Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

johndaker wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:26 am
Jonah wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:34 am And was the HHM tweet really all the way back in 2019? Wow. That went by quickly.
You just might be the only person on earth who thinks the time since 2019 has flown by!
I was just shocked that the HHM tweet was over two years ago, it felt more recent to me!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Jonah wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:27 am
eyeboogers wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:59 am I am with enumbs on this one. Unrecorded Night followed directly by production on Twin Peaks sounds like a classic grandiose "Obnoxious and Anonymous" type of rumour. I hope that I am wrong to not put any stock in it, since it would be perfect, but I think it is the "too good to be true" kind of perfect.
TwinsPeak wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:15 am I gotta say I'm in the same boat. I actually believe DJ it just sounds too amazingly wonderful.

I really hope its true.

like someone else said if true maybe Wisteria/UN could be really small and TP after "waiting" is the big budget....lines up with the other clues we have.
Yeah, even though I'm the one who says I've heard talk, I firmly agree - it does very much sound too good to be true. Unless one is a shorter production, one is a movie, one isn't completely helmed by Lynch, etc. But even then, I'm very skeptical. I still think if anything's happening it's some sort of anthology show, mostly a Lynch original, with some TP characters.
DJ your news is too beautiful...please be true.

Usually projects even Lynch projects if they are their own thing like maybe Wisteria/UN might be if true. They dont usually come with news that another maybe larger scale project is waiting in the wings. Both projects might be related in some way if true like you said Jonah.

all the above aside.....It very well could be true. I might become a believer. Not sure where I stand on it now...Sounds good tho. especially TP waiting with nice bow on it. hmmm
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Just thinking "out loud" here but depending on how in the know DJ's source is or their interpretation of the details...is it possible that whatever the "unrelated" project is is that 1950s/New Mexico prequel of sorts thing that Mordeen alluded to? Perhaps folks in the know aren't really considering it TP and talking it down as such among friends since it's pretty divorced from the continuing narrative (i.e. not set in TP, no Cooper, younger unknown actors, etc.) but there's also more of a "season 4" that's more of a straightforward continuation (well, for Lynch anyway) also in the works, perhaps with Kyle, Sheryl and the usual TP crew involved?
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Ickles wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:17 am Just thinking "out loud" here but depending on how in the know DJ's source is or their interpretation of the details...is it possible that whatever the "unrelated" project is is that 1950s/New Mexico prequel of sorts thing that Mordeen alluded to? Perhaps folks in the know aren't really considering it TP and talking it down as such among friends since it's pretty divorced from the continuing narrative (i.e. not set in TP, no Cooper, younger unknown actors, etc.) but there's also more of a "season 4" that's more of a straightforward continuation (well, for Lynch anyway) also in the works, perhaps with Kyle, Sheryl and the usual TP crew involved?
I want this very badly probably too much.

I'll pay anything I already got netflix. lets go!
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

I'M FLOATING, THIS IS LIKE A DREAM,.... BUT, WHO IS THE DREAMER?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

DL doesnt knock out projects like Steven Soderbergh does. He really takes his time with things. Return wrapped production in like Feb or March of 2016, and then a year in post. so I dunno about the two TV show seasons back-to-back thing. I think DL said he got sick twice making the Return, 16 hour days, got home really late often and had to sleep in a room with blackened out windows..
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Doesn't Netflix sometimes produce "split seasons" of things? I think the last season of Ozark that's coming out is being split into 2 parts, ostensibly with a decent gap in between episodes. I think one of the more recent seasons of Arrested Development (after it moved to being a Netflix Original) was cut in half too, with almost a year long gap in between. They've also done it with Kimmy Schmidt, their Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot, etc. Could it be possible that they would follow a similar release model for this? With the whole project ostensibly being one thing production/budget wise but the release being split into 2 things, like a prequel/1950s half and then a second set of episodes that's more set in TP like 6 months-a year later? Again, I'm just thinking out loud. I have absolutely no inside knowledge and am not basing this on anything but speculation. But it's a slow Friday at my work and I got nothing better to do!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I took the recent rumours to mean the Netflix show (Wisteria/Unrecorded Night) was separate from Twin Peaks Season 4 and that, presumably, that would go back to Showtime? That was my reading of it but perhaps I'm reading it wrong?

