Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by N. Needleman »

It's time for the perennial reminder that O&A know nothing. They glom onto stuff they hear from others and spin it out as an exclusive with made up details.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I read the Bushman book today. It's good.

I think some of the stuff in there about the girl in Glendale in his childhood that was killed, and the grief and trauma they went through, being of inspiration to Frost,
was really good.

Good anecdotes throughout, I like his literary references too.

Re: how many eps is the Unrecorded Night.
I think since there's 13 copyrights, 13 is a good bet.

the mini movie thing I wouldn't put too much faith and trust in, I saw the O & A guy being clueless, "I dont understand what a mini movie is !"
but last season of GoT was mini movies, they were like 70-75 min episodes.

There are british shows like Foyle's War hat run 90 min, and there was year of Dr Who specials in 2009 that ran 60-70 min, and so forth.

Is it twin peaks related ?

since I saw the screengrab of end tail from On the Air that says Twin Peaks Productions... hmm... Unrecorded Night still could be whole new concept.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

I don't see Twin Peaks Productions appearing in the credits of On the Air to have any bearing on the intrigue here. Lynch/Frost productions had recently changed their name to Twin Peaks Productions. It's just an updated acknowledgement that it's a Lynch/Frost production.

This time around, Lynch has his own production company for the project (A2K) involved already, and has brought onboard Twin Peaks Productions, who presumably have some stake in the rights to the property, as a co-production company. Why?
Last edited by Cde. on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Cde. wrote:I don't see Twin Peaks Productions appearing in the credits of On the Air to have any bearing on the intrigue here. Lynch/Frost productions had recently changed their name to Twin Peaks Productions. It's just an updated acknowledgement that it's a Lynch/Frust production.

This time around, Lynch has his own production company for the project (A2K) involved already, and has brought onboard Twin Peaks Productions, who presumably have some stake in the rights to the property, as a co-production company. Why?
well, in my experience, O & A usually off by a mile. if he says it's TP, i'm skeptical.

O and A's greatest hits -

- exclusive news that budget fight in 2015 was Showtime wanted Lynch to not have older women in the new show, younger girls preferred,
more sex appeal etc,
- Showtime marketing TP Return as a scam Limited Series to qualify for emmys in that category, and will announce season 4 after the emmys are done.
- DL wants to do some condesnsed 2 hr version of the return in theaters , sounds nothing like the man, went on and on about that one.
- they went on some rumor about an announcement of season 4 and 5 and a movie at same time.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

JackwithOneEye wrote:
Cde. wrote:I don't see Twin Peaks Productions appearing in the credits of On the Air to have any bearing on the intrigue here. Lynch/Frost productions had recently changed their name to Twin Peaks Productions. It's just an updated acknowledgement that it's a Lynch/Frust production.

well, in my experience, O & A usually off by a mile. if he says it's TP, i'm skeptical.

- exclusive news that budget fight in 2015 was Showtime wanted Lynch to not have older women in the new show, younger girls preferred,
more sex appeal etc,
- Showtime marketing TP Return as a scam Limited Series to qualify for emmys in that category, and will announce season 4 after the emmys are done.
- DL wants to do some condesnsed 2 hr version of the return in theaters , sounds nothing like the man, went on and on about that one.
- they went on some rumor about an announcement of season 4 and 5 and a movie at same time.
But .. the facts have nothing to do with O&A, no? That was pre-existing info that’s out there, reported on by Twitter users. Throwing out the source info just because O&A jumped on it and talked about it is ... bizarre. It’s like if We Got This Covered ever quoted Deadline, and, you decided the Deadline article must be bullshit because WGTC quoted it.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:It's time for the perennial reminder that O&A know nothing. They glom onto stuff they hear from others and spin it out as an exclusive with made up details.
And it's time for the Needleman's perennial bashing of O&A channel for sport :D But to each their own, I guess. I just read them as (and "blame" them for) doing the avid fan thing.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

JackwithOneEye wrote:O and A's greatest hits -

more sex appeal etc,
I think they actually claimed that Showtime wanted the female characters from the original cast to be replaced with younger actresses. Don't quote me on that because I never paid attention to those guys, but that one claim made a bit of a stir, so people were talking about it.

