Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by bob_wooler »

Wasn't just the "news" I was questioning here, also the connection to a fourth season.
TimeFlashes

Post by TimeFlashes »

Since I posted something about this yesterday I think it is fair that I say that Al Strobel removed his post. Furthermore, he posted it in response to an account that shared an image from Kyle M.'s tweet and not as a direct reply to him.

Even if the HHM and the TP S3 podcast are right, there is nothing to say there will be an announcement soon. Also, planning an announcement with a year of anticipation is bizarre, and it's 99% not going to be the case in my opinion.

We can only wait until someone comes out and denies the rumours or for an announcement. If we get none of those in the next week or two and the rumours continue, I'd say chances are that project is in early stages and someone simply spilled out the beans. In that case, even if the project is eventually finished, we might have to wait for while for a confirmation.
Always a face to remind me.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

TimeFlashes wrote:
Even if the HHM and the TP S3 podcast are right, there is nothing to say there will be an announcement soon. Also, planning an announcement with a year of anticipation is bizarre, and it's 99% not going to be the case in my opinion.
But I don't think anybody thinks we are waiting a year for an announcement. It would likely come in either February or April on some Twin Peaks related date, which is right around the corner and would allow time for more details to be ironed out/scripts to be completed.
mojo1976
Roadhouse Member

Post by mojo1976 »

I’m in the camp where I don’t think there will an announcement this year. We’re in the last quarter of the year and there’s this month’s release of the TV collection then December’s Z to A box. It wouldn’t be in their favor to say there’s more coming now as it would dip into sales. Whether something’s already filmed, filming, or soon to film; it would benefit them to wait a few months after December to say anything.

Also, by not denying the rumors, they’re whetting our appetites, building curiosity (and publicity), and adding to the mystery. On one hand, it’s a bit cruel—on the other, no one promised us anything; it was a tweet based on heresay.
TimeFlashes

Post by TimeFlashes »

LateReg wrote:
TimeFlashes wrote:
But I don't think anybody thinks we are waiting a year for an announcement. It would likely come in either February or April on some Twin Peaks related date, which is right around the corner and would allow time for more details to be ironed out/scripts to be completed.
I don't think the production company would wait for special date unless there was one of those close to their original plans. They will release information when it suits them financially.
Always a face to remind me.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

sneakydave wrote:I have a funny feeling things are going to quiet down now for a period of time.
Things definitely do seem to have quieted down a lot, even today they seem much quieter. I still think it's coming back, but I imagine there'll just be a trickle of a few more maybe-this-means-something-maybe-it-doesn't social media posts, then it will all fade away again for a few months. Unless we get an announcement soon or there's some really REALLY big clue that pops up online (bigger than a social media maybe-hint, something that feels impossible to deny even if it's not an official announcement).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

TimeFlashes wrote:
LateReg wrote:
TimeFlashes wrote:
I don't think the production company would wait for special date unless there was one of those close to their original plans. They will release information when it suits them financially.
Right. That's what I'm saying, actually. They're waiting until the new year, but it won't be that far into the new year. If it's on one of those dates its because it coincides with their production schedule. I always thought it would be a couple months after the box set released for numerous reasons, including financial.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I'm with all of the others who don't think that an announcement of this hypothetical 4th season would be likely to happen this year. It makes no sense in light of the new box sets, which are positioned for Christmas sales. That said, I suppose that a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors bouncing around would tend to have the effect of raising the level of ambient awareness of Twin Peaks, which could potentially boost sales of the forthcoming box sets.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

All Quiet on the (North)Western Front, though Kyle did post a Flashback Friday pic of Lynch working on The Return yesterday, which was also Kyle's birthday.

Something I always wondered. Do Lynch/Frost fully own the show? If CBS always distributed it, why didn't they decide to buy the show and run a Season 3 after ABC cancelled it back in the day - or revive it for CBS at any point throughout the 90's or 2000's when it became so popular on VHS/DVD,etc? And how come Bravo never expressed interest in a Season 3 either when they bought the rights to air Season 1 and 2 and Lynch shot new Log Lady intros for them? Was it always just up to Lynch/Frost to renew it? Was there never any interest from these networks (or even ABC again once LOST became a hit for them)? I can't seem to find out a lot about how it was on ABC, owned (?) by CBS then Bravo, etc.

