Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by enumbs »

Agent Earle wrote:We literally do not have a single point of indiciation, clue, or proof that anything other than Lynch chiseling away in his workshop and concerning himself with political messages is going on. Not one single point.
I don’t find it especially persuasive, but the Tweet from a seemingly reputable entertainment journalist is definitely a point of indication. It’s a long way from proof, but it’s not nothing.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Yeah I have been told privately some information that makes me believe they are gearing up to go back into production. I take everything I hear with a grain of salt but the way I was told the information implied that it’s not just one person that heard this.

The post I have above in relation to nothing going on is via Netflix channels.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I still think they're just referencing the old rumours that made the mainstream press back in the day but don't see the point in getting into a debate about journalism. If you think it means more than that and it's code for a reliable source indicating it's happening now, fair enough. I just don't read it that way myself so for now I'll go by Brad and other sources, all of whom have heard nothing. Again, not saying nothing is happening - just don't see any convincing proof that something is happening right now. I'm not saying I think it will never happen! Far from it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I do think though if the show was cancelled or put on hold indefinitely it would have been noted in the Variety article. The way it’s typed makes it seem like it’s going on still and I’m sure they checked their bases for the story. I definitely don’t think anything is coming any time soon but I do think it’s possible that it’s found a new home or coming out of the woods. If it’s true that “nothing is going on” at Netflix’s side then it might be at a different service.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:03 am
Jonah wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:01 am I still think they're just referencing the old rumours that made the mainstream press back in the day but don't see the point in getting into a debate about journalism. If you think it means more than that and it's code for a reliable source indicating it's happening now, fair enough. I just don't read it that way myself so for now I'll go by Brad and other sources, all of whom have heard nothing. Again, not saying nothing is happening - just don't see any convincing proof that something is happening right now. I'm not saying I think it will never happen! Far from it.
Well he isn't saying "it's happening now", he merely said Lynch has been "working on it".
As I said, I don't want to get into a debate about it so no need to offer a rebuttal to every post when someone says they're not convinced. I'm not saying it's not happening. I'm just reading things differently and choosing to believe those I've spoken to who say nothing is in the works. Totally fine for others to keep speculating and believing what they like. Just weighing in my own thoughts and right now I'd be leaning more towards the "nothing is happening" camp, alas, though still on the fence. I'm not saying I'm right and am still hopeful one day something will be in the works. I just don't believe anything is right now and am happy to be wrong. Anyway, I'll leave it at that for now.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Sorry! Hope my posts didn’t come across as a rebuttal or argument. Just wanted to throw my two cents in and speculate. I’m just waiting under the sycamore trees.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Not all. Everyone is free to speculate at will and believe what they like. I just don't think we need to be debating it with each other. And that goes for both sides. If someone is convinced something is happening, fine to say why they think it and keep posting optimistically, but at the same time if someone else is unconvinced, it's fine to say so too and the reasons why. Let's just all try to respect each other's views. No point trying to convince each other of one position or the other. At the end of the day, no one (other than Lynch and Frost) knows for sure.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Yeah I think your point about this thread being Season 4 might be absolutely correct. Almost 560 pages and we’re basically still at square one lol. That’s why all opinions should be welcome! Sabrina, David, and Mark if you’re reading this you can chime in as well.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

DougieJones wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:17 am Yeah I think your point about this thread being Season 4 might be absolutely correct. Almost 560 pages and we’re basically still at square one lol. That’s why all opinions should be welcome! Sabrina, David, and Mark if you’re reading this you can chime in as well.
I wonder what episode we're in. :)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:27 am
DougieJones wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:17 am Yeah I think your point about this thread being Season 4 might be absolutely correct. Almost 560 pages and we’re basically still at square one lol. That’s why all opinions should be welcome! Sabrina, David, and Mark if you’re reading this you can chime in as well.
I wonder what episode we're in. :)
Varie-talk With Me.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:21 am "Has been working on for a long time" can mean anything from "development hell and indefinite delays" to "pre-production". This supports what you're saying, it isn't rebutting it.
I do believe he and his camp have been working on something given the scripts we saw. Not sure if they're full scripts or treatments/outlines. I do believe something was going forward at Netflix or somewhere but was halted. I'm not sure I believe it's Twin Peaks. That's where it gets confusing. If something is being "unpaused", then it's quite possibly an original Lynch show. I believe Brad and other sources who say they've heard of no movement in TP land, yet one of the tweets says the "rumblings" they hear is TP. It's like a game of "pass the message" - the rumours themselves, already ephemeral to begin with, are becoming more distorted. Yes, I know, we could debate endlessly that UN/Wisteria is TP or TP-related. No need to, though, as we've all discussed that on here before.

