Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:33 am Anyone got a transcript for exactly what he said on the weather report? A lot of posts here tried to read more into his EW response that it would be curious to see. I guess I could just go watch the report instead... Lol. 8)
It's a very brief line at the very end of the video.

"And by the way, I don't have a film at Cannes Film Festival this year. Everyone have a great day!" is how it ends.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by LateReg »

Metamorphia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:35 am
Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:33 am Anyone got a transcript for exactly what he said on the weather report? A lot of posts here tried to read more into his EW response that it would be curious to see. I guess I could just go watch the report instead... Lol. 8)

"And by the way, I don't have a film at Cannes Film Festival this year. Everyone have a great day!" is how it ends.
Funny thing is, he sounds genuine in the clip. But reading it there in print, it sounds like bullshit!
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Ickles wrote:How's this for some Olympics level mental gymnastics but...is it possible there is a new Lynch film that was submitted as an early cut to Cannes and seen by a few people but won't be making the festival for one reason or another (Lynch pulled it out of consideration because a final cut isn't ready, etc?). So when he says he doesn't have a film at the festival he's not lying (I don't think he ever said he doesn't have a film period, just shooting down Cannes rumors) and when "insiders" are saying there is a film they aren't lying either but Lynch has more up to date information since he knows the cut won't be ready so perhaps he's aiming for Venice or a later release instead?
That can’t be it, as his previous statements make clear that he knows there IS a surprise film coming to Cannes.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Metamorphia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:35 am

Thanks for that. I understand some people will say he might be fulfilling legal obligations to keep something secret but if that's the case, the EW and other interviews would have sufficed. The weather reports are usually only watched by his diehard fans (at least regularly, not the general population) so that seems more like a message for fans to let them know directly from him. Not sure I see the point to him "lying" there.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:20 am
sneakydave wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am
LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:11 am Supposedly, again according to Jordan Ruimy (who I'm not the biggest fan of), the original tweeter Kaleem Aftab knows someone who has seen the film and loved it. Now, what would be the explanation for that? His colleague flat-out lied to him (unlikely in my opinion), or something was lost in translation (maybe he didn't reveal the title or Lynch's actual involvement), or it's actually true? Kaleem is considered reputable regardless of his taste and writing; Ruimy is somewhat of a clout chaser but he has connections and is doubling down on the definiteness of the Lynch film.
Where did Jordan Ruimy say this?
On the AwardsWatch forum about an hour ago.
Hello, barely active poster/lurker here desperate for better news - are you able to provide a link for/screenshot of this? I've tried Googling and navigating the Awards Watch site to little success. Thank you!
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Fate Colossal on Twitter now saying they have had a DM from someone they believe is in a position to know suggesting that Lynch definitely does have something going on even if that something is not going to Cannes.

Sorry, no idea how to embed tweets on here.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Sidgwick wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:45 am
sneakydave wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am

Where did Jordan Ruimy say this?
Hello, barely active poster/lurker here desperate for better news - are you able to provide a link for/screenshot of this? I've tried Googling and navigating the Awards Watch site to little success. Thank you!
Hey, I'm at work right now and just peeking at my phone, so I will just quote what he said as I'm not sure if you can access the site without membership.

Ruimy: "Kaleem told me he knew someone who saw the Lynch and loved it. So, he's a flat-out liar? Basically just invented the rumor? His more-than-decent credibility with BFI, not to mention he's a fest programmer, doesn't warrant him to do such a thing. He's a good guy who has been right 99% of the time with these things."
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

"oh and by the way, I don't have a film at the Cannes Film Festival this year" he said on weather report.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I think most folks here have fatecolossal's feed nearby but just for posterity:

I'm going to double down on my theory that there is/was a new Lynch film but it's not part of Cannes anymore.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I’ll follow Jonah’s lead and won’t bite on any of this.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:52 am
Sidgwick wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:45 am

Hey, I'm at work right now and just peeking at my phone, so I will just quote what he said as I'm not sure if you can access the site without membership.

Ruimy: "Kaleem told me he knew someone who saw the Lynch and loved it. So, he's a flat-out liar? Basically just invented the rumor? His more-than-decent credibility with BFI, not to mention he's a fest programmer, doesn't warrant him to do such a thing. He's a good guy who has been right 99% of the time with these things."
Kaleem liked my tweet asking if this was true. He has no replied though.

Gah. :D
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Inland Empire premiered at the Venice Film Festival in 06 if I remember right, so if Inland Restoration played at Cannes, I guess technically it would be a Cannes Premiere for Inland Empire.

Also, it does have Laura Dern.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:03 am Inland Empire premiered at the Venice Film Festival in 06 if I remember right, so if Inland Restoration played at Cannes, I guess technically it would be a Cannes Premiere for Inland Empire.

Also, it does have Laura Dern.
Jack, shut up! :D
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:57 am I think most folks here have fatecolossal's feed nearby but just for posterity:

I'm going to double down on my theory that there is/was a new Lynch film but it's not part of Cannes anymore.
It's a special year for Cannes, the 75th anniversary, and the festival highly values its relationship with Lynch. If the film exists, much as I'm sure the surprise was important to the Absurda camp, they wouldn't throw that away just because of some shady online rumours spreading that most people don't even believe. Thierry Fremaux would have worked very hard to make this happen.
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:52 am [Hey, I'm at work right now and just peeking at my phone, so I will just quote what he said as I'm not sure if you can access the site without membership.

Appreciate this! I am almost entirely ignorant of film media, but I've no idea why at least one vaguely reputable member of it would tank their reputation with such a certain, adamant "It's complete and has been seen" statement. So that's...something?