Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

Jasper wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:12 pm You know, it's possible to have fun speculating without getting too invested in any individual rumor being true.

This approach has made all of these rumor cycles a breeze for me, including this one. I had fun, but never accepted any of the rumors as being true. Lynch and Sabrina have made clear statements that make it overwhelmingly likely that Lynch will be filming something again, sometime, and probably not too far in the future. We'll know for sure when they tell us for sure. I don't think it's a good idea to depend on Lynch or Sabrina (or actors, etc.) denying rumors, or not doing anything at all whatsoever that can be interpreted as vaguely suggestive to a rabid fanbase that desperately wants something to happen and will interpret virtually anything as a sign of some kind of action.

I think it's best to approach all of it with a spirit of fun.

And we'll have fun, fun, fun, till dugpa takes our forum away. :lol:
I agree Jasper and I did have fun, I think we all did, but the constant disappointment can be a bit wearying too. And this rumour ... I mean, I saw it convince people who are normally skeptical of all the rumours. This one felt different. I think the Variety thing threw a lot of people. Despite how unlikely it seemed, that made it more convincing. I wish I hadn't given up writing and spent so much time on here, but I did enjoy it. Oh well. I think your attitude is definitely the right one to have.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by sneakydave »

Some random tweeter saying his sources suggesting Lynch is lying. And its an extended pilot turned movie. Meh.

https://twitter.com/jasonosia/status/15 ... 40869?s=21
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I almost went down the "well, he did say he didn't have a FILM coming out - it might be a pilot/TV series" rabbit hole, then I reread the EW quote. He did say no film, but also no PROJECT. At Cannes at least.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

sneakydave wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:37 pm Some random tweeter saying his sources suggesting Lynch is lying. And its an extended pilot turned movie. Meh.

I mentioned this a couple pages ago:
Ickles wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:33 pm For what it's worth: https://twitter.com/jasonosia/status/15 ... 0306340869
sources I’m talking to are saying Lynch is lying. We will know for sure on Thursday. Supposedly an extended pilot turned movie?
I normally wouldn't give a random unverified film critic on Twitter with 3K followers any credence but he's followed by/friends with Zack Sharf, who is Variety's news director.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Ickles wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:41 pm
sneakydave wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:37 pm Some random tweeter saying his sources suggesting Lynch is lying. And its an extended pilot turned movie. Meh.

Ickles wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:33 pm For what it's worth: https://twitter.com/jasonosia/status/15 ... 0306340869
sources I’m talking to are saying Lynch is lying. We will know for sure on Thursday. Supposedly an extended pilot turned movie?
I normally wouldn't give a random unverified film critic on Twitter with 3K followers any credence but he's followed by/friends with Zack Sharf, who is Variety's news director.
Sorry Ickles. Missed that one.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

sneakydave wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:43 pm
Ickles wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:41 pm

Sorry Ickles. Missed that one.
No worries. We've been going fast and furious here. Just mostly wanted to re-quote the context re: who the dude is.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The reddit comments are on fire - many saying Lynch is lying, one said Peyton and Frost "went mask off for nothing".

Also, I saw this on there:

https://twitter.com/aftabamon/status/15 ... CLIN8y7YLg
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

I really don't understand why people are so convinced by this denial. Cannes has refused to comment, Variety aren't retracting their story, and a journalist with connections to Variety has said his sources indicate Lynch is lying. It is also worth noting just how odd Lynch's phrasing is. "They say there's something new at Cannes, and they don't say whose it is, and some people thought it was my film, but it's not. So we'll wait and see, and see whose it is." Outside of the possibility that this is a film he has produced rather than directed, the statement can only really be interpreted as typical Lynchian obfuscation. Why else would he be saying that he knows there is indeed a secret film, and that we should "wait and see"? It's not as though Lynch would be at all aware of Cannes rumours unless he was involved somehow. I am more than optimistic that this era of the board will end on a positive note come Friday.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Couldn't that wording indicate it's the Spielberg film he's in maybe? (I also saw that theory posted on reddit a lot.)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

One thing I'm trying to find precedence on (via historical case studies or via Cannes rules) is submissions under pseudonym (or someone else's name).
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:51 pm Couldn't that wording indicate it's the Spielberg film he's in maybe? (I also saw that theory posted on reddit a lot.)
I believe the Spielberg is unlikely. But one never knows.

Edit: Although, Lynch knowing that somebody else has something coming could indicate it is Spielberg.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Maybe it's a Jennifer Lynch film he produced. Or someone else's he produced that's close to him.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I am used to these cycles and they don't freak me out. What happens will happen. I do have a hard time buying Variety got rumbled.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Another quote, courtesy of the AV Club:

“I have no film at Cannes, no,” said Lynch. “In fact, no one has ever even asked me that. You’re the first person that’s actually asked me, ‘David, do you have a film at Cannes?’ I say no, I don’t have a film at Cannes.”

Pressed as to whether he had something else—not a film, perhaps, but a TV pilot or other special project—that would make its bow at the festival, he sounded definitive. “I’m not trying to trick you, I have nothing at Cannes,” he said. “But there’ll be something new from somebody else. It wasn’t me, though. It isn’t me.”
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

LateReg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:58 pm
Jonah wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:51 pm Couldn't that wording indicate it's the Spielberg film he's in maybe? (I also saw that theory posted on reddit a lot.)
I believe the Spielberg is unlikely. But one never knows.

Edit: Although, Lynch knowing that somebody else has something coming could indicate it is Spielberg.
Considering Lynch has no interest whatsoever in modern cinema usually this would make some sense.