Another random thought - if they flew to Hawaii for a couple of days, do you think Ontkean would be willing to film a few scenes? Was looking through his career and it seems he pretty much dropped out of acting a long time ago, apart from a few roles here and there. I wonder why he never became a bigger star. He was so handsome. Maybe not the best actor, but not bad. Get a "couldn't be bothered" vibe from him.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote:All Quiet on the (North)Western Front, though Kyle did post a Flashback Friday pic of Lynch working on The Return yesterday, which was also Kyle's birthday.

Something I always wondered. Do Lynch/Frost fully own the show? If CBS always distributed it, why didn't they decide to buy the show and run a Season 3 after ABC cancelled it back in the day - or revive it for CBS at any point throughout the 90's or 2000's when it became so popular on VHS/DVD,etc? And how come Bravo never expressed interest in a Season 3 either when they bought the rights to air Season 1 and 2 and Lynch shot new Log Lady intros for them? Was it always just up to Lynch/Frost to renew it? Was there never any interest from these networks (or even ABC again once LOST became a hit for them)? I can't seem to find out a lot about how it was on ABC, owned (?) by CBS then Bravo, etc.

Another random thought - if they flew to Hawaii for a couple of days, do you think Ontkean would be willing to film a few scenes? Was looking through his career and it seems he pretty much dropped out of acting a long time ago, apart from a few roles here and there. I wonder why he never became a bigger star. He was so handsome. Maybe not the best actor, but not bad. Get a "couldn't be bothered" vibe from him.
Bottom line is that by 1992, Twin Peaks was 'yesterday's news'. FWWM flopped, Lynch and Frost had moved on to their separate careers, and Kyle was determined never to play Agent Cooper again. Remember that in that era the only real option was to get a show produced on a major network: The era of cable produced original content hadn't really begun and streaming definitely hadn't begun, so there was no room for a show with only niche appeal. It either had mass appeal or it didn't get produced. And by that time, Twin Peaks had been relegated to 'cult' status, where it still resides to this day, and there was no way on Earth to bring back Twin Peaks to a major network. We may have demonized Bob Iger back in the day, but look where he is now. He didn't get to be head of Disney because of his bad business sense.

The reason we got a Season 3 is because the industry changed and a whole lot of factors came together. Cable and streaming created new outlets where ratings ceased to be important; the Internet brought TP fans around the world together as one community and let the business execs know there was a niche market out there; Lynch and Frost came to a point in their careers where it was in both their interest to work together again; Kyle's career never took off the way many of us thought it would, and he was much more amenable to playing Agent Cooper again.

As far as Ontkean, your thoughts are the same as mine. Whatever his health status is, I don't think he's all that motivated to be back into acting unless the camera crew is willing to travel to Hawaii.

As much as I'd like to see him, if even for a cameo, I am skeptical we will ever see Ontkean back as Sheriff Truman.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