It would make sense if it was with Netflix, with the 85 million budget, spanning that and maybe another show.

If that budget is true and it's just for the Lynch original show - and not Twin Peaks, and that Twin Peaks goes back to Showtime - then Wisteria/Unrecorded Night is not going to be a low-budget show or a series of shorts, which then means Lynch is undertaking two massive, high-budget shows potentially with different studios - which goes back to really stretching credibility.

I don't know. I'm confused lol.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Just to clarify on a few things really quick and again please take all of this with a grain of salt as I have no way of verifying the information that I was told.

The Netflix project is separate from Twin Peaks and it might be an Inland Empire style production. However I was told the details for the Netflix project are scarce. For Twin Peaks, there will be a fourth season, not a movie. It’s in the early stages but Kyle is set for it.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

DougieJones wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:00 pm Just to clarify on a few things really quick and again please take all of this with a grain of salt as I have no way of verifying the information that I was told.

The Netflix project is separate from Twin Peaks and it might be an Inland Empire style production. However I was told the details for the Netflix project are scarce. For Twin Peaks, there will be a fourth season, not a movie. It’s in the early stages but Kyle is set for it.
Thanks Dougie. I have a couple of questions you may not be able to answer.

Do you think the reported budget of 85 million for the Netflix show is untrue then? Do you know - or think - Twin Peaks will be back on Showtime?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Ickles wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:42 am Doesn't Netflix sometimes produce "split seasons" of things? I think the last season of Ozark that's coming out is being split into 2 parts, ostensibly with a decent gap in between episodes. I think one of the more recent seasons of Arrested Development (after it moved to being a Netflix Original) was cut in half too, with almost a year long gap in between. They've also done it with Kimmy Schmidt, their Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot, etc. Could it be possible that they would follow a similar release model for this? With the whole project ostensibly being one thing production/budget wise but the release being split into 2 things, like a prequel/1950s half and then a second set of episodes that's more set in TP like 6 months-a year later? Again, I'm just thinking out loud. I have absolutely no inside knowledge and am not basing this on anything but speculation. But it's a slow Friday at my work and I got nothing better to do!
I'm not sure about splitting it up, but I do have thoughts on whether it will be released all at once in a different way. Depending on what this may be...if it is a straight up series or even a series of semi-related short films, it could very well be doled out in weekly installments one part at a time per Lynch's preference to let the material marinate in the mind rather than rushing through it--I know that the traditional weekly release of The Return on Showtime was a must for Lynch/Frost (and really emphasized the theme and weight of time's passage as we waited week by week for, amongst other things, Cooper to return). Releasing one part per week would be similar to what Netflix is doing with their current Fear Street films. Three films in the saga, released one per week rather than all on the same day.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:03 pm
DougieJones wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:00 pm Just to clarify on a few things really quick and again please take all of this with a grain of salt as I have no way of verifying the information that I was told.

Do you think the reported budget of 85 million for the Netflix show is untrue then? Do you know - or think - Twin Peaks will be back on Showtime?
No problem! I sadly wasn’t told any information about that. All I know is the generalized details not any specifics.
"Jade give two rides."
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I've decided to keep my excitement at low for now, until i hear anything close to official. I do hope it to be true sounds really nice.

Finding out about not 1 but 2 projects is quite the whopper. especially if separate projects.

What makes me doubt it is its too tidy, if separate why do we get to know both things.... Its what I want. That and you joined in May

But I can't say you're lying either. it all appears to makes sense. I don't even feel like you're lying.

Time will tell.

Did DJ crack the case wide open or is it wrong info????

I've stocked up on salt.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

DougieJones wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:14 pm
Jonah wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:03 pm

No problem! I sadly wasn’t told any information about that. All I know is the generalized details not any specifics.
so, no idea if this project is an anthology series or a series of shorts or a continuing story...?

thanks for all the info DJ!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:30 am the new rumor mill seems to be based on - Sabrina saying 'pleasant feelings' to someone, use of purple in an umbrella in an old pic and mulholland drive pic,
and this guy @therodehaus on reddit saying production starting up...
Might I take the opportunity of your post to remind everyone that a somewhat more prestigious source than just "this guy on reddit" claimed the production of this new ... thing is slated to start in early May. Well it's now almost mid-July and look how that played out. No additional comment needed.
Last edited by Agent Earle on Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.