Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:41 am social media and looking for followers is a bit like permanent high school. he mighta rushed out that guessing game tweet to get more followers. who knows. i've seen middle aged adults lose their minds why they don't have more following on twitter, and how come so and so is more popular.
Yeah and all this "scoop/breaking news/exclusive" clickbait in our culture, everyone rushing to get the latest scoop, be the first to break a story for attention/likes, etc. I know sometimes this is encouraged or even directed by the artists themselves, but many times it's not. If anything, if something leaks that wasn't intended to, they shouldn't report on it out of respect to the director/film festival - or at least really scrutinize and verify it. Variety has it posted under "predictions" but clearly the reporter was just reporting these two guys and didn't get more reliable sources. From now on, I'm done with teases/rumours/hints. I'll wait for official announcements. There's been so much around Lynch for the last few years it's gotten tiring. At this stage, I'd prefer an official announcement or at least for those who keep proliferating and starting these rumours to lay off and stop. And that includes the cast with their Wisteria posts.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

mojo1976 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:46 am More mental gymnastic/grasping at straws:

I don't know how Cannes exactly works, but if he did have something that, like someone else said, could have been an early cut and was not chosen for "Competition" and then moved into the "Feature Films Not in Competition" category, could he have pulled the film for that reason? Like if they viewed the film and said it would not be an official selection but it can still be viewed, and Lynch decides that he'd rather finish the film properly instead.

Also, maybe it was viewed and then found to have violated the rules (ie. not produced within the 12-month time frame,--again, I don't know how it exactly works and what the rules are). Perhaps there is a technicality if the film is actually a backdoor pilot (a movie, mini-series, or TV episode meant to launch a new series or spin-off). If it is TP-related and we were to follow just Richard, Linda, and Carrie; that may cause issues of whether it is a film or part of a television series. Maybe a potential TP-related movie would be difficult to categorize because prior knowledge of the series may be necessary or it leans too much on the material that came before. Fire Walk With Me didn't have that problem because you can watch the movie and never watch the series and not require any knowledge of it.
Yeah there's all sorts of plausible explanations for every outcome. Whether that's "he's lying and will announce tomorrow" or "there was never any film at all".

I think it's premature to go for either of the above outcomes with any degree of certainty. But the issue with many plausible explanations is that there's too many.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:46 am
JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:41 am social media and looking for followers is a bit like permanent high school. he mighta rushed out that guessing game tweet to get more followers. who knows. i've seen middle aged adults lose their minds why they don't have more following on twitter, and how come so and so is more popular.
Yeah and all this "scoop/breaking news/exclusive" clickbait in our culture, everyone rushing to get the latest scoop, be the first to break a story for attention/likes, etc. I know sometimes this is encouraged or even directed by the artists themselves, but many times it's not. If anything, if something leaks that wasn't intended to, they shouldn't report on it out of respect to the director/film festival - or at least really scrutinize and verify it. Variety has it posted under "predictions" but clearly the reporter was just reporting these two guys and didn't get more reliable sources. From now on, I'm done with teases/rumours/hints. I'll wait for official announcements. There's been so much around Lynch for the last few years it's gotten tiring. At this stage, I'd prefer an official announcement or at least for those who keep proliferating with these teasing stuff to lay off and stop.
I really and truly don't believe that Variety was really just reporting "these two guys." I have no evidence of this other than that I believe they have their own sources and would dig deeper rather than rely on Kaleem and Ruimy. I'm not saying that they're correct, just that I don't believe they used the sources that were already out there.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:38 am
Metamorphia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:34 am
Ickles wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:16 am

I don't think they would scrap it because of early leaks or some random dude on Twitter stirring up hype. I don't think they'd take scrapping it lightly but it's possible the cut just isn't up to Lynch's standard and won't be by the festival date. There was an interview with Lynch yesterday on Film Stage where he says he's working on "color correcting and sound mixing" film work in addition to his painting and art. While I assumed that was in relation to his restoration work on Lost Highway perhaps it's for this new film and it simply won't be up to his standard in time? No matter how special it would be to drop at Cannes for the anniversary. Who knows.
Possible I guess. But Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire and now Lost Highway all underwent 4K restorations since the pandemic first hit (in that order I believe) so he's presumably been treating the colour and sound mixing as sustained work for himself over these past two years.
He appears to be talking about right now though. He says "these days" specifically:
How much of a given day are you at work in the studio?

