Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BGate
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by BGate »

JackwithOneEye wrote:The phrase 'continuing story' is clear as day to me that it means a story arc or a serial. Mulholland Drive as a series, clearly from the pilot, was not a self contained thing like Hotel Room, it had a cliffhanger, and I'm sure there are Lynch references to that somewhere as a continuing story. I think he called it a 'body without a head' at some point. the O & A guy actually says with a straight face "continuing story can only mean one thing - Twin Peaks" and "Lynch only says continuing story in reference to Twin Peaks " , I dunno.
That's another quote he altered. He says Lynch talks about "continuing THE story", so therefore it refers to TP. It's a very sly little trick dishonest people use because they know most people won't be familiar enough with the details to notice.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Lynch has always spoken of the joy of telling a continuing story in terms of Television work in general - not just about "Twin Peaks".

I don't think Spielberg using Amblin Entertainment on and off is in any way comparable to Lynch using "Twin Peaks Productions".
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

eyeboogers wrote: I don't think Spielberg using Amblin Entertainment on and off is in any way comparable to Lynch using "Twin Peaks Productions".
It is definitely suspicious and eye brow raising using Twin Peaks productions , it does heavily imply intellectual property from Twin Peaks is being used but I’m reluctant to call it a fact it’s TP or TP spin-off based on a production company name on a listing in a trade . I don’t know who is asking for the listing in pweekly but there are innocent things where maybe a2k doesn’t have enough in the bank and Calvert is getting deposits on space from a twin peaks productions bank account.

For whatever reason Spielberg used at ET logo all over the place , people just do stuff like that sometimes . Disney markets any old thing they put out with Mickey Mouse etc my only point on that . Maybe lynch likes using tpp for branding . Who knows
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

That deposit thing could happen, but if that was the case, then Lynch could have probably paid that deposit with a tiny portion of the hopefully astronomical amount it took to buy Mark Frost's half of the Twin Peaks rights. Remember "Twin Peaks Productions" also handles all the merchandising revenue and such.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Did he buy Frost's part of TPP or is that just speculation?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:Did he buy Frost's part of TPP or is that just speculation?
There was a filing listing Lynch as the sole corporate officer. Assuming that Frost was an officer previously—which seems extremely likely—then Frost presumably received some compensation for the shares in the corporation he presumably gave up. All speculation, but very well-founded speculation that most seem to agree on. As with everything TP-related, it’s possible that we’re totally wrong about everything!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:It's time for the perennial reminder that O&A know nothing. They glom onto stuff they hear from others and spin it out as an exclusive with made up details.
And it's time for the Needleman's perennial bashing of O&A channel for sport :D But to each their own, I guess. I just read them as (and "blame" them for) doing the avid fan thing.
It has nothing to do with sport, lol. They made up a fictional scoop that spread to multiple forums before the show aired claiming Showtime had forced Lynch to hire young people and sideline the older cast due to their fixation on 'millennials' watching the show. That claim came from them, not somewhere else. They used to repackage stuff they got from here, add complete fiction to it, then claim it as 'exclusives.' Then they bashed the Dugpa forum for shutting down the spoiler section, their main pipeline, calling everyone here snobs. People don't have to show me who they are more than once. Grift is grift. They want hits above all and are willing to sensationalize details, call fan theories 'rumors', and bend or misquote any bit of information (as outlined above) to get it. Their "it's just a bit of fun lol" excuse got old more than five years ago. These people are older than me, they know better.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
IcedOver wrote:Did he buy Frost's part of TPP or is that just speculation?
There was a filing listing Lynch as the sole corporate officer. Assuming that Frost was an officer previously—which seems extremely likely—then Frost presumably received some compensation for the shares in the corporation he presumably gave up. All speculation, but very well-founded speculation that most seem to agree on. As with everything TP-related, it’s possible that we’re totally wrong about everything!
one bit of frustration Frost may have is that DL isn't that as open as he would like to licensing.

I dunno if I'm imagining this or not, but I believe I read somewhere Robert Engels wanted to write a novel or graphic novel or something at one point with TP characters, and MF was fine with it, and DL vetoed it, so I can see a scenario under which Frost says, ok, buy me out, if we're not going to license a line of novels or comic books or radio plays, buy my %. and now that he has those two books off his chest himself, maybe feels at peace with it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: I dunno if I'm imagining this or not, but I believe I read somewhere Robert Engels wanted to write a novel or graphic novel or something at one point with TP characters, and MF was fine with it, and DL vetoed it, so I can see a scenario under which Frost says, ok, buy me out, if we're not going to license a line of novels or comic books or radio plays, buy my %.
This was in 2006 when the Gold Box DVD set was in production. Some comic artist expressed an interest in drawing a comic finishing the story of the season 2 cliffhanger, that could be included as an insert with the DVD, and Engels was interested in writing it based on the ideas they had had at the time (Harry driving a truck backwards and whatever). Lynch vetoed it, probably because none of those ideas had anything to do with his vision of Episode 29 and beyond, and he wanted to leave the door open even on the slim chance he might ever do more. And thank goodness he did.

Lynch has been very good natured about letting others (including Frost) write books in the TP universe, I think he just didn’t want a direct continuation that might negate his potential future interpretation.

Edit: The artist was Matt Haley. Here’s an interview: http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... w.html?m=1 I definitely think Lynch made the right call in this case, respectfully to all other parties.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Thanks for the link Mr Reindeer re the comic.

I remember reading this over a decade ago but had forgotten the details. man, time flies.

all that being sad, pretty sad to think Frost might be selling off his interest in TPP.

I wish they would at least exploit On The Air more. I'd love to see it re scanned in HD on disc or streaming. American Chronicles for that matter, I wish they would let out in the world.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

I think in life, in general, everyone could stand to be less certain about things. About everything.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

BGate wrote:I think in life, in general, everyone could stand to be less certain about things. About everything.

100% on that. everything with Twin Peaks Productions and the Production weekly listing is speculation and guess work.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

JackwithOneEye wrote:100% on that. everything with Twin Peaks Productions and the Production weekly listing is speculation and guess work.
In terms of Production weekly yes, but in terms of the transfer of ownership of the production company those records are publically available. Also some of us have worked with IP's and financing film productions, so we can speak as to what is commonly done, and what might be less likely.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

eyeboogers wrote:
JackwithOneEye wrote:100% on that. everything with Twin Peaks Productions and the Production weekly listing is speculation and guess work.
In terms of Production weekly yes, but in terms of the transfer of ownership of the production company those records are publically available. Also some of us have worked with IP's and financing film productions, so we can speak as to what is commonly done, and what might be less likely.
I dunno. that california sec of state filing screen grab on twitter is mighty thin. not a NASQAQ traded stock here with quarterly reports to read.

i actually havent seen this 1993 filing with Mark Frost supposedly listing as a corporate officer to be honest.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I wasn't sure where else to post this and here seems to be more active than other parts of the forum.

Lara Flynn Boyle seems to be putting in a decent performance in this upcoming movie (caution - trailer is somewhat spoiler heavy). It might not be great and it's a small movie and maybe part plus her onscreen son is only 7 years younger than her in real life, but it looks a lot better than her output a few years back. I hope this is a bit of a comeback for her and we might see her as Donna (or at least in some decent roles) again one day.

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.