Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Metamorphia wrote:I mentioned this a while back but if it is Peaks related I think it's set in the 50s world glimpsed in S3E8. Would make it distant enough to perhaps legally separate it from Twin Peaks but would obviously have quite prominent mythological connections. I really got the sense while watching the S3 BTS footage that Lynch was in his element with all that 50s stuff at the radio station and I bet he wished he could've spent more time there.

Might explain Frost parting ways too - on the one hand I can picture him being very much interested in the White Sands nuke testing stuff but everything else (frogmoths, the radio station, "this is the water and this is the well" etc) felt like pure Lynch. Especially since we know some of it directly comes from his memory of a mystical night in Yugoslavia in the 60s!
“This is the water” was confirmed as a Lynch-only addition during filming. I’d love to get another fully B&W work from Lynch, but I get the sense that he (unlike Mark) wants to keep it ambiguous whether or not 1956 Girl is Sarah, so I’m not sure how much more time he would want to spend on that particular corner of the universe.

He did, however, complain in behind the scenes footage that he could have spent weeks in the Fireman’s house going dreamy, as opposed to the two days he was budgeted....
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

The calvert studio address seems to be rented out to A2K and Twin Peaks Productions. I had doubted this was Twin Peaks, but that
indicates characters/ intellectual property...

Bobkind is the current office space on sunset, how I read it. Maybe Bobkind name on lease.

Feb 23rd, night Laura died and/or now disappeared, could indeed be the unrecorded night I suppose. maybe that is part of his whole thing.

“Well, Ray, you know, the town is still there. And I suppose it’s possible that we could revisit it. Of course, you’re already dead (…) but we could maybe work around that.“
said David Lynch in 2013

https://moviehole.net/david-lynch-think ... -possible/

It is perhaps possible, that although Mark Frost thinks Leland committed suicide in an alternate timeline (according to Final Dossier) Lynch thinks Leland still alive.

Maybe Lynch is all-in on an alternate universe, and there are creative differences with Frost about it, possible I suppose.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

"Starring SHERYL LEE" or I riot
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
“This is the water” was confirmed as a Lynch-only addition during filming. I’d love to get another fully B&W work from Lynch, but I get the sense that he (unlike Mark) wants to keep it ambiguous whether or not 1956 Girl is Sarah, so I’m not sure how much more time he would want to spend on that particular corner of the universe.
I agree 100% on the 1956 girl Mr Reindeer. I thought she was an abstraction of sorts for violation/ assault. Frost asserting it was Sarah. dunno if Lynch would see it that way. I feel like a lot of the fantasy stuff isn't meant to be literal, just dreamy abstractions.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jonah wrote:If it is Season 4 or a related show/spin-off/spiritual sequel, how will it work that this new season/batch of episodes is on Netflix, while Season 3 is on Showtime, and Season 1 and 2 are (presumably) CBS? I understand Netflix could license the other seasons and maybe become the main distributor while L/F Productions would be the owner but would CBS and Showtime want to give up their main stake in any streaming rights?
I’m guessing it’s like Breaking Bad. AMC owns it. Netflix just has the streaming rights. But Netflix completely produced El Camino
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

The TP Productions thing is notable but I really wouldn't jump to any conclusions. In all likelihood it's just some kind of formality.

I know Lynch can be mercurial but it just doesn't make any sense that he would do it without Frost. In 1992 it made sense given the way things ended. This would be borderline spiteful.
Smiling Bag
Roadhouse Member

Post by Smiling Bag »

Folks, I do not post often but I read every post here and am the top tier of TP fandom. I will acknowledge that I am in fact an optimist, but I think that Occam's Razor would indicate this is Twin Peaks related at least and absolutely Twin Peaks is likely. Let's look at a sequence of events as I recall them.

1. Kimmy's slip up at a fan event that she "can't say anything until later"
2. HHM begins rumors that something will delight TP fans in 2020
3. HHM insists rumors are true and we will all be in awe in 2020 after being pressed.
4. Multiple cast member tweets in same timeframe play with us as fans (Kyle regarding coffee and donuts, Michael Horse with the "Be Quiet" meme of Hawk.)
5. COVID happens and fucks the world.
6. Then we get the legal filings around the Twin Peaks name/production company etc.
7. Netflix working title of "Wisteria" leaked...….This in turn is both a street Kyle's character live on in Desperate Housewives and low and behold turns out to be a street in Odessa (which is tiny as I live in TX), same city as Carrie Page.
8. Lynch online "number of the day" is 8 and ends with red curtains. Remember "8" is the infinity sign and what the owl cave symbol became during the Jeffries teapot scene etc. Also reference to the amazing episode 8 of TPTR.
9. New Netflix title of "Unrecorded night" leaks...…..This seems like Cooper's last line of "what year is it" related.
10. Now Jerry's news of the TP Production company being involved.

