Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jasper »

underthefan wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:55 am Another way to summarize the situation is this:

1) Lynch copyrighted scripts for a project named Unrecorded Night last year but there is a precedent for him registering a script that was never produced

2) PW listing stated a May production start date which was incorrect and thus the listing can be completely dismissed

3) There were rumors of a Netflix project last year but the pandemic may have either indefinitely delayed or put a permanent stop to it (covid precautions would cut considerably into the budget and caused Lynch to film the project for much less than initially agreed upon and of course it wouldn't be the first time Lynch walked out on a project due to what he perceived to be an insufficient budget)

4) A whole bunch of social media activity that could be interpreted in different ways and at the end of the day doesn't offer any concrete proof or really add up to much of anything, but your mileage on this issue may vary
I've been very skeptical and not very excitable, so I basically agree with this, though I'd add Lynch saying he'd be filming if not for covid (if I've got that right). There wasn't all that much wisteria posting, and I didn't read much into it, but when Sabrina dyed her hair purple, then made her profile pic a photo of the back of her head featuring just falling purple hair among green foliage, I really raised an eyebrow.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

This is just my gut feeling and not based on anything posted here or elsewhere, but I feel like if something was planned with Netflix that was canned, it was more Netflix’s doing than Lynch. When they made the decision to stop streaming Seasons 1 and 2, I wondered if that was a sign. I feel like all the seemingly related posts by Kyle, Sabrina, and others was a way of trying to create some hype/excitement to entice them to change their minds. That’s just my theory.

Since we have lurkers among us, I feel like Netflix has become more quantity over quality. If they feel like a production is too complicated or burdensome to make, they don’t want to spend time dealing with it, unless it’s potentially a big money maker with well known stars. I just posted in Hap’s Diner about a show I enjoyed directed by the same guy who did V for Vendetta, and they cancelled it after one season using COVID as an excuse. They could have just said it was going on hiatus until COVID’s over, but no, they cancelled it entirely. They have a big machine to run, a million shows to fund, and zero patience when things get tricky.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I agree, Hester. Netflix is all about quantity over quality. There's some great stuff on there but it's often hard to find or canceled prematurely.

I believe you may have a point there. It's very possible that Lynch wanted a higher budget to accommodate for covid precautions but Netflix wouldn't budge. All of Sabrina's posts as well as wisteria posts may have been a way to prove fan interest to Netflix and for all we know they may still be negotiating. But if this really is TP S4 (which I don't think it is but let's assume so for the sake of the argument), then why not go over to Showtime? Seems like a total no-brainer.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I still think the registering of scripts is more significant than indicated above - yes, there's been a couple that were registered that weren't produced, but I don't think it's a precedent at all as most of the scripts he did go on to produce were copyrighted, and very few he didn't were. There's examples of both but not enough to indicate this is a precedent. And I think some of the unproduced ones were mainly registered with WGA not even filed as copyrights. Now, am I saying it means something is happening for sure? No. It's definitely possibly maybe Sabrina or someone reigstered them out of an abundance of caution and a deal has since fallen through - all of that is possible, but I do think those copyright filings can be taken as a strong indication that something was or is still happening, depending how you look at it. I wouldn't dimiss them is all I'm saying.

With regards to Sabrina's posts being a way to drum up interest to show Netflix, I also disagree on this a bit. It's definitely an interesting theory and, while I understand she would have to be somewhat subtle if there was a pending deal in place and therefore legal reasons that she couldn't say more, I overall think she was too subtle if so. I don't think it really drummed up much speculation, apart from some posts on here and on reddit. I think if she had been going for that she would have said or done something a bit more overt (if not fully) - to really get a twitter post or instagram post go viral for instance, not just some fan rumblings on two forums, a bit of social media posts (but not all in all that much), and maybe one podcast interview where Fenn was asked about it. None of that seems likely nearly enough to entice Netflix, nor do a few postings of wisteria flowers (at least two of which were walked back - by Fenn and MacLachlan). Now, I know the media did pick up on it somewhat, but it still didn't really create much buzz - and most of that came from PW anyway. I'm not dismissing the theory outright, it's interesting and possible, but I feel Sabrina was overall too sublte if that's what she was going for so I think it's unlikely.