Anybody remember that detail?
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I’m a Lodge member. :mrgreen:
I've already gone places. I just wanna stay where I am...at the Great Northern.

Apparently if I post too much I'll end up trapped in the lodge, which is pretty funny if you think about it.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rudagger wrote:
JackwithOneEye wrote:

more sex appeal etc,
But .. the facts have nothing to do with O&A, no? That was pre-existing info that’s out there, reported on by Twitter users. Throwing out the source info just because O&A jumped on it and talked about it is ... bizarre. It’s like if We Got This Covered ever quoted Deadline, and, you decided the Deadline article must be bullshit because WGTC quoted it.
Precisely. There were and are various TP-related info tidbits circling the Internet stratosphere, coming from God knows which - legit, half-legit, or/and completely non-legit - sources to God knows which ends (some of them are, of course, nothing more than blatant clickbaits, but you can chalk about 70 % of "legit" news articles to that). O&A (and a ton of other fan channels, I'm sure) just picks them up and has basically harmless fun with them, seasoned with truly encyclopaedic knowledge of the TP lore and legacy and good old fan sparkle - you may not come from their show rich with new information but it'll be time well-spent in the company of fellow TP enthusiasts. And, to be fair, they mostly equipt their content with a warning that they're just discussing rumours and they don't know anything of the official nature.
Last edited by Agent Earle on Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Rudagger wrote:
JackwithOneEye wrote:
Cde. wrote: But .. the facts have nothing to do with O&A, no? That was pre-existing info that’s out there, reported on by Twitter users. Throwing out the source info just because O&A jumped on it and talked about it is ... bizarre. It’s like if We Got This Covered ever quoted Deadline, and, you decided the Deadline article must be bullshit because WGTC quoted it.

True, true. just the fact that O & A jumps on Twin Peaks Productions = Twin Peaks universe content, and proclaim it fact, makes me feel it's jinxed not to be.

the twitter acct force colossal or fight colosaal, i forget the name, that has been pointing out the copyrights / filing status of TPP, is also pointing out the On The Air end credit with Twin Peaks Productions.

I just don't want to say it's iron clad fact it's Twin Peaks universe yet based on a listing in Production Weekly. but yes, absolutely, it would make sense it's using TP IP.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

JackwithOneEye wrote:but last season of GoT was mini movies, they were like 70-75 min episodes.
Mini-movies were promised, but weren't these episodes just 5 minutes or so longer on average than the average from earlier seasons?

(That's why I prefer 25 episodes (which was mentioned somewhere) over 13 movies/mini-movies. Still, either way I feel blessed. Someone here noticed how these last years more than double Lynch' output as a director. Insane!)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

JackwithOneEye wrote:
Rudagger wrote:
JackwithOneEye wrote:

True, true. just the fact that O & A jumps on Twin Peaks Productions = Twin Peaks universe content, and proclaim it fact, makes me feel it's jinxed not to be.

the twitter acct force colossal or fight colosaal, i forget the name, that has been pointing out the copyrights / filing status of TPP, is also pointing out the On The Air end credit with Twin Peaks Productions.

I just don't want to say it's iron clad fact it's Twin Peaks universe yet based on a listing in Production Weekly. but yes, absolutely, it would make sense it's using TP IP.
"On the Air" was produced by the same business partners, at the same time as "Twin Peaks", for the same network. Of course it could make sense to make it part of existing and operational production company. To compare, in 2020 Lynch is (possibly) producing content for a different platform, had to go through logistical hoops of becoming sole owner of "Twin Peaks Productions", and has nothing else going currently that necessitates reviving an old production company name. Obviously this has to do with how existing rights (distribution, merchandising etc.) for "Twin Peaks" related content is already part of a deal under "Twin Peaks Productions". Less legwork, because whatever this is, has some bearing on that IP.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Agent Earle wrote:
Rudagger wrote:
JackwithOneEye wrote:

