Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by krishnanspace »

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Reading this makes me think about how much this situation is going to fuel the widespread adoption of filming methods similar to those used for The Mandalorian. (Long story short, 90% of it is filmed in a big, tall, round room with floor-to-ceiling LED walls and an LED ceiling, and you can't tell.) This technology is amazing and unquestionably game-changing, but while I find it extremely impressive, it's also depressing, because its efficacy means that virtually everything will eventually be made this way.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jasper wrote:
Reading this makes me think about how much this situation is going to fuel the widespread adoption of filming methods similar to those used for The Mandalorian. (Long story short, 90% of it is filmed in a big, tall, round room with floor-to-ceiling LED walls and an LED ceiling, and you can't tell.) This technology is amazing and unquestionably game-changing, but while I find it extremely impressive, it's also depressing, because its efficacy means that virtually everything will eventually be made this way.
But I guess that would only make sense for films/shows where the background is 100% CGI. I think it’s an alternative to green screen where the director cannot see the background until post production. But for Lynch it would be a great tool , since nothing would get leaked and no paparazzi to film the Palmer house scene ;)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The new Scream movie filmed their entire finale (including a recreation of the famous California house from the original, interiors AND exteriors) in a studio in North Carolina.

I've read that movies like Hitchcock's "Marnie" and, perhaps more notably, "Camelot" were criticized for filming outdoor scenes in studios/on studio backlots, so location shooting became the norm since the 60's. Interesting if we're returning to that, CGI aside. Though things are more advanced, will this lead to artificial-looking sitcom-style exteriors in some cases? But it could add to the ambiance in certain cases, especially in a Lynch movie.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Most outdoor stuff was historically shot in studios in the B&W era in Hollywood. The entirety of Casablanca was shot in studio. Once color came in, the fake nature of the sets became a lot more apparent and location shooting became more common.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Absolutely. Black and white (or sometimes just a nighttime scene in colour) can hide it more. I think Hitchcock (and maybe some others) clung to shooting in studios even when others began to move away from it, as the environment was easier to control. These days you only really see fake-looking outdoor scenes in a sitcom, I think, and even then they often shoot outdoors.

I'm a bit worried the exteriors of the iconic house in the new Scream will look fake, but Googling led me to Francis Ford Coppola's "One from the Heart" (1982!) which has famous scenes shot in studio meant to be outdoors - Las Vegas and McCarran Airport in the rain (the rain and darkness helped, I'm sure). Even a plane flying is shown overhead - but it's all in a studio. (source: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-sce ... Dan-Pepper)

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:Absolutely. Black and white (or sometimes just a nighttime scene in colour) can hide it more. I think Hitchcock (and maybe some others) clung to shooting in studios even when others began to move away from it, as the environment was easier to control. These days you only really see fake-looking outdoor scenes in a sitcom, I think, and even then they often shoot outdoors.

I'm a bit worried the exteriors of the iconic house in the new Scream will look fake, but Googling led me to Francis Ford Coppola's "One from the Heart" (1982!) which has famous scenes shot in studio meant to be outdoors - Las Vegas and McCarran Airport in the rain (the rain and darkness helped, I'm sure). Even a plane flying is shown overhead - but it's all in a studio. (source: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-sce ... Dan-Pepper)

Heh, that’s a beautiful movie visually, but it tanked and bankrupted Coppola. He was supposed to produce Ronnie Rocket at Zoetrope, but he couldn’t afford to after One from the Heart!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Heh, that’s a beautiful movie visually, but it tanked and bankrupted Coppola. He was supposed to produce Ronnie Rocket at Zoetrope, but he couldn’t afford to after One from the Heart!
That's a shame but interesting link.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Just wanted to say, kudos to Jonah for keeping - almost singlehandedly - these threads alive during the news lag!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Agent Earle wrote:Just wanted to say, kudos to Jonah for keeping - almost singlehandedly - these threads alive during the news lag!
Thanks lol. I enjoy the speculation and was away from the forum for a long time so there was plenty to catch up on!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I think actual outdoor filming should be relatively safe covid wise. I don't see any real risk reducing benefit to using led-walls over a well ventilated interior set either. For sci-fi, fantasy and such, it's an amazing technology that certainly surpasses green screen. I still prefer the good old fashioned use of miniatures and matte painting though.

When it comes to hearing more news, the industry is in the same hiatus as the world at this very moment, and we might spend some time waiting for the hype train. We are on the brink of seeing a lot changes globally, with the new covid mutant, yet a vaccine being on the horizon, change of leadership in the us, etc. Next to that, after Christmas it's always a bit quiet when it comes to announcements or releases.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Jonah wrote:The new Scream movie filmed their entire finale (including a recreation of the famous California house from the original, interiors AND exteriors) in a studio in North Carolina.

I've read that movies like Hitchcock's "Marnie" and, perhaps more notably, "Camelot" were criticized for filming outdoor scenes in studios/on studio backlots, so location shooting became the norm since the 60's. Interesting if we're returning to that, CGI aside. Though things are more advanced, will this lead to artificial-looking sitcom-style exteriors in some cases? But it could add to the ambiance in certain cases, especially in a Lynch movie.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

enumbs wrote:
Jonah wrote:The new Scream movie filmed their entire finale (including a recreation of the famous California house from the original, interiors AND exteriors) in a studio in North Carolina.

Great pull!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

enumbs wrote:

I'm not sure if I'd count that as such. It's technically an interior, just with rear projection. A lot of productions do that for driving scenes. Plus I think they did a good job of combining footage in another similar scene to make you believe Kyle was really on the strip.

By "artificial-looking sitcom-style exteriors", I meant more something like this:

Or this (from an actual sitcom):

Last edited by Jonah on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote:
enumbs wrote:

I'm not sure if I'd count that as such. It's technically an interior, just with rear projection. A lot of productions do that for driving scenes. Plus I think they did a good job of combining footage in another similar scene to make you believe Kyle was really on the strip.

By "artificial-looking sitcom-style exteriors", I meant more something like this:

Or this (from an actual sitcom):

I get where you're coming from and note the difference. But I think Lynch was going for a certain artificiality in that (those) scene(s), which lends the sort of weird ambience that you referenced. Which is possibly why enumbs posted it.