Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Cde. »

Histeria wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:30 pm
Cde. wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:27 pm And imagine the exhilarating surprise we would have gotten, assuming this rumour is true, had it been kept under wraps until the Cannes line up announcement? They'd made it this far without anything leaking and there's just one week to go. Why spoil it now? For clout? Attention?
I mean that is kind if their job. The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline and Variety all partake in this sort of reporting.

They're not paid to keep Lynch's surprise nor fulfil our wishes as fans.
Fair, but I guess I have more understanding/patience for that sort of reporting than I do for vague speculation bait social media posts.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

Regarding whether or not it's TP, this reddit post (by u/TheCowrus) gives a nice summary (with links) of previous tidbits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... &context=3
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

BGate wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:18 pm Only two of those directors are American. What TV series did Oliver Stone make that would be someone's all time favorite? The Fincher movie has been known about for awhile, nobody "doubts its existence."
Not that it would ever be Stone, but just to throw this out there: Wild Palms could be someone's favorite. It's dated in a way but also ahead of its time, exec produced by Stone, and scripted by Bruce Wagner in a way that links it to various Cronenberg projects, and I feel it serves as a sort of missing link in the TV revolution.

Along similar exec producer lines, Michael Mann could be an option. But at this point that's just spitballing for no reason. The person who tweeted clearly loves Lynch. It's just a matter of whether that's who he's actually talking about and whether it's true.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

The good thing about this rumor is we'll find out if it's true in little more than a month. :D

Sure beats wondering if that HHM thing was true for.. what? 2 years?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

Soolsma wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:30 pm The good thing about this rumor is we'll find out if it's true in little more than a month. :D

Sure beats wondering if that HHM thing was true for.. what? 2 years?
Potentially less than a week, the line-up announcement is next Thursday. Although, Cannes sometimes have late additions.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

In a recent interview, Cannes chief said there was an unprecedented glut of late submissions this year because filmmakers can tinker with final cut to the very last minute in the digital era.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I can’t believe I’ve come back to such great news.

Was browsing the Criterion subreddit and there was a post about today’s news with Lynch. This was in the comments.

Edit: Today, April 8th is the day Twin Peaks premiered in 1990. Coincidence?
Attachments
CA3A3450-5FA9-4361-9BEB-B0E2ACC0AA1F.jpeg
CA3A3450-5FA9-4361-9BEB-B0E2ACC0AA1F.jpeg (412.11 KiB) Viewed 14022 times
"Jade give two rides."
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

LateReg wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:07 pm
BGate wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:18 pm Only two of those directors are American. What TV series did Oliver Stone make that would be someone's all time favorite? The Fincher movie has been known about for awhile, nobody "doubts its existence."
Not that it would ever be Stone, but just to throw this out there: Wild Palms could be someone's favorite. It's dated in a way but also ahead of its time, exec produced by Stone, and scripted by Bruce Wagner in a way that links it to various Cronenberg projects, and I feel it serves as a sort of missing link in the TV revolution.

Along similar exec producer lines, Michael Mann could be an option. But at this point that's just spitballing for no reason. The person who tweeted clearly loves Lynch. It's just a matter of whether that's who he's actually talking about and whether it's true.
Yep, totally agreed. But just to belabor it a bit, sure he was involved but do people really think of Oliver Stone when they talk about Wild Palms? And we know what Mann has been doing the last couple years, working on Tokyo Vice and his Heat sequel novel. He doesn't make the kind of movies that can be kept under wraps lol.

As you said, we'll know for sure in a week (my guess is if it's true news would break before then). I'm still highly skeptical at this point.

DougieJones wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:18 am I can’t believe I’ve come back to such great news.

Was browsing the Criterion subreddit and there was a post about today’s news with Lynch. This was in the comments.

Edit: Today, April 8th is the day Twin Peaks premiered in 1990. Coincidence?
Be very wary of people who recycle the same rumors we've all been reading and discussing and try to pass it off as if they have some sort of inside knowledge.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Histeria wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:03 pm We never did find out what "new role" Kyle was getting into shape for in those coffee and cherry pie fuelled personal training sessions he broadcast live on Instagram. It certainly wasn't the Tiger King joint.
I assume it was because he returned as The Captain in "How I Met Your Father".
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Clearly Aftab is enjoying teasing the heck out of everybody. When asked to clarify if the mention of Roy Orbinson was a reference to the mystery director being David Lynch he tweeted:

"When you're working you must do the right thing or the Miami Vice might come for you thinking you're the Manhunter or a comic duo mimicking Obama"

I will also add to the list of which director it could be. Aftab has previously stated that Coppola's "The Outsiders" is one of his favorite films. Coppola has executive produced a few TV-shows but certainly nothing that would make my top 10 list (unless you count The Godfather Saga"). Coppola has previously premiered some of his re-cuts of films in Cannes.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

eyeboogers wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:15 am
Histeria wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:03 pm We never did find out what "new role" Kyle was getting into shape for in those coffee and cherry pie fuelled personal training sessions he broadcast live on Instagram. It certainly wasn't the Tiger King joint.
I assume it was because he returned as The Captain in "How I Met Your Father".
Why? I doubt he'd go through a rigorous two month elite training regimen for a cameo role as guest star in Episode Nine of a sitcom.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Does anyone know what Kyle’s role in the new Fletch film entails? That was announced around the same time he started to work out.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

What appears to be the Cannes Festival website for 2022 has a page up for David Lynch.

https://m.festival-cannes.com/en/artist/david-lynch
"Jade give two rides."
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

DougieJones wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:01 am What appears to be the Cannes Festival website for 2022 has a page up for David Lynch.

https://m.festival-cannes.com/en/artist/david-lynch
That's just there because he has presented films there before. The website is also an archive of information on previous editions of the festival.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Cannes seems to have a page like that up for basically every major filmmaker unfortunately. I assume it’s a catalogue of artists involved with Cannes in the past.