Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

Trolling might not be the right word, but I have no doubt Lynch is very aware of the expectations generated from making an announcement that he'll have an announcement.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Lynch Being Lynch.jpg
Lynch Being Lynch.jpg (71.64 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Y'all fell for it. Not me....
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Mordeen wrote:Lynch Being Lynch.jpg

-Mordeen
I hate the fact that I tried a half dozen times to click the play button. Which, let's be honest, is exactly the sort of thing that evil troll Lynch would do! HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT! :evil:
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LOL, he looked fine to me. I'm sure he'll work on something again. I don't understand what makes this forum so prone to people making sweeping bold statements about 'he's done, he'll never do more of [film/TV/Twin Peaks]' based on next to no evidence.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I was expecting nothing more than “I’m working on a new project,” which we all know anyway and would have been a huge shoulder-shrug. I’m sort of glad he did this instead, which made me laugh and also smile at his earnest gratefulness for the fan love. I can see why people are annoyed, but I thought it was funny and sweet.

And yeah, I think he clearly was playing with subtext. We all know WHY he would have stopped doing the weather reports (because he is about to get very busy—nice prediction, krishnanspace!), so in a way he was confirming the rumors with a wink and a nod. I also loved that he didn’t do the weather report, and instead did a very sweet “internal/spiritual” weather wish.

I realize this post sounds very fanboyish and people might accuse me of defending everything he does, but it really did make me laugh and smile. We all know he’s working on a new project, I don’t really care when or how he chooses to announce it.

And yeah, he looks fine to me. Sure, he’s getting older—aren’t we all. I don’t get the constant references to his appearance/health. Harry Dean Stanton looked about two days from death for most of his adult life and he lived to a ripe old age; appearances mean nothing, but Lynch looks perfectly good for his age. I’m digging the beard. I asked on the other forum, but has he ever grown his beard out before beyond a little scruff?
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:... but it really did make me laugh and smile. We all know he’s working on a new project, I don’t really care when or how he chooses to announce it.
I agree. The whole thing for me was a mixture of profound gratitude to his followers on Youtube on the one side. On the other side it's like a conceptual art expirement about expectations. He explored the subject with TPTR. Anyone can call that trolling if they want, but I like it.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Imagine a world where you'd so much as fart and a horde of people will analyze it to look for hidden clues pertaining to a fourth season. That's what he's living, and yes, he's aware of that. Like he said, he reads the comments, and the questions relating to future projects and/or Twin Peaks are probably the most FAQs during interviews spanning his entire career. Can't blame him for playing a little coy and/or having a bit of fun sometimes.

I've even heard people calling season 3 ''one big troll'' because ''omg? he deliberately does the opposite of what i was expecting?''. Well hello, the internet, meet David Keith Lynch. It's a bit undeserving, and in that sense, I feel the term is equally out of place in this scenario.

I have to say though, I'm quite happy I didn't check any news feeds until just now, and I didn't have to spend an entire day in tension.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

I've even heard people calling season 3 ''one big troll''
Crazy outlook; but everyone is a critic...

I feel that TPTR, Mulholland Drive and FWWM are his greatest cinema works...at least two of which were greatly maligned and criticized on initial release. Although, for many years, I'd held Eraserhead, Blue Velvet and FWWM as being untouchable. Our perceptions do change and grow
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

Troll is a bad word for what Lynch likes to do when people come at him with expectations, which he can set up with ease. Take the sweeping scene: it quite artfully sets up expectations. It happened near the end of the 7th episode. I believe all but one end credit sequence up to that point was preceded by an establishing shot of the Roadhouse sign, as was this scene. He's set you up to expect the end credits will start rolling. And then he doesn't. Or the Audrey introduction: after a long 12 episode wait she's introduced in an awkward cut literally mid-pan (there's no way Lynch doesn't know how awkward and abrupt that cut is). Then Audrey acts like a perfect surrogate for an impatient audience member, likely the same ones who were pining for her appearance for 11 episodes in the return to TP. And Lynch knew exactly what would happen when he announced that he'll have an announcement.

