Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by eyeboogers »

underthefan wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:14 pm Too much tinfoil hat for me but to be fair I did hear two different version of what it could be both of these could be true:

https://twitter.com/nickwibert/status/1 ... 56291?s=20

https://twitter.com/ImoveCar/status/142 ... 94405?s=20
What year is this?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Jonah wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:34 pm
Audrey Horne wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:40 am perhaps there was a kernel of an idea if they were to continue.
I think that kernel was Carrie Page. Lynch said her story was "calling to" him. But maybe he couldn't come up with enough other stories to link to that. I'm not sure. I have said before a movie featuring Laura/Carrie Page, like a sort of spiritual successor to FWWM, could be great. Throw in RIchard/Cooper and Audrey and you've got your main three dangling threads tied up in a movie that could potentially create hundreds more lol.

If I was Lynch/Frost, I'd do something like that - a direct movie to follow up on Carrie/Richard (and maybe Audrey), let Lynch do it mostly alone like FWWM, while Frost assembles a team of writers to start a Season 4 that focuses on the other characters and the town, then slowly weaves the three from the movie back in, with Lynch returning to direct some key episodes. Kind of like the way they split their duties between The Return and the books. Something like that would be ideal for me (but I know many fans would disagree), but even just the movie would be great without another season if they don't want to continue beyond that.
Audrey Horne wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:40 am But I wouldn’t doubt if Lynch’s new project incorporated elements from the world and some familiar faces.
Yes, this is quite possible too - the anthology-style or TP-adjacent idea we've discussed. I think that could be very possible too if there's no direct Twin Peaks return (and the longer that goes by without it, as you also indicated, the less likely that's looking).
I hear ya. But in terms of producing a new show, I don’t think they thought of continuing it after a brief hiatus. More lkke hmm, winder what would happen if we continued. Most likely in anything he does, I think we’ll see more elements of what fascinated him (probably with other characters, actors) that we would see possibilities of the Cooper, Audrey, Carrie’s plights.

Personally, I was quite surprised with the finale of The Return. Only in regards to I thought they were doing a gotcha moment in fooling the public with the show not continuing. I really was expecting an announcement at the end of the episode or the next day of Stayed tuned for the next season.

I talked to one of the actresses that night and said, nice try, so you guys are obviously making more right? And she said she has no idea, as much in the dark as everyone else. That was four years ago already.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Audrey Horne wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:39 pm Personally, I was quite surprised with the finale of The Return. Only in regards to I thought they were doing a gotcha moment in fooling the public with the show not continuing. I really was expecting an announcement at the end of the episode or the next day of Stayed tuned for the next season.
I felt like that too. Actually, since I watched part 18 a few days after it premiered, I thought that season 4 was possibly already announced in the meantime.

Now, after almost two years of checking this thread on a daily basis, I am finally losing hope that we will ever get a continuation.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Stavrogyn wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:28 am Now, after almost two years of checking this thread on a daily basis, I am finally losing hope that we will ever get a continuation.
It's been over four years that I've been checking this thread on a more or less daily basis, and I haven't had very much hope for almost half of that time. It's not that I think that it's impossible, it's just that I don't see any reason for optimism, especially given covid.

People have talked about the artistic tragedy it would be if covid has scuttled plans for a Lynch directorial project of some sort, and they're right, but on the other hand, we can thank our lucky stars that Lynch/Frost happened to complete TP:TR prior to this interminable state of affairs.

All of that said, I think that it's perfectly healthy to keep a tiny little spark of hope alive, provided that it doesn't become something too unrealistic and desperate.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:58 am Even if the photo was taken today, it still wouldn't mean anything, because there would be no reason to believe that it has any connection with any kind of upcoming project.

I mean, of course there is. The first AD is absolutely someone who Lynch would have a pre-production meeting with. Doesn't mean that's what it is, but to say there's "no reason" is just silly. Pessimism may be good for your level of relaxation, but that doesn't make it logical. And if you read my post history you know I'm not someone who interprets every little thing as a sign. I think the thread is suffering a bit from Boy Who Cried Wolf syndrome. Getting excited about every dopey wisteria post on IG from anyone even tangentially related to Lynchland has people jaded to the point where they dismiss something much more salient, like this photo.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Jasper wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:32 am
All of that said, I think that it's perfectly healthy to keep a tiny little spark of hope alive, provided that it doesn't become something too unrealistic and desperate.
I have an opposing view. Fan demand, disc sales and persistent rumours showed both CBS and Mark Frost that more Twin Peaks was a viable project. So let's be as loud and persistent as possible.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

I agree with you eyeboogers. Its all about finding a hook or point of interest. The #wisteria postings could be seen as a little desperate mainly because its not led anywhere.

But in terms of fandom, if you want to make videos talking Twin Peaks etc I say that's great. I hold one guy Space Cadet in high esteem with the 12 Rainbow Trout video he has on YouTube.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:54 am I agree with you eyeboogers. Its all about finding a hook or point of interest. The #wisteria postings could be seen as a little desperate mainly because its not led anywhere.

But in terms of fandom, if you want to make videos talking Twin Peaks etc I say that's great. I hold one guy Space Cadet in high esteem with the 12 Rainbow Trout video he has on YouTube.
I found those videos quite upsetting to watch. It was a little uncomfortable reading comments which were basically encouraging him to continue pursuing those thought patterns. Then again, maybe Twin Peaks is a better outlet for that kind of thinking than other aspects of life.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSj1RILlKmZ ... =copy_link

Haha. Is that a film real under his hand?

It's been weeks since we had something that could be vaguely mistaken for something it likely isn't.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I assumed styrofoam coffee cup. And when there is only six cups left in Lynch's studio it is time for an emergency plan.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I meant the other thing that's more under his hand than the stryofoam cup.

Now that you mention it, if the cup represents his coffee ritual then without that particular chemical, he's pointing. Happy accident.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

enumbs wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:05 am I found those videos quite upsetting to watch......
Overall though I felt that the amount of great observation was high. I mean, the piece of 'meat' in the car boot scene (with Detective Macklay) - that really does look like rainbow trout sushi. Could Lynch have omitted post-killer reveal episodes from seasons 1 and 2 and this makes a comparable 18 to The Return?? - it sounds like a stretch but he could have doodled something like that.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:44 am https://www.instagram.com/p/CSj1RILlKmZ ... =copy_link

Haha. Is that a film real under his hand?

It's been weeks since we had something that could be vaguely mistaken for something it likely isn't.
Is that an old photo? For some reason, the Jack Rabbit's scene was the first thing that came to my mind, though looking at it again, I don't think so - it just reminded me maybe of the scroll they found or something.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jonah, do you mean the roll of paper inside the small metal container/ capsule from Betty Briggs' chair? I am not sure what that object would be called technically.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yeah, I think that's what I was thinking about. On first glance, I thought of it and assumed it was an old photo, until I looked more closely.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.