Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by mtwentz »

Histeria wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:20 pm We don't "know P/L" but we do know from statements to its own shareholders (which cite actual figures included in the confidential filings not published by the SEC for obvious reasons) that Twin Peaks was considered one of the main contributors to a surge in subscribers the previous year.

We know Nevins has stated that he's just watching for Lynch's call to make more Twin Peaks.

We know Twin Peaks international distribution deals were cited three seperate times in the shareholder statements as one of the key parts of its International growth strategy.

This is before the commissioning side of the company became a lotto-winner's free-for-all this year.
Also, maybe the fact that they have taken over the 'conventions' (the Graceland thing) shows us that Twin Peaks in general and The Return in particular is profitable.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

It was clearly a play at boosting their streaming platform. Twin Peaks is nothing like what Showtime usually airs.

By streaming episodes three and four on the same night it aired the S3 opener it's no wonder viewship was so weighted towards internet streaming.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

enumbs wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:40 pm
Rainwater wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:50 am
Histeria wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:17 amWhat if the Roadhouse scenes weren't some heady philosophical meditation on the mundane everyday lives of people we don't know. Or subtle critiques of audience expectations and a priori assumptions on what True Art should strive to be,. What if they were just stuff to be addressed later or stuff they had to cut out.
Hah. Do people think that? To me, those scenes are just little bits of.. world building I guess, that help create the illusion of there being this wider, living world out there, with its own stories and mysteries, that we're only getting a little glimpse of. Whether or not there's any particular meaning to them, or plot threads to be picked up on, I think they fill that function brilliantly.
I think your own interpretation of the scenes aligns quite nicely with the description of them as a “meditation on the mundane everyday lives of people we don't know”. As for the rest of Histeria’s characterisation of fan opinion, I do think it’s accurate in most respects. I would certainly say that the vignettes play with audience expectations in quite an interesting way, and in particular with our desire to draw connections to the wider narrative of the show. I don’t think I’ve noticed anyone specifically claim the scenes exemplify what True Art should aspire to be, but I have seen plenty of people talk about them as a highlight of the season. They’re definitely some of mine for reasons I go into here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 64#p132964
Rainwater wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:50 am
enumbs wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:34 am I’m sure some of the more obscure moments of season 3 will get the Blue Rose/Judy treatment in any future season.
I really wish they wouldn't. I just want more mystery and novelty.
There’s always a tension between mystery and revelation in Twin Peaks, but I think the last thing that Lynch would want to do is demystify it entirely. There were parts of the Return which initially seemed too straightforwardly expositional on first viewing, but I loved how the finale cast so much of what we knew into doubt once again.
Cool, I like your description there of "the sense of further stories just out of frame that we’re never going to be able to understand", it's just what appeals to me in those scenes.
And yes I agree, Lynch would be the last person to remove mystery from Twin Peaks. But I have to say, the bits of exposition and demystification that exist in The Return are some of my least favorite moments.
I'll see you in the trees
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

There's always the possibility of this very forum being some Twitter account's source of excitement ;) Not unlike how it used to be the source of many for rumors and leaks.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

There's that. A lot of the hype during last year's cycle was often self-perpetuating echo chamber stuff where A would say something based on B then C assumes A knows something when in fact A was referring to B in the first place. In actuality, B was basing their original contribution on C who'd actually heard it first from A.

(I sincerely doubt that's the case for Scott Wrampler and Scare Mag, although it's possible one of them is basing it off the other).
Last edited by Histeria on Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

That's Mr. C to you.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I don't think it means anything about a potential S4 (YMMV) but still nice to see:
https://twitter.com/mfrost11/status/1496282162571583488
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

Hey y’all, I’ve been lurking in this thread from the beginning, digesting every post, but for whatever reason never felt like posting till now. Thought maybe you guys would be interested in a fresh perspective on everything? I was absolutely over the moon beyond words when the unrecorded night/wisteria info was coming out, and after a period of massive disappointment when it gradually became evident that it probably wasn’t moving forward, did reach a period when I accepted that it was likely over. It’s exciting to see this thread lively again and to be a little bit hopeful again but I’m not going to get my hopes up more than a little bit until there’s something more concrete to go off of again. I definitely fall in the middle of the road of the posters here, if you’ve got the posters who see everything as a sign that it’s happening again and those who err on the side of dismissing glimmers of hope, I’m right in the middle. Here are some thoughts gleaned from obsessively reading this whole thread, fatecolossal’s posts, etc, the big ones that keep coming back to me when thinking about the state of this project. Curious what you all think, even if just to stir the pot a bit :)