If the word must be "troll", I'd counter that coming at David Lynch with expectations is always a foolish idea and you probably deserve to be trolled by a master.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I simply can't understand how seemingly everyone can be so adamant Lynch is currently working on a new project (meaning something other than woodlin' and chiselin' away in his workshop) - virtually NOTHING of official or even semi-official nature has come out about it so far. The so-called reports, rumours, and half-confirmed hearsay from various click-baitish sites and wink-wink, nudge-nudge jerking around of various TP actors on social media we've been getting for, I guess, years now don't count as confirmed facts as far as I'm concerned, especially since when someone tries to pin it down, these "newsbearers" always scatter like dry leaves in the wind - Kimmy Robertson's recent Twitter behaviour regarding this "announcement" debacle is a perfect example (and don't even get me started on MacLachan). Anyway, after the stunt he just pulled, it'd take A LOT for me to be convinced something concrete is truly brewing Lynch's way - " a lot" meaning something like a news conference of the network/streaming platform that's supposed to finance and air the thing, with complete cast and crew in attendance.

As I've said earlier tho', I think there's more chance of the 7th season of The Sopranos happening than it is of getting anything new of Lynch's televised ever again. To those that expressed bewilderment with my initial claim, I can only say: I guess we must've watched a different "Weather Report" yesterday. Have you even truly, fully seen and heard the author? The man looks like a skeleton and sounds like a freight train going uphill. Compared to his present state, the guy giving statements about the announced continuation of TP 6, 7 years ago practically looks like a college freshman! I wouldn't trust him to direct a 2-minute commercial, let alone friggin' 15+ hours of television!

I think Lynch of today is only intersted in maintaining some sort of media outlet to jerk around with his legion of fans to liven things up a little. I'm sorry if what I say irks you, but I just had to express it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agent Earle wrote:I simply can't understand how seemingly everyone can be so adamant Lynch is currently working on a new project (meaning something other than woodlin' and chiselin' away in his workshop) - virtually NOTHING of official or even semi-official nature has come out about it so far. The so-called reports, rumours, and half-confirmed hearsay from various click-baitish sites ....
Production Weekly, a reliable and reputable industry trade publication, said he is working on a series called Unrecorded Night, working title Wisteria, starting filming in May. That’s what I’m going off of, not the HHM bullshit or the tea-leaf-reading some users like to do with MacLachlan’s tweets (not that there’s anything wrong with that, and people clearly find it fun, but I’m a cynic and have found that usually a cigar is just a cigar, and a cherry pie is just a cherry pie). PW would not have published that information without seriously reliable intel.

In terms of Lynch’s appearance/demeanor, the man is 75! I think to call him a skeleton is a ridiculous exaggeration. And “a freight train going uphill”? You make it sound like he talks like Tom Waits. I’m not even remotely hearing anything approaching that hyperbole. In fact, for a lifelong smoker, I’ve never once even heard the man cough in the hours of interviews I’ve watched with him. Again, yes, he’s older than he was at 65, and 45, and 35. But I really do object to this morbid speculation about his health, especially when there’s no basis for it whatsoever.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Confused as to how one would classify Production Weekly, the source that started most of the hype-train, as click-baitish. They don't even run ads for instance. Also, after personally exchanging messages with the initial reddit leaker of ''Wysteria'' and ''Netflix'', I believe he isn't making things up. I will give to you that it's not uncommon in the world of media hype to for fake rumors to circulate. This can go as far as media outlets picking up on fan fiction and presenting as news, which is quite common with mainstream franchises. However, something as cult as TP or David Lynch, isn't nearly as big as a cash grab in terms of garnering visitors for your website. This, and the fact that nearly every single leak we've gotten about S3 has come true, makes me a lot less skeptical about the information we've gotten so far. I will admit: I might be slightly biased by wishful thinking in my belief that the rumors are true, but even without that I'd still lean towards there being some truth to all of this.

