Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

AXX°N N. wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:42 pm
ManBehindWinkies wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:14 pm I'm not familar with any prior connection between the two other than the rumor that Spielberg was interested in directing the Twin Peaks Season 2 premiere.
Flipped through Room to Dream's index out of curiosity. Apparently Spielberg was a fan of Inland Empire, and Lynch once told him at a party that he (Spielberg) was lucky, because the things he loves "millions of people love," but the things Lynch loves "thousands of people love;" to which Spielberg told him "we might be reaching a point when just as many people have seen Eraserhead as have seen Jaws," but to which Lynch wasn't so sure. This was around the time of Straight Story and in response to it not doing so well. Not sure what Spielberg meant; maybe something having to do with the internet and widespread availability? I certainly do know people who have seen Eraserhead but not Jaws. :)
Ah yes I remember Laura Dern speaking about a world famous director she'd worked with who makes completely different films from Lynch who loved Inland Empire and had a very specific interpretation of what the film was about (I can't recall that interpretation at the moment). She didn't name the director but it would make sense if she was speaking about Spielberg.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Jasper wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:41 pm
Some people have observed that Otis in The Return (“Mister C, Mister C.”) is reminiscent of Hank Worden.
THANK YOU. In the Z-to-A BTS videos, the actor playing Otis says something and Lynch quickly interjects to remind him "you're playing Otis" as if to say 'not that other guy we may have discussed away from the camera'. I always felt that scene and its characters were echos of something else.

I had a vague feeling towards the Red Room and Droolcup but didn't really dwell on it too long to commit either way. Perhaps even the room above the convenience store and meeting participants there.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

ManBehindWinkies wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:43 am
AXX°N N. wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:42 pm
ManBehindWinkies wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:14 pm I'm not familar with any prior connection between the two other than the rumor that Spielberg was interested in directing the Twin Peaks Season 2 premiere.
Flipped through Room to Dream's index out of curiosity. Apparently Spielberg was a fan of Inland Empire, and Lynch once told him at a party that he (Spielberg) was lucky, because the things he loves "millions of people love," but the things Lynch loves "thousands of people love;" to which Spielberg told him "we might be reaching a point when just as many people have seen Eraserhead as have seen Jaws," but to which Lynch wasn't so sure. This was around the time of Straight Story and in response to it not doing so well. Not sure what Spielberg meant; maybe something having to do with the internet and widespread availability? I certainly do know people who have seen Eraserhead but not Jaws. :)
Ah yes I remember Laura Dern speaking about a world famous director she'd worked with who makes completely different films from Lynch who loved Inland Empire and had a very specific interpretation of what the film was about (I can't recall that interpretation at the moment). She didn't name the director but it would make sense if she was speaking about Spielberg.
There's another Dern quote about Spielberg/Lynch (maybe from the same interview?) where she said she felt they were quite similar as directors and how Spielberg was a little taken aback when she told him that given the difference in general styles of their films :lol:

Would love to hear more about Spielberg's Inland Empire experience ha.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Histeria wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:15 am
Some people have observed that Otis in The Return (“Mister C, Mister C.”) is reminiscent of Hank Worden.
THANK YOU. In the Z-to-A BTS videos, the actor playing Otis says something and Lynch quickly interjects to remind him "you're playing Otis" as if to say 'not that other guy we may have discussed away from the camera'.
Isn't it because the actor introduces himself using his real name? As we know Lynch is big on referring to people by their character names on set. I may be misremembering or thinking of a different moment...
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

BGate wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:27 am
Histeria wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:15 am
THANK YOU. In the Z-to-A BTS videos, the actor playing Otis says something and Lynch quickly interjects to remind him "you're playing Otis" as if to say 'not that other guy we may have discussed away from the camera'.
Isn't it because the actor introduces himself using his real name? As we know Lynch is big on referring to people by their character names on set. I may be misremembering or thinking of a different moment...
Could be! I can't remember exactly what lead to it but it may have been at the beginning of the shot and not included. Will have another look tonight.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

It's funny that Lynch and Spielberg are the two directors whose movies I've been to the most individual times in the theater - 30 for Lynch and 31 for Spielberg, whether that was first-run or a classic showing (and of course a bunch of repeat viewings). I'm not overly big on Spielberg, especially not his work in the past two decades, but he just makes a lot of movies.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

Sorry, probably isn't the time or place, but just felt compelled to log on and express my opinion that Spielberg is a masterful director, that in some ways he seems oddly underrated, and that his filmmaking techniques are only getting more sophisticated and exciting even at this stage of his career. His use of the camera to advance the narrative of his films always feels ingenious to me, even in stupid crap like that video game movie from a couple years ago. (Most of his bad films would be unwatchable if directed by anyone else.) This unlike some of his lauded peers, whose cinematic bouncy-ball square-dancing is just so much visual noise (I'm looking at you, Scorsese, you overrated hack.) Err.. rant over, I guess. Excited by this development.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I don't necessarily agree with Terry Gilliam here, because I don't think all great film has to make you think or be open ended in interpretation, but here is Gilliam's critique of Spielberg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAKS3rdYTpI

Overall, I am really glad about this new development.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, I've seen this Terry Gilliam rant before. There's things about Schindler's List I don't care for, the red symbolism with the dress I thought was over the top for example, that treated the audience a bit like we're all children, and lots of Joseph Campbell esque obvious storytelling in general with the hero undergoing story beat changes in awareness etc. It's not the most perfect film in the world.

but I dont totally get where he's from about the failure thing, saving just one person's life is an accomplishment. It's quite an emotional scene where Schindler breaks down there at the end he couldn't save more people, I think Gilliam's mischaracterizing that quite a bit. The film is called Schindler's List and not Holocaust: The Movie, it's just telling this one particular story.

