Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Stavrogyn »

JackwithOneEye, you could be right. I'm merely basing my assumption on how the things rolled out with The Return. However, I still don't understand why they had to announce the whole cast, because the lack of that knowledge would have brought us so many surprises later while watching the actual series.

If I were Lynch, I would announce the new season (of course, in the case this actually is Twin Peaks) without disclosing anything about the cast; maybe only Kyle and Sheryl. I believe that would create even greater anticipation for the new season than if we knew too much.

By the way, JackwithOneEye, my avatar would fit nicely with your name, and vice versa :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

If there were a season 4 who would be the new Sheriff?
Hawk? Since now Harry is sick and Frank is dead
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

since we're talking about the guy who made Inland Empire, and Mulholland Drive, and Lost Highway, which have flipped/inverted/alternative universes,
I think there are no rules, and sheriff of Twin Peaks could be Justin Thereoux if Lynched wanted him to be.

or Michael Cera could be the heir apparent as the son of Andy, Bobby Briggs could be sheriff, Hawk,
or anyone really.

I don't know whether Laura being missing rather than murdered, means the timeline started to change after that, there was a search for Laura, and then life just went along , or if this is some other domain where the Palmers never even existed, which Cooper/Richard seems to fear, when he is asking about who the prior owners of the house were...

if they're doing "its a wonderful life" scenario, maybe Bobby became a criminal rather than a cop, and TP is even more messed up with Laura missing, and Leland did a bunch of other murders, any number of ways to approach alternative universe concepts.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

@Stavrogyn - I think you've mentioned that a few times about the cast list. It would have certainly been interesting to not know anyone who was going to be in it. But at the same time I think I prefer having that cast list...and I say that as a person who intentionally avoided every single spoiler.

The obvious reasons the cast list reveal was such a huge success (imo) is because it was so massive that it almost seemed like a joke, and it really got the imagination to run wild, and because it was literally the only thing they gave us. I know you're saying it would have been even better if they didn't give us anything, but I feel it was a very calculated move on their part to give us that and only that. The cast list worked for me, up to and including during the series itself, as it further played upon expectations. And The Return was all about playing with expectations.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

actors wanna work. not an easy field to make a living. denying them publicity and exposure would suck for them trying to get gigs.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

The alternate universe is a kickass fail safe mechanism. In the new timeline the characters we know may not exist and new characters could inhabit Twin peaks. So we could have a brand new cast me it would still make sense in the story
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I know the time itself and the twin tweets were significant, but was there any significance to the date the Return was announced on?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

October 6, 2014 was 24th anniversary of the airing of s202...

"deliver. the. message. do you understand ?"

"yes ma'am, i believe I do."
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

@ "JackwithOneEye "since we're talking about the guy who made Inland Empire, and Mulholland Drive, and Lost Highway, which have flipped/inverted/alternative universes,
I think there are no rules, and sheriff of Twin Peaks could be Justin Thereoux if Lynched wanted him to be.

/quote

I insist you never mention this idea again because I'll fall in love with it too hard. Especially if he's written with the same level of bafflement as Kevin Garvey in Leftovers.

"But it is said that if you confront the Black Lodge with imperfect courage, it will utterly annihilate your soul."

"I don't believe you"

"Why?"

"Because it's stupid!"

(By the way, if anyone here hasn't seen Theroux in the Leftovers, you're missing out. That show hits hard, gotta be in my Top 5)
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Did Season 3 (The Return) not feel alternate enough for you already - never mind any sort of varient on the timeline in a further season?

My own view, alongside a portion of fans, is that in The Return at its conclusion, Cooper is still trapped in the Lodge. Everything we see throughout the season is the Lodge playing with Cooper's mind.

For instance, Cooper wants to save Laura but it is shown clearly that he can't - she is ripped out of his imagination and back into the Lodge. All aspects of the different timelines or variations are psychological, as mentioned in the Final Dossier where the memories of Laura's death fade - a mist descends on people's recollection and is replaced by the idea that she went missing. Is this real? No, of course it is not entirely based in reality. Wouldn't it be easier to remember that a girl went missing than was brutally raped and murdered by her father?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

I respect that a number of people share your theory Norm, but I’ve never understood it myself. So much of the series is about the experiences of characters outside of Cooper - the grief and guilt of Sarah Palmer, the cyclical mistakes made by Shelley and her daughter, the attempted moral growth of Ben Horne - and so much of the series is about the way the passage of time has affected a community we knew. Cooper is the central character yes, but there is more emotional potency in viewing these characters as being continuations of their original series selves rather than Cooper’s interpretations of them.