I see the PW thing as the most interesting of all the (so far) red herrings. Why was it reported if a Netflix deal wasn't already in place? Why did they stop posting it? Does this indicate it was cancelled? Or merely delayed?

I'm really trying to stay away from speculation, but these are just my thoughts on the above and the previous stuff we've all chewed over a lot already on here. I'm enjoying everyone's opinions - so don't take my disagreements as a debate, just my opinion on your opinions.

My gut feeling is that I think something is still happening and would vote more for delayed over cancelled, simply because - at least so far - Sabrina hasn't tried to shoot it down completely and I think the "right now" comment in and of itself was telling.

So not cancelled, but delayed or still in deliberations - that's my take. I also think thnings could be very tentative and it could go either way.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mojo1976
Roadhouse Member

Post by mojo1976 »

Someone posted this on Reddit; at this point, I just sort of roll my eyes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... &context=3
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I didn't want to post that because it's either completely made up (likely given the way it's written and concluded) or will get someone who's practically named into deep trouble.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I mean, it might be made up, it might be true - but the last sentence could have been written by any of us given all the swirling rumours we've been discussing for months and whether you fall in the "it is happening again" camp or not. He/she doesn't say the person who worked as an assistant said it was happening again (I mean, would a production assistant even know if they were making another season? Probably not.). Yeah, the implication is there, but that's about it. And that part probably does come across a bit like bait, but also easily dismissed if they're called on it. I just took the last sentence to mean what we all know - that there's been talking/rumours of apparently another season.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Jonah wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:20 am I still think the registering of scripts is more significant than indicated above - yes, there's been a couple that were registered that weren't produced, but I don't think it's a precedent at all as most of the scripts he did go on to produce were copyrighted, and very few he didn't were. There's examples of both but not enough to indicate this is a precedent. And I think some of the unproduced ones were mainly registered with WGA not even filed as copyrights. Now, am I saying it means something is happening for sure? No. It's definitely possibly maybe Sabrina or someone reigstered them out of an abundance of caution and a deal has since fallen through - all of that is possible, but I do think those copyright filings can be taken as a strong indication that something was or is still happening, depending how you look at it. I wouldn't dimiss them is all I'm saying.
I wouldn't dismiss registering the scripts at all (it clearly proves there was an intention to make the project), I'm just saying there was a precedent to Lynch registering a script and it never going into production. I believe someone mentioned here that he copyrighted Ronnie Rocket which interestingly also almost happened but fell through in the end. So I'm simply saying registering the script isn't a guarantee of it being produced, not even for Lynch.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I know a precedent just means a previous example, but I usually take it to mean like a pattern of previous examples - and there's really only been one or two. So that's how I read it (though that might not be how you meant it). Yes, there's been an example of a copyrighted script in the past, maybe even two, that weren't produced. But not a pattern - mostly, the pattern is the copyrighted scripts get produced, and a lot of ones that didn't (e.g. Antelope) don't get copyrighted. Plus the projects that previously didn't get made were single scripts/single features. This is a potentially a full season of episodes. Not sure if that makes a difference, but with that distinction in place, no previous Lynch show/multi-episode project has ever been copyrighted and not produced, just movies. I do think it's interesting that thirteen scripts were copyrighted. It indicates they were all possibly written/sketched out at the very least - and that's a lot of material for Lynch to have written for it to go unproduced. It's much more than one feature script. Now maybe Sabrina copyrighted more than what was written based on what the plan is but it still indicates something major. I take your point thought that it could still be cancelled and I don't mean to split hairs or get into the weeds on this issue, just pointing out some possible distinctions that may mean nothing or something. (I keep saying I don't want to speculate, but keep finding myself doing it nevertheless lol.)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

"Wicked Game
toaltp"

TOALTP, anyone?

