Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:"The new David Lynch Netflix project, UNRECORDED NIGHT, is now listed as being co-produced by Twin Peaks Productions, Inc., which, as far as I can tell, has previously *only* been used on Twin Peaks film and TV programs."
Who are you quoting, Jerry?! If you can say. Not that I ever doubt that you have the genuine goods!
The same source:

https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 5011389444
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Bobkind on there too. Is this gonna be a musical?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Wow.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LateReg wrote:Wow.
BOB
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jasper wrote:
LateReg wrote:Wow.
BOB
WOW!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

If it is Season 4 or a related show/spin-off/spiritual sequel, how will it work that this new season/batch of episodes is on Netflix, while Season 3 is on Showtime, and Season 1 and 2 are (presumably) CBS? I understand Netflix could license the other seasons and maybe become the main distributor while L/F Productions would be the owner but would CBS and Showtime want to give up their main stake in any streaming rights?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:If it is Season 4 or a related show/spin-off/spiritual sequel, how will it work that this new season/batch of episodes is on Netflix, while Season 3 is on Showtime, and Season 1 and 2 are (presumably) CBS? I understand Netflix could license the other seasons and maybe become the main distributor while L/F Productions would be the owner but would CBS and Showtime want to give up their main stake in any streaming rights?
It’s a great question. Everyone has a price, and Netflix has deep pockets. But it’s also possible that this project, while perhaps TP-adjacent, is so tangential that Netflix is confident people can come in cold without necessarily watching the earlier material. If the new series is indeed some form of Peaks, and if Netflix’s plan is to acquire distribution rights to the earlier material, one would imagine that would have been worked out before any deal was formally put in place.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

My feeling is this is a Season 4/spin-off mash-up, beginning on the same ("unrecorded") night where TR ended and branching into a new series with Carrie Page initially before exploring other Lynchscapes. It won't be an actual Season 4 in the same way TR wasn't an actual Season 3/nostalgic revival and may be even more removed again, sort of another evolution - a spiritual companion show. I doubt it will even be called "Twin Peaks". So something new but unofficially connected. That might be one way around CBS/Showtime having the other seasons, while this new one goes to a new service unconnected to them (or, seemingly, Frost). Might also explain why it might be filmed in LA and not Washington. I often felt Season 3 shouldn't have even been called "Twin Peaks", as only some of it was set there and I'm not even sure the town was still there in the end - Carrie and Richard were somewhere else. The story felt like it was increasingly moving away from the original town (in more ways than one).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:If it is Season 4 or a related show/spin-off/spiritual sequel, how will it work that this new season/batch of episodes is on Netflix, while Season 3 is on Showtime, and Season 1 and 2 are (presumably) CBS? I understand Netflix could license the other seasons and maybe become the main distributor while L/F Productions would be the owner but would CBS and Showtime want to give up their main stake in any streaming rights?
It’s a great question. Everyone has a price, and Netflix has deep pockets. But it’s also possible that this project, while perhaps TP-adjacent, is so tangential that Netflix is confident people can come in cold without necessarily watching the earlier material. If the new series is indeed some form of Peaks, and if Netflix’s plan is to acquire distribution rights to the earlier material, one would imagine that would have been worked out before any deal was formally put in place.
Well said. Yes, I think it's something like this - separate/tangential but adjacent/connected.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the original cast was barely even involved (perhaps Kyle and Sheryl Lee popping up in a couple of episodes in a story that otherwise takes place elsewhere). Assuming this is even TP-adjacent at all (which is certainly seeming more likely). We’ll just have to wait and see!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote:My feeling is this is a Season 4/spin-off mash-up, beginning on the same ("unrecorded") night where TR ended and branching into a new series with Carrie Page initially before exploring other Lynchscapes. It won't be an actual Season 4 in the same way TR wasn't an actual Season 3/nostalgic revival and may be even more removed again, sort of another evolution - a spiritual companion show. I doubt it will even be called "Twin Peaks". So something new but unofficially connected. That might be one way around CBS/Showtime having the other seasons, while this new one goes to a new service unconnected to them (or, seemingly, Frost). Might also explain why it might be filmed in LA and not Washington. I often felt Season 3 shouldn't have even been called "Twin Peaks", as only some of it was set there and I'm not even sure the town was still there in the end - Carrie and Richard were somewhere else. The story felt like it was increasingly moving away from the original town (in more ways than one).
Good thoughts. Re: The Return being called Twin Peaks, Twin Peaks is a state of mind as much as a place, I'd say! Also, wasn't the story moving more and more toward Twin Peaks as it went along and everyone was making their way there via those coordinates?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the original cast was barely even involved (perhaps Kyle and Sheryl Lee popping up in a couple of episodes in a story that otherwise takes place elsewhere). Assuming this is even TP-adjacent at all (which is certainly seeming more likely). We’ll just have to wait and see!
I imagine it might start with Kyle and Sheryl, then branch off. Hopefully Audrey and other unresolved characters are in the mix (even as cameos) too, though I think Lynch might consider the stories of a lot of the others complete (or as complete as you can get in Lynch Land).
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I mentioned this a while back but if it is Peaks related I think it's set in the 50s world glimpsed in S3E8. Would make it distant enough to perhaps legally separate it from Twin Peaks but would obviously have quite prominent mythological connections. I really got the sense while watching the S3 BTS footage that Lynch was in his element with all that 50s stuff at the radio station and I bet he wished he could've spent more time there.

Might explain Frost parting ways too - on the one hand I can picture him being very much interested in the White Sands nuke testing stuff but everything else (frogmoths, the radio station, "this is the water and this is the well" etc) felt like pure Lynch. Especially since we know some of it directly comes from his memory of a mystical night in Yugoslavia in the 60s!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

We're back lads
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

LateReg wrote:wasn't the story moving more and more toward Twin Peaks as it went along and everyone was making their way there via those coordinates?
Yes definitely, but even though the story kept working its way back there, after the finale in the sheriff's station and then going back in time to literally erase (at least visually) Laura's murder, it jumped light years away from the town again, with the last episode like an epilogue that seemed to be heading back there again before revealing itself to be possibly in some other world or universe entirely.

Does anyone else remember Mark Frost liking a tweet that said Episode 17 seemed to be the end of something while Episode 18 was setting up something new?