All day. These days it’s all sculpture and painting and, you know, some… some film work. Color-correcting and sound work. But mostly it’s painting and sculpture.
Again, it's most likely for the Lost Highway 4K but Janus did leak stills from it on social media so it's possible that that's long done.
Yeah sorry, I edited my post after that to query whether Lynch was talking about the here and now or just generally what he's been up to. Unless there are other restorations going on - now seems to be quite a good time for 4K releases
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

LateReg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:50 am
Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:46 am
Yeah and all this "scoop/breaking news/exclusive" clickbait in our culture, everyone rushing to get the latest scoop, be the first to break a story for attention/likes, etc. I know sometimes this is encouraged or even directed by the artists themselves, but many times it's not. If anything, if something leaks that wasn't intended to, they shouldn't report on it out of respect to the director/film festival - or at least really scrutinize and verify it. Variety has it posted under "predictions" but clearly the reporter was just reporting these two guys and didn't get more reliable sources. From now on, I'm done with teases/rumours/hints. I'll wait for official announcements. There's been so much around Lynch for the last few years it's gotten tiring. At this stage, I'd prefer an official announcement or at least for those who keep proliferating with these teasing stuff to lay off and stop.
I really and truly don't believe that Variety was really just reporting "these two guys." I have no evidence of this other than that I believe they have their own sources and would dig deeper rather than rely on Kaleem and Ruimy. I'm not saying that they're correct, just that I don't believe they used the sources that were already out there.
Maybe Variety in general might not do this (and I agree they're almost always right) - but perhaps this one time this actual reporter did, given she liked a tweet saying we'll find out if it's true soon. And also given that the article title was "predictions" and mentioned it was a rumour. From the start, I had slight reservations given that title. Like it wasn't claiming it was certain so maybe they felt that was enough to justify it.

I mean, even if they got other sources and "digged deep", those other sources are clearly wrong too - so it still remains they published unverified info from sources who were profoundly wrong to the point Lynch himself had to come out to deny it and now Deadline editor is claiming he's heard same from a trusted source (that it's not true).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

The first reported denial has been released. It’s the last 15 seconds or so.

https://twitter.com/joshuahorowitz/stat ... zdcWGdz0wg
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

enumbs wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:09 am The first reported denial has been released. It’s the last 15 seconds or so.

Again, it's interesting to me that he says "I do not have a film at Cannes" specifically and not denying a new film exists in general. Tiniest sliver of hope remains!
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Jonah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:53 am Maybe Variety in general might not do this (and I agree they're almost always right) - but perhaps this one time this actual reporter did, given she liked a tweet saying we'll find out if it's true soon. And also given that the article title was "predictions" and mentioned it was a rumour. From the start, I had slight reservations given that title. Like it wasn't claiming it was certain so maybe they felt that was enough to justify it.

I mean, even if they got other sources and "digged deep", those other sources are clearly wrong too - so it still remains they published unverified info from sources who were profoundly wrong to the point Lynch himself had to come out to deny it and now Deadline editor is claiming he's heard same from a trusted source (that it's not true).
I'm still choosing to give everyone involved the benefit of the doubt and assume that they were/are telling the truth, as they know it. It's entirely possible there is a new Lynch feature/extended pilot floating out there, perhaps seen by Cannes screeners as a rough cut, which was disseminated to Kaleem/Jordan and became fodder for thos early rumors. Perhaps the Variety reporter did some digging with her sources at Cannes and was told it is rumored to be part of the Cannes line-up (which she felt comfortable running to print with). It's also possible that the feature isn't quite ready for screening at Cannes in time and was scrapped last minute as part of the line-up, hence Lynch's denials are also true that he "does not have a film at Cannes."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Another possibility is that it's being screened in Cannes but not at Cannes: Out of festival like Lightyear is rumoured to be screened.