The owls are like they ---?

The owls are late to party?

The owls are like Twin Peaks?

The Owls aren't like the possums?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Probably The Owls Are Like Twin Peaks. (Could also be The Owls Are Likely The Producers.)
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

By precedent, I simply mean to say that it's happened before. One time is enough to make a precedent. And though most of his copyrighted scripts got produced, they didn't have a deadly global pandemic to contend with. Not to say that things might not change at some point in time, but at this moment I think chances of production are slim.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... ame=iossmf

Guys check this out. Don’t know how true this is. The authors account is 6 years old, so I don’t think he might make this up. Also if he wanted attention he would have written the last sentence in the title itself
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Krishnan, we discussed it a bit on the previous page! He/she doesn't specify the assistant said that, just states what all the rumours say (apparently another season is being made) so any of us could have written that based on any of the recent speculation, but even if he is implying his/her friend said it, why would a production assistant be privy to that information at this early stage when some of the cast might not even know? Seems unlikely. And it doesn't sound like they were a high-up production assistant either. So unless filming has already started, I can't imagine they would know yet. Of course, they might have heard some rumblings, but so have the rest of us.

Regarding the copyrights, underthefan, this is also the first time a multi-episode project has been copyrighted (other than probably Twin Peaks or MD), both of which were produced, MD admittedly cancelled then later salvaged. So it may not really line up with the unproduced feature scripts which would have been different studios, less commitment in terms of scope (and possibly writing time, though not necessarily as a feature could take years to write and episodes could be written more quickly, but generally it would seem one script takes less time than several). Not sure if it makes a major difference (movies vs. TV), especially now with different streaming services and studios, etc. - but the distinction might be worth noting. And I think the other projects fell through due to lack of financing/studios going under which wouldn't be the case with Showtime or Netflix, but the pandemic is definitely a point to note in terms of delays/extra expense etc. that could lead to cancellation. I still maintain copyrighting thirteen scripts lends to a bigger commitment so even if the project is/was cancelled, they might go back to Showtime or shop it further - and also the scripts may not have been finished/copyrighted until after a studio commitment was made? A single feature script is more likely to be written on spec, not so sure about multiple episodes unless there was already some sort of agreement in place. Not sure but stuff to ponder.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Histeria wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:12 am "Wicked Game
toaltp"

TOALTP, anyone?

The owls are like they ---?

The owls are late to party?

The owls are like Twin Peaks?

The Owls aren't like the possums?

I too thought of " The Owls are late to Party" but no clue it should probably be late to the party.

Hey Mordeen PM me what the letters stand for since most people on here are sick of rumors. (I don't think he'll tell me)

I go threw phases where I'm sick of waiting and think is it too much to ask just to know if its happening or not. I think we all experience this.

But then I have to remember Lynch works in secrecy on purpose. He wants us wondering. He also doesn't owe us anything and there's art in the unknown and not revealing until ready. Then you have to factor Covid into play. There's rumors that they were planning on announcing something at the Graceland TP fest, fake announcements, delays, cancelations all this could be contributed to covid. and we should all have some patience on possible projects that may have needed to extend the secrecy longer than intended. Covid may have some how completely killed the project. If people are sick of wondering maybe stop checking this thread.

Lastly imagine being asked about season 4 all the time. Imagine being asked the meaning of things all the time. Imagine being asked what's the secret project all the time. Lynch obviously doesn't want to tell us anything. It's only human to want to know. I want to know. But I understand why Lynch doesn't just tell us. Watch this video it shows how fans are always trying to find out what is happening and he gives wonderful answers. His answers also helps me with coming to terms with the fact that we're suppose to be just wondering about the upcoming project and if there' is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN3Ta4Dlx2M
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.