I actually think the ending with all of the actual descendants of the people Schindler saved visiting his grave in Israel to be remarkably moving, and one of the greatest endings I've ever seen in a film.

I haven't seen every Spielberg movie in last 20 years, but I liked Bridge of Spies and Munich. I thought Munich had some ambiguity in the end there about the cycle of violence and leaves the viewer with questions, violence acts just breed more violent acts. I wouldn't characterize that as a 'neat bow' at the end.
Last edited by JackwithOneEye on Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

Metamorphia wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:22 am
Would love to hear more about Spielberg's Inland Empire experience ha.
I wish I could remember where I saw this Dern interview. I think it was during PR for Twin Peaks Season 3,
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I've seen somewhere Laura Dern mention both Spielberg and Demme asking her questions about Lynch. I can't remember where. I can't remember when she worked with Demme even, though I know she was in the running for the Clarice role.

One other Spielberg connection in Room to Dream, I think the co-author says that Lynch was offered American Beauty by Dreamworks. But in his side of things, Lynch says he doesn't remember that.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I’m not sure if this means anything and it could all just be a coincidence but I was doing some digging.

On April 22nd of 2021, Rancho Rosa filled out productions filing paperwork in California. This was the first time they filed new paperwork since 2015.

The next day on April 23rd 2021, FateColossal put out a twitter thread about how Kyle was at a private event and he said that “I don't know how it sort of started getting kind of out there in the world. To my knowledge, David is, um - well, I don't know, if he's working on something he doesn't really confide in me with that kind of stuff.” On the same day FateColossal added how Kyle liked a tweet from a Twin Peaks account about Wisteria.

https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 04579?s=21

Rancho Rosa was never attached to any of the Unrecorded Night production listings. But why would it have been essentially reactivated.
Attachments
77601572-4602-46CA-B0DC-0B5158C78D32.jpeg
77601572-4602-46CA-B0DC-0B5158C78D32.jpeg (344.9 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
"Jade give two rides."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Thank you, Dougie, this is the kind of information I've been really missing for months now! I want to keep my hope alive, even if it's false.

Was this mentioned before? I don't remember it being mentioned, even though I follow this thread really carefully. It happened during the period of most rampant speculation, so I find it hard to believe it passed unnoticed.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Histeria wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:43 am Rancho Rosa submitted a statement of information with zero changes on April 22 2021. This statement is required under California law in odd-numbered years to keep a company active.

It was submitted by David Lynch via electronic signature. Frost remains CEO and secretary of this company while Lynch is CFO.

There have been no organisational changes since the company was registered. Fred Altman (who works on behalf of Frost for other companies) remains registered agent and not Toni Long (who works for Lynch on his companies including A2K and TP Productions. Altman was removed as agent for Twin Peaks Productions around the same time Frost was no longer present in directorship roles.

Note that the assets and set props for The Return are almost certainly owned by Rancho Rosa so there would need to be a legal entity that acts as custodian for these assets regardless of any potential new season. So this new filing does not in any way confirm that they're cooking something up.

They're clearly holding on to them in a warehouse of some kind in LA. And from pictures of props and set dressing I've seen, they're all tagged with archival serial numbers and a Rancho Rosa logo on the tag. So in terms of databasing and coding these assets they're very much keeping up on it.

However, if Rancho Rosa owns the tangible assets, Twin Peaks Productions owns the trademarks. Again, we cannot know whether Frost still has his ownership share in TTP from looking at his absence as director. And he has confirmed in interviews conducted after those changes were filed that he still owns Twin Peaks along wit Lynch. So we can deduce from this statement that he has not yielded his ownership despite Lynch taking over all directorship roles in Twin Peaks Productions and Altman being removed.
Last discussed here after RDR mentioned "Rancho Rosa" at an event in response to S4 questions from audience. Rancho Rosa hasn't been inactive, though. They've filed "no change" statements of information every year since 2015, as required by the California Secretary of State (apart from the first one which is every odd numbered year, hence no 2016 SI). Basically there have been no changes to the corporate structure since 2015, unlike Twin Peaks Productions. Also note California doesn't require declaration of who owns shares, so someone being removed from management roles within a company cannot be taken as confirmation they've also yielded ownership of the company. Especially when Frost himself has confirmed he still owns it after filings showed he was no longer in his TPP role.

22 Apr 2021
SI-NO CHANGE

12 Mar 2020
SI-NO CHANGE

23 May 2019
SI-NO CHANGE

1 Jun 2018
SI-NO CHANGE

6 Jun 2017
SI-NO CHANGE
Last edited by Histeria on Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Histeria wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:37 am Last discussed here after RDR mentioned "Rancho Rosa" at an event in response to S4 questions from audience. Rancho Rosa hasn't been inactive, though. They've filed "no change" statements of information every year since 2015, as required by the California Secretary of State.
I forgot about that! Thank you, Histeria, for clarifying, you're always full of useful information :D

However, even though this is old news and doesn't necessarily mean anything, I still got my fix for the day, so I'm satisfied.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)