But the same Cannes sources that briefed on the Lightyear story (refuting previous reports) also refused to comment on that previous Lynch report.
Last edited by Histeria on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

enumbs wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:09 am The first reported denial has been released. It’s the last 15 seconds or so.

Love how energetic Lynch sounds on that podcast clip lol. A far cry from the weather report!

His denial of Cannes is strong there though.
Cheater_07

Post by Cheater_07 »

Oofff, I don't know guys.
Although my mind is racing day and night lately because of the rumours, and after yesterday I still had hope, this podcast clip feels pretty definitive to me.

It's something in the tone of his voice. He really seems bothered by this rumour. The same sound in his voice as in those TPTR behind the scenes clips where he goes on a rant because of time restrainments... anyone else hear this?

The other thing I was thinking of... IF there in fact IS something Lynch going on at Cannes... what about a teaser/trailer or something?

I still want to believe, but it's getting harder and harder the past few hours. Hopefully we'll see the name Jack Cruz tomorrow in the line-up announcement :wink:
The things that still get me going is the Variety sources, Kaleem's source and Lynch talking about 'something by someone in Cannes' (why the hell would he know this or be interested in this? If it's something he produced... it's probably not of the weight to keep it a secret, right?)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

He even dismissed the rumour today in his weather report. It’s like he is affected by it. Last time during wisteria’s rumour he never dismissed the rumour
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Honestly, despite taking Lynch's denials at face value and being 99.9% certain no new Lynch/Jack Cruz/Gordon Cole/etc. film will be announced tomorrow for Cannes, I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic something new (extended pilot turned feature, i.e. MD, is my guess) from Lynch is percolating somewhere and will come at some point. I feel like folks are focusing on all the denials re: Cannes this morning but this nugget from fatecolossal would otherwise be pretty big:
I've heard via DM from someone seemingly in a position to know things: "I’m still hearing there is a Lynch movie out there. Maybe it’s not going to Cannes after all but there is something from him out there."
Fatecolossal has been a pretty reliable source of info on this thing and I don't think they'd be easily hoodwinked by a DM from some random troll and would trust that their assertion it is "someone seemingly in a position to know" is more than an educated guess.

Not to mention all the other recent hints (Kyle saying "FIRST time him and Amanda Seyfried" worked together on that talk show, etc.). Also, the Variety piece mentioned stuff about the film featuring Dern, which seemed to be new information not part of the Kaleem tweet so wasn't just recycling an unfounded tweet. All we've really (seemingly) got confirmation of is that it won't be at Cannes this year which, as a person not going to Cannes, isn't the end of the world. Obviously it being screened and released in the world sooner would be great but until we hear definitively that no new work/film/pilot exists at all I'm still feeling pretty good.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

mojo1976 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:46 am More mental gymnastic/grasping at straws:

I don't know how Cannes exactly works, but if he did have something that, like someone else said, could have been an early cut and was not chosen for "Competition" and then moved into the "Feature Films Not in Competition" category, could he have pulled the film for that reason? Like if they viewed the film and said it would not be an official selection but it can still be viewed, and Lynch decides that he'd rather finish the film properly instead.
It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I apologize if this was already posted, because I didn't have the time to read the last three pages and will do so later in the evening, but even though at this point I'm leaning towards believing Lynch, it struck me as funny that he mentioned Roy Orbison in the same weather report in which he denied having a film at this year's Cannes Film Festival. Didn't Kaleem Aftab mention Orbison last week in one of his hints about the director whose surprise film would premiere at Cannes?

And by the way - I don't want to jinx it - but I'm very, very happy that this thread - the greatest thread of them all if you ask me - will probably reach 600 pages before the forum closes :)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)