Heh, don't read into Earle's hyperboles too much, it's well known he does it for sport.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Agent Earle wrote:I simply can't understand how seemingly everyone can be so adamant Lynch is currently working on a new project (meaning something other than woodlin' and chiselin' away in his workshop) - virtually NOTHING of official or even semi-official nature has come out about it so far. The so-called reports, rumours, and half-confirmed hearsay from various click-baitish sites and wink-wink, nudge-nudge jerking around of various TP actors on social media we've been getting for, I guess, years now don't count as confirmed facts as far as I'm concerned, especially since when someone tries to pin it down, these "newsbearers" always scatter like dry leaves in the wind - Kimmy Robertson's recent Twitter behaviour regarding this "announcement" debacle is a perfect example (and don't even get me started on MacLachan). Anyway, after the stunt he just pulled, it'd take A LOT for me to be convinced something concrete is truly brewing Lynch's way - " a lot" meaning something like a news conference of the network/streaming platform that's supposed to finance and air the thing, with complete cast and crew in attendance.

As I've said earlier tho', I think there's more chance of the 7th season of The Sopranos happening than it is of getting anything new of Lynch's televised ever again. To those that expressed bewilderment with my initial claim, I can only say: I guess we must've watched a different "Weather Report" yesterday. Have you even truly, fully seen and heard the author? The man looks like a skeleton and sounds like a freight train going uphill. Compared to his present state, the guy giving statements about the announced continuation of TP 6, 7 years ago practically looks like a college freshman! I wouldn't trust him to direct a 2-minute commercial, let alone friggin' 15+ hours of television!

I think Lynch of today is only intersted in maintaining some sort of media outlet to jerk around with his legion of fans to liven things up a little. I'm sorry if what I say irks you, but I just had to express it.

I do enjoy how you go against the grain Agent Earle. But you ruin your argument of how we know next to nothing about a rumor that Lynch has an upcoming project with saying Lynch has one foot in grave and is trying to stay relevant.

And about the announcement. I thought before the announcement that he would probably do a fake announcement of some sort. I didnt know it would be about leaving the weather report. I also see how wonderful the youtube message board on lynch's channel is. It really is something incredible. I watch it everyday. I even enjoyed hearing that he wasn't leaving the channel. But i still think its disappointing he said he had a big announcement. During these Covid times some news on Lynch's upcoming project would really feel good. So hoping his announcement was going to give a little info doesn't mean I fell for his con or his troll. I expected the con and hoped for a real announcement on his possible upcoming project.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Agent Earle wrote:I simply can't understand how seemingly everyone can be so adamant Lynch is currently working on a new project (meaning something other than woodlin' and chiselin' away in his workshop) - virtually NOTHING of official or even semi-official nature has come out about it so far. The so-called reports, rumours, and half-confirmed hearsay from various click-baitish sites and wink-wink, nudge-nudge jerking around of various TP actors on social media we've been getting for, I guess, years now don't count as confirmed facts as far as I'm concerned, especially since when someone tries to pin it down, these "newsbearers" always scatter like dry leaves in the wind - Kimmy Robertson's recent Twitter behaviour regarding this "announcement" debacle is a perfect example (and don't even get me started on MacLachan). Anyway, after the stunt he just pulled, it'd take A LOT for me to be convinced something concrete is truly brewing Lynch's way - " a lot" meaning something like a news conference of the network/streaming platform that's supposed to finance and air the thing, with complete cast and crew in attendance.

As others have stated, Production Weekly is an impeccable source which does prove there is something in the works. The attached rumours about the show's budget and duration etc (that originated from Reddit, I believe) could well be nonsense, but we do know there is something happening which is seemingly just waiting to shoot.

I agree with you that his health seems to have declined quite significantly, but again, we know via Production Weekly that contracts have clearly been signed and that they (almost certainly) expect Lynch to be directing. So to say there's more chance of a Sopranos S7 than a new Lynch TV work seems slightly dramatic.