I think it's more likely if something does go into production in the near future, it is not related to TP and therefore is UN/Wistera/some unrelated original Lynch show that has been on hiatus due to the pandemic. I think, alas, TP is much less likely - but the messaging is confused. Therefore, I'll keep believing Brad and others in the know who seem to think it's unlikely as they've heard nothing. That's not to say TP won't happen down the line, however.

Can't really say much more than that. And take all my opining as just that - and with copious amounts of salt. I really don't know, just going by those who I consider in the know and whose opinions I trust.

So an original Lynch show? Quite likely. TP? Much less likely at least anytime soon - which saddens me, as I'd prefer that option, though I'll always be interested in watching anything Lynch does, even if I prefer the original series.

Back to the original point I was making, though, aside from all of the above - not sure I see any reason to get excited about the latest "tidbits". I was agreeing with Earle on that point - I just don't personally see any reason to be excited. At least not for TP. If we're talking an original Lynch show ... hmm, maybe. But still not sure I believe those tweets.

And, with that, I'm going to go back to observing this thread for a bit instead of participating for awhile as I feel that sensation of going in circles every time I type - as I'm typing out the same old discussions we've had on here for months (no, YEARS) now lol. I also don't want to let my lack of enthusiasm for the recent tidbits (which I'm happy to be wrong about) get in the way of everyone else's fun speculating. So I'll still be here, watching and observing, making occasional moderator posts to redirect posts etc., just not joining in on the speculation itself as much.

Enjoy the thread - and let's keep it friendly, no need to call one another out or argue with each other. I think we're all hoping for more TP one day whether we believe the recent rumours or not.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jonah - I don't understand why you are suggesting that people like Brad Dukes on this forum have some sort of insight - yes, he interviewed a whole horde of Twin Peaks people for a book that came out last decade. Why would someone on this forum have proper inklings of what is going on in the world of Lynch or Frost? If Scott Ryan from The Blue Rose magazine was on this forum I'd be inclined to listen to their thoughts as they at least are in touch with a lot of people who were in Fire Walk with Me - he's got a book coming out all about that very soon I believe. Others might message an actor or actress, or even someone at Showtime but they don't know for sure what is going on. You can't call Netflix and expect them to tell you the content of Lynch's registered scripts. I did an interview with Jeremy Lindholm recently and certain people were none too impressed, understandably...it is all part of being a Twin Peaks lover.

You're not going in circles as you write, but you have to find a starting point rather than just taking in every possibility. I would say the rumblings recently do point to there being something going on but it doesn't mean its going to happen right now. In terms of a follow-on to The Return, I can see that being far more of a likelihood. I certainly don't think they want anything leaking relating any project to Twin Peaks and I don't think anyone here at all would have heard something. Its certainly plausible that Lynch had planned a continuation of Twin Peaks set in Graceland with Paul Simon playing the them tune and adapting music with Badalamenti, Chrystabell on stage as Tammy Preston and Michael J. Anderson re-appearing out of wherever he is to say something from the Lodge. Laura Palmer could be back with a vengeance as a woman in her 50s living it up and dancing to The Pink Room whilst Cooper looks on enjoying some damn fine coffee - as opposed to DAMN GOOD. Many fans were a bit put out by The Return because it very deliberately messed with the formula and denied us the 'feels' that Twin Peaks supplied so well before. I think those feels will return and Lynch and Frost know exactly what they're doing.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.