I also think the psychological insight you describe is perfectly in keeping with the most straightforward reading of season 3. Lynch’s work usually has an allegorical or symbolic dimension anyway, explicitly signifying multiple layers of realty, and the story does not need to be taking place within the red room for this to be the case. Cooper attempting to save Laura and return her to the site of abuse is itself a commentary on denial and delusion, even if it is technically happening within the world of the story.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

To clarify; I think that Twin Peaks is a show in which all kinds of mystical elements exist. I doubt that season 4 is going to feature a real version of Laura or Cooper in which everything we’ve seen is revealed as a dream.

But I do think that the sci-fi/supernatural elements in Twin Peaks generally have real life analogues which gives them resonance. Even the most outlandish ideas tend to relate to lived human experience. Within the story, Bob does possess Leland, but that possession speaks to the way in which abusers feel compelled to do terrible things and are able to justify their actions. There is a a nuance to this approach however, as Lynch and Frost imply a certain complicity in Leland which prevents the depiction from feeling like a mere excuse.

I think the fragmentation of Cooper in season 3 operates in a similar way. Yes, it was Mr C who raped Audrey and Diane, not the “good Cooper”. But it was the good Cooper who unleashed his doppelgänger on the world by failing to meet him with perfect courage. If Leland was not entirely innocent within his situation, can the same be said of Cooper?

Taken as a whole, I think the season paints a portrait of a man who is unable to confront the terrible things he has done (or more optimistically the evil he is capable of) and as a result lives a life of mediocrity while the hero he still somewhat perceived himself lies dormant and his darker side remains confined to the shadows. At a certain point however the hero starts to wake up, and the man starts to see joy and possibility in the world again. Rather than truly wake up and confront the reality of life however, he chooses to fall into a fantasy that he is the hero he used to believe himself to be. He convinces himself that nothing has changed in 25 years, that his darker self and the evil that men do can be easily vanquished, and the sins of the past can be undone. That’s how we wind up with the Richard of Part 18, lost and fundamentally alone.

Again, this is not to say that season 4 will begin with a middle-aged man waking from a dream that reflected his mid-life crisis. That would be akin to Eraserhead ending with the reveal of an overwhelmed father describing a surreal nightmare which stemmed from his own fear of responsibility. Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway nearly go down that route but even they muddy the waters a fair bit. What I am saying is that we may get more planes of existence, some banal, some fantastical, but all of which will have some bearing on the themes and psychological realities which have already been explored.
Last edited by enumbs on Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Beautiful, enumbs.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Ok, I have no major disagreement with anything written above - I don't see how it really goes against my own ideas.

However, as you mentioned "the grief and guilt of Sarah Palmer, the cyclical mistakes made by Shelley and her daughter, the attempted moral growth of Ben Horne", if those are important aspects of The Return, wouldn't we all have been fascinated far more if they had double the amount of air time?

Sarah's scenes are all very good but they really amount to about 15 minutes of screen time. Shelly and Becky, the latter especially have about the same amount of time onscreen. Shelly is present in a lot of diner scenes but if we were really following her life intently in The Return why did we not get a few more scenes - perhaps her and Becky stopping over for a night? In terms of Ben, again he was confined to one space for his scenes and only had a limited screen time. Would I have enjoyed seeing him around and about the hotel or doing anything else? Absolutely. In terms of being confined, all of the scenes share that with Cooper's own entrapment - with Dougie or Mr C. So it all does fit together very well.

Do you not feel like The Return is a doppleganger season? Everything is unbalanced and suffering a spiritual drought. Events in Twin Peaks are as absurd and disturbing as those shown in Las Vegas or Buckhorn. Before, Cooper and other characters offered something of a balance to the evil goings-on. That was now completely upended.

I don't simply view everything in The Return as being viewed through the lens of Cooper in the Lodge but that the Black Lodge's effects have filtered through into the 'real world' so much that the two have become merged. I don't see it as being simply possible to ascertain where Cooper's consciousness starts or ends in the show and where the 'real' events begin or end - it is all ruptured and blurred. I just look at the opening credits of the blurred and crazy zigzags in the Lodge flooring layered over the billowing red drapes - these images create the very sense of unease and chaos I am seeing in the show.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

“I don't see how it really goes against my own ideas.”

My post was at odds with your statement that “everything we see throughout the season is the Lodge playing with Cooper's mind”. I was saying that the other characters exist independently from his consciousness, and that the psychological aspects you were suggesting were also applicable without believing Cooper was literally stuck in the lodge throughout the season.