same without Audrey, she is too cool for school....
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I keep reimagining Sheriff Truman scenes from the original show with Robert Forster in the role. I've never seen a new actor/character slot in with established characters so well! You can tell he was the intended actor for Truman all along.

I was really rude on this forum in the the "Lynch standing down" period. I had depression at the time anyway and the joy of hearing 'my favourite gum is coming back in fashion,' then having it snatched away when I was in such a low point really hit me. Sorry everyone!

I would be reading the dugpa.com forum while I was supposed to be rewatching the show and have to rewind at regular intervals!

The Evelyn/James story got the teenage me into Zalman King films back in the 1990s. I watched The Hidden because Kyle was in it, which led me to watching and enjoying the Elm St Nightmares.

I borrowed the Sherilyn Fenn issue of Playboy and didn't buy a copy, because I was scared to be seen buying it! :oops:

I managed to watch Two Moon Junction all the way through. :shock:

Biggest one of all: I started smoking because of Twin Peaks! :cry:
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Marquis »

I can't really think of any except one...

I vastly prefer Moira Kelly as Donna over Lara Flynn Boyle. I have since I first saw FWWM. It's not that I'm not satisfied with LFB as Donna, but when I saw FWWM, my immediate reaction was "Oh, I wish she could have been Donna all along"... I just like her general demeanor more and she feels more like I think her character was supposed to feel.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Kelly seems legitimately younger - more like Laura's innocent friend.
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Marquis »

I think I have another sin...

Is it a 'sin' to laugh in the face of people who don't 'get' Twin Peaks? I mean those that don't like it because they don't 'get' it. I just laugh at them like they are stupid and missing out. I did this to a relative on Monday when discussing the S3 premier. I'd imagine it comes off as rude, but I don't really care. ha