Folks...…This is TP or at least the continuation of the TP universe.....The Return gave us our nostalgia...….Ed and Norma got together.....Bobby and Shelly are cordial........Nadine and Jacoby are a thing, and Jerry Horne is going to be bailed out by Ben...…..This will be Cooper/Richard, Diane/Linda, Laura/Carrie, Jayne-E, and all things related but not IN the "town of" Twin Peaks. It is a win/win for Netflix and Showtime. Netflix has more money than sense now since COVID, and probably can enter a partnership with Showtime that is mutually beneficial. They can leverage the Lynch and TP allure but still create a unique universe that does not REQUIRE you to know the town of TP so much in detail. This is going to be the "better call Saul" of TP but I think even more directly connected in a way that allows old diehards like us to find connection and joy to the TP universe while not having to explain ALL of the legacy TP relationships and nuances....

Yes, I am an optimist, but I think if this was NOT Twin Peaks, someone would have said that. More things significantly point to that it is. Any one of the 10 items above gives you hope. A few of them give you optimism.......All of them.......well I'm sold.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

BGate wrote: I know Lynch can be mercurial but it just doesn't make any sense that he would do it without Frost. In 1992 it made sense given the way things ended. This would be borderline spiteful.
I totally get where you're coming from, and I personally did not think this was Twin Peaks, but if it is, Lynch splitting from Frost would fit perfectly with my (totally subjective) read of things since 2017, which I had already noted weeks ago in this thread. I just sensed Lynch craved a total independence, which is why it doesn't surprise me that whatever this is, he seems to be going it alone.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

For me, this latest news settles it. Twin Peaks Season 4.

Also, Netflix tweeting about Joan Chen today made me gay gasp.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
BGate wrote: I know Lynch can be mercurial but it just doesn't make any sense that he would do it without Frost. In 1992 it made sense given the way things ended. This would be borderline spiteful.
I totally get where you're coming from, and I personally did not think this was Twin Peaks, but if it is, Lynch splitting from Frost would fit perfectly with my (totally subjective) read of things since 2017, which I had already noted weeks ago in this thread. I just sensed Lynch craved a total independence, which is why it doesn't surprise me that whatever this is, he seems to be going it alone.
What I find much more surprising is that Frost would let go without a fight. Assuming that they were 50/50 in a legal sense, it’s hard to imagine what would make Mark walk away from the thing he is most famous for, and has been passionate about for 30 years. I attended a book signing for TSHoTP where he spoke to each individual fan for several minutes and clearly really loved this property. It’s one thing for him to give Lynch his blessing for FWWM while still keeping his stake. But to bow out entirely is so odd.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Well, I'm convinced now. I'm watching Pawel Pawlikowski's Ida, and out of nowhere the lead asks "What'll happen when we find this SZYMON?" Like the coffee place in The Return. Frigging weird man.

Also that February 23 "coincidence" that I noted the other day as far as the date of the new filing with Lynch as sole controller...it seems mysteriously tied to the title Unrecorded Night, given how The Return erased the events of that night from existence.

And yes, if we are reading things right, it is interesting that Frost might willingly let it go, but maybe this is just some project he recognized Lynch could or really wanted do alone. Or maybe Frost was just being gracious. Or maybe he just detected an attitude on Lynch's part and thought it best to give in. I hope all is well, of course.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

People have assumed so many things about the Lynch/Frost relationship in the past that have not proven out. I'm not going to be quick to assume he's not involved, assuming for this moment this is Twin Peaks. I also don't think the most recent interviews from either (not withstanding Frost's book, which I've yet to read) indicate a new falling-out or divide.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Just the fact that one of the production companies could be TP Productions doesn't mean to me that this is more "Peaks" (although I'm speaking as someone who emphatically does not want the show to have another season). It could be that it's being used to represent the same group of producers who worked on S3 or something of that nature, and it might be a temporary name that won't appear on the show. If it is related and you take into consideration Bobkind which is related to music, maybe this is some kind of concert-centered show similar to or an extension of the Roadhouse stuff. By the way, what is Bobkind? I've spotted it on the various albums. Is it a Lynch company ("Bob") or separate?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote: By the way, what is Bobkind? I've spotted it on the various albums. Is it a Lynch company ("Bob") or separate?
It’s Lynch’s music publishing company, for compositions he either writes or commissions. His previous music publishing entity was O.K. Paul, but he switched to Bobkind around the time of the original TP and has stuck with it ever since.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Poor Soolsma is going to come back to another 20 posts in this thread as we go down another rabbit hole. :(
Are you mocking me :P I love going off-topic with you bunch, and have engaged in it many times. I just find the earlier discussion to be off-putting in the sense that I understand why politics are actually forbidden on this board: I want to come here to geek around about things (distantly) related to Twin Peaks/DKL, and not indulge myself too much in the views of others on what is ultimately such a broad and polarizing subject.FWIW let's just say I was very happy Lynch openly endorsed BLM.

And, oh my, such seemingly great news. Carrie Page here we come, bring on those ''disturbances''. I can already feel the hype fire burning up again, and when this kind of fire starts, it's very hard to put out.
N. Needleman wrote:I'm not going to be quick to assume he's not involved, assuming for this moment this is Twin Peaks.
Well, he flat out denied being involved. Then, when asked if he was under an NDA he stated a solid ''No. No NDA. Not involved. Period.''. Sure seems like a 'no' to me, otherwise he would have played coy or simply ignored the question.
Last edited by Soolsma on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."