1. The final nail in the coffin for me personally was when in November Sabrina posted on her IG the clip of Lynch saying “and I gotta figure out what the hell I’m gonna do there, cause I don’t have a fucking clue, it’s so boring right now” with the captions “well said mr Lynch” and “Thinking about 2022.” Now I know she may not have added the “thinking about 2022” caption herself as it was just a repost, and I could definitely be reading too much into this, but I interpreted her posting that Lynch quote w/ the reference to 2022 as her saying she doesn’t know what she’s going to be doing in 2022/2022 looks boring because there are no plans for wisteria/UN at the moment. Even if I read into that too much, symbolically that was the moment I finally stopped hanging on and accepted that it probably isn’t happening, after being actively bummed about it since nothing happened in may 2021.
2. I was finally moving on, and then the following week Peter demming says he “assumes” it will still happen at some point. Now the word assumes is making a huge lift, everything really hinges on that word. How much is his assumption worth given the context? He’s obviously in lynch’s inner circle and has worked on a bunch of his projects, but how clued in would he be to the early pre-production of this project? He said it was “at the start of pre-production,” mentions the pandemic, and that he hadn’t started work on it and doesn’t know when it will happen. Assume could be anywhere from “I assume based on the limited info I have” to “I assume because I mostly know what’s going on and to my knowledge there’s no reason that i am aware of to believe it won’t happen some day.” Probably somewhere in between based on the context of the other sentences surrounding it. I think peter’s comments lend a lot of legitimacy to the idea that the project is “paused.”
3. In my opinion the most likely scenario by far for wisteria/unrecorded night not moving forward is budget related issues due to on set covid protocols. I admit that I forget if the ~80 mil budget figure was part of something that was definitely legit or only potentially legit, but either way, the budget was likely quite high and cutting it close as it is, due to it being a long season of tv and David probably wanting enough cash to get dreamy and fulfill his vision, and covid protocols *significantly* increase budgets. There have been series that have been canceled where they have specifically cited the increased cost of production due to covid protocols being the reason for cancellation. Licensed personnel to administer tests, the tests themselves, ppe, protocols making production a bit longer which makes the cost of everything go up, gotta pay everyone working more, gotta pay more for the spaces, the equipment, etc. feel like this is the most logical conclusion for why the show didn’t move forward. (The new season of better call Saul (13 episodes) took 11 months to film when they had initially projected 8 months (yes bob odenkirk had a heart attack during filming which set it back slightly, but they continued full production filming scenes he wasn’t in while he recuperated so it didn’t set it back majorly)
4. I think the idea that David is waiting out covid due to health reasons is pretty unlikely. In my opinion it just doesn’t fit his personality. I mean the dude is 76 and smokes and had a milk shake at bob’s big boy every day, do you think he’s the type to live recklessly or cautiously? If he was so concerned about covid that that was going to be the sole reason the show didn’t happen, don’t you think he’d quit smoking? Plus wasn’t the show reportedly slated to start filming in May 2021? Why would they have been planning to move forward during the pandemic at one point if he was this concerned. If this project is paused due to covid, I’d bet it’s because of budgetary reasons, not health concerns

So assuming a) production didn't move forward due to budgetary reasons due to covid and b) sabrina/peter didn't think anything was happening as of November, would it be too soon for rumblings to be happening now? maybe discussions are just beginning to start up again since cases are dropping and things seem to be easing up, maybe this summer on set protocols will be a bit laxer and less expensive?

Appreciate you all for keeping the dream alive! I hope we can all go nuts over a new Lynch project some day :)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Fantastic whooper of a first post in this thread!!

I'd reached very similar conclusions to you at one point (based on very similar bits of info).

Something changed over the new year. Not sure what, exactly. But at the time I just got this feeling that the mood had shifted.

Edit: Oh and I'm 99% sure the "thinking of 2022" part was her own addition to the repost.

I interpreted it as it's so boring right now in 2021 ("my weekend projects are the same as my weekday projects") but I'm thinking of 2022 for things to change.

I could be wrong, though.
Last edited by Histeria on Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Welcome to the board! And what a great first post too. I agree with you that it got paused because of the COVID added costs and they have either been renegotiating with Netflix or it found new life at another streaming service. If it’s the latter then the most likely option is Paramount Plus. But then again it could never have gotten canceled on Netflix and they’ve just been waiting for Omnicron to subside. I’m pretty sure Spielberg signed a deal with Netflix to produce and make content for them with his Amblin production company. Maybe he used his new found connections there to help David with what he needed to get it back on at Netflix.
"Jade give two rides."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Boy, folks sure can type around these parts.

Histeria wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:40 pm Scott Wrampler and Scare Mag
Friendship with Hollywood Horror Museum ended.
Now Scare Mag is my best friend.

dud wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:55 pm I think the idea that David is waiting out covid due to health reasons is pretty unlikely. In my opinion it just doesn’t fit his personality. I mean the dude is 76 and smokes and had a milk shake at bob’s big boy every day, do you think he’s the type to live recklessly or cautiously?
It might be both Lynch's concerns as well as costs. We know that in 2020 Lynch wasn’t even seeing his wife and young daughter, aside from waving to them from afar. He probably still smokes, but he’s tried multiple times to quit, and he’s cut out most sugar for health reasons, and for that matter, the most recent daily diet of his that I’ve heard about is/was severely austere.

Histeria wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:43 pm Something changed over the new year. Not sure what, exactly. But at the time I just got this feeling that the mood had shifted.

My mood shifted when it became clear that Omicron was (probably) going to very rapidly infect virtually everyone, displace the deadlier Delta, then rapidly recede, leaving a whole lot of immunity in its wake. That made me quite optimistic about Lynch filming something in 2022. Right now would be the perfect time to get things going, and quick, in case there are any more surprises.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I missed you, Jasper!

Thanks for the dose of levity :mrgreen:
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Ickles wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:42 pm That's Mr. C to you.
Just letting you know the joke didn't go entirely unappreciated.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Why the assumption Lynch hasn't quit smoking? Has he been seen smoking? If not, I think he totally might have, probably during the early virus panic.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

2/23: The Day Laura Died.

2/24: Twin Peaks Day.

Wonder if we will be hearing anything concrete between the next two days. There have been a lot of great posts here lately. It’s awesome to see the thread so lively again, like the branches of Wisteria. Thought it was a funny little detail that Lynch recommended the song “Everybody’s Talkin” during his weather report yesterday.

Also there was an interview of Lynch during the pandemic I believe and he was smoking during it
Last edited by DougieJones on Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jade give two rides."