more sex appeal etc,
Precisely. There were and are various TP-related info tidbits circling the Internet stratosphere, coming from God knows which - legit, half-legit, or/and completely non-legit - sources to God knows which ends (some of them are, of course, nothing more than blatant clickbaits, but you can chalk about 70 % of "legit" news articles to that). O&A (and a ton of other fan channels, I'm sure) just picks them up and has basically harmless fun with them, seasoned with truly encyclopaedic knowledge of the TP lore and legacy and good old fan sparkle - you may not come from their show rich with new information but it'll be time well-spent in the company of fellow TP enthusiasts. And, to be fair, they mostly equipt their content with a warning that they're just discussing rumours and they don't know anything of the official nature.

I just took a few minutes and watched the beginning of his recent stream. It's all half-truths and misquotes (ex: "David Lynch has said he really really really wants to get back to the Carrie Paige character") aimed at making an argument for his preconceived notion. It is true that he's not claiming to have personal sources (give it time). But I personally just don't like it when people engage in this kind of bad faith rhetoric, whether it's something serious or something relatively frivolous like a TV show. Sure it's "harmless", but he's also getting people's hopes up with very little to back it up. Have fun with it, I guess, but we all know he likes to fabricate things, which is just kind of pathetic, imo.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

On the Air was only copyrighted to TP Productions for the Pilot. The remaining episodes were copyrighted to an entity formed especially for the series, Zoblotnick Broadcasting Corporation. Obviously, it didn’t make sense to form a whole new company just for a Pilot before they knew they’d get a pickup, and L/F Productions had presumably been dissolved by that point.

That being said, it’s pretty clear to me from the title that Unrecorded Night is an On the Air continuation, taking place on a night when the ghost of Bud Budwaller (portrayed as a floating orb) destroys all the camera equipment in a fit of rage. The entire 25 hours will be entirely viewed from the first-person perspective of Blinky Watts.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Rhodes wrote:Someone here noticed how these last years more than double Lynch' output as a director. Insane!)
And not just that; if this turns out to be Twin Peaks or some kind of a spin-off (which I would still consider TP), the total running time of the 2017 - present Twin Peaks era would probably surpass the 1990 - 1992 period + The Missing Pieces.

If we split the films and the two feature length episodes into 45 min episodes, we get circa 37 episodes from the original run. We have 18 parts of The Return so, whether 13 "mini-movies" or 25 hours of regular episodes, if this is TP, you can see where we might be headed.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

BGate wrote:
I just took a few minutes and watched the beginning of his recent stream. It's all half-truths and misquotes (ex: "David Lynch has said he really really really wants to get back to the Carrie Paige character") aimed at making an argument for his preconceived notion. It is true that he's not claiming to have personal sources (give it time). But I personally just don't like it when people engage in this kind of bad faith rhetoric, whether it's something serious or something relatively frivolous like a TV show. Sure it's "harmless", but he's also getting people's hopes up with very little to back it up. Have fun with it, I guess, but we all know he likes to fabricate things, which is just kind of pathetic, imo.
I noticed this as well. I think the Lynch quote was that Carrie Page was calling to him, but the signal had disturbances, and then evolved into 'he really really really wants to do more with Carrie Page'.... Also there is an interview in 2018 where DL seemed to imply he'd like to do another series entirely I think (?)

The phrase 'continuing story' is clear as day to me that it means a story arc or a serial. Mulholland Drive as a series, clearly from the pilot, was not a self contained thing like Hotel Room, it had a cliffhanger, and I'm sure there are Lynch references to that somewhere as a continuing story. I think he called it a 'body without a head' at some point. the O & A guy actually says with a straight face "continuing story can only mean one thing - Twin Peaks" and "Lynch only says continuing story in reference to Twin Peaks " , I dunno.

continuing story could still mean new hook, new story, new characters.

I don't know how to explain the Twin peaks Production thing, but Spielberg uses Amblin sometimes
on Dreamwork films, etc. Amblin logo uses ET and title of a short film of his, who knows.