If he was only offered scale to reprise the role and had to fly to Washington from Hawaii, I can sort of see why he didn't do it, especially if he does have health issues. He's in his 70's now, was almost 70 then. And what is scale? $3,000 to $7,000 for 3 to 7 days shooting? I assume they'd also pay his flights and accommodation? Not sure. I can sort of see why he might turn down that offer if he's not fussed about being in the limelight and is comfortable where he is. I wish the cast had been paid more and given more screentime overall. I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I was glad Sherilyn Fenn rejected her initial scenes and got them to write her something better. I think more actors should stick up for themselves. I know the TP cast don't have great careers otherwise, but I don't think they were ever treated all that well even on the original series. Must be tough to be in a business like that, where you see the cast of Friends or The Big Bang Theory getting $1 million an episode, and you're being offered scale yet were part of one of the most iconic TV shows of all time. I hope if they bring the show back, they give the cast a lot more money and a lot more screentime, especially the original actors, who had a lot to do with making the show so iconic in the first place. Again, I know this isn't a popular opinion on here - but just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Jonah on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote:If he was only offered scale to reprise the role and had to fly to Washington from Hawaii, I can sort of see why he didn't do it. Regardless of his health (I hope it's good), he's in his 70's now, was almost 70 then. And what is scale? $3,000 to $7,000 for 3 to 7 days shooting? I assume they'd also pay his flights and accommodation? Not sure. I can sort of see why he might turn down that offer if he's not fussed about being in the limelight and is comfortable where he is. I wish the cast had been paid more and given more screentime overall. I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I was glad Sherilyn Fenn rejected her initial scenes and got them to write her something better. I think more actors should stick up for themselves. I know the TP cast don't have great careers otherwise, but I don't think they were ever treated all that well even on the original series. Must be tough to be in a business like that, where you see the cast of Friends or The Big Bang Theory getting $1 million an episode, and you're being offered scale yet were part of one of the most iconic TV shows of all time. I hope if they bring the show back, they give the cast a lot more money and a lot more screentime, especially the original actors, who had a lot to do with making the show so iconic in the first place. Again, I know this isn't a popular opinion on here - but just my 2 cents.
Well now you're getting into some touchy territory because some on this forum claim to have inside info and that Ontkean was all gung-ho to be in the show, but some health or personal issue came up, and that's why he was not in The Return. Allegedly, Sabrina Sutherland confirmed this to somebody at one of the conventions.

Personally, I never thought Ontkean would be in the new series, so it's only natural that I think the 'health issue' was probably just an excuse; he's basically retired and it would take a big chunk of change to fly him out of Hawaii- plus probably wanting to share top billing again. But I'm not sure there was any amount of money or billing that would have enticed him to Washington.

I could be completely wrong, and I mostly trust the info I get from the insiders on this site, but in this case, color me a skeptic until more evidence is presented.

EDIT: I don't think anyone purposefully misled anyone; everything was reported in good faith. And it may end up being that Ontkean was all excited to come to Washington until something really unusual came up.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I see a lot of people online saying they could have been shooting in secret, but I don't buy that. What do you guys think? How likely is that? I think they might have been writing the script all this time since The Return ended, possibly setting up some production, negotiating deals, preparing to start production. But shooting? I think that's unlikely. I also see some people online saying they could have shot a lot of footage during The Return that could be used already for a Season 4. I could maybe see some footage being left over, but The Return feels like they put everything they shot into it pretty much. It doesn't even feel like there were deleted scenes.

Anyway, some of the theories on reddit and on youtube videos, indicates these two things - that they could have already been shooting in secret in studios and using location footage they shot for The Return and/or have shot enough additional footage during The Return to make up a new season. I definitely don't think the second thing is true. As for the first thing, it seems unlikely too. Kyle has been busy shooting a sitcom and SEVERAL other projects (check his imdb), Sheryl Lee is in a play. And would they really shoot a new season entirely in studio and manage to avoid it leaking? When they shot The Return, we saw a lot of footage of them shooting on location. Even assuming they ditched location shooting entirely (unlikely), wouldn't it still leak if they were shooting in secret in a studio?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:
Briefly, my understanding is that L/F own the property outright. Spelling Entertainment (Aaron Spelling’s company) had the exclusive worldwide distribution rights to the original series (i.e., they released the show on video, sold/negotiated the cable/syndication rights, etc.). Eventually, Spelling was sold to CBS, which is where CBS got the distribution rights to the show. CBS was never in a position to do anything besides exploit the existing episodes, nor was anyone else. The only ones who can decide to make new TP are L/F, and they can sell it anywhere they want. Luckily for us, they have a relationship with Nevins, so new TP ended up at Showtime, which is under the CBS corporate umbrella, so all the episodes old and new can conveniently be released in one big box set!
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I think it’s highly unlikely they could have filmed anything in secret - word would have leaked out and certainly they would have been spotted filming somewhere. Plus, Kyle’s been pretty busy with projects (which makes me happy because I love Kyle in anything!). Definitely possible Lynch/Frost have been working quietly on plans for a Season 4 or something else TP related and are just working out an agreement/details with Showtime. I’m still optimistic something’s happening. Just have to wait and see. We had to wait 25 years for Season 3, so I can handle waiting until 2020 :D .