Correct Owl Cave Symbol

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BlueRose69

Correct Owl Cave Symbol

Post by BlueRose69 »

I don't post on this forum often, so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, but I had a question regarding the Owl Cave symbol.

I plan on getting a Twin Peaks related tattoo, and I want the Owl Cave symbol featured, but there are different versions of the symbol, so I was wondering which one was the "correct" version, so to speak.

The first attachment is the one that Cooper draws on the napkin in Episode 25, where he merges Briggs' and Log Lady's tattoos together. This is the version that I WANT to use in my tattoo, but the thing that concerns me, is Cooper changes the triangles of Briggs' tattoos to diamonds, so I don't know if it was as universally "accepted" as the official Owl Cave symbol or not.

The second attachment is the more commonly seen and accepted Owl Cave symbol, seen in the actual Owl Cave, and on the jade ring.

So my question is basically, which one is more universally accepted? Are both considered Owl Cave symbols?
Attachments
owl-cave-symbol.png
owl-cave-symbol.png (13.98 KiB) Viewed 11073 times
flat,800x800,075,f.u4.jpg
flat,800x800,075,f.u4.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 11073 times
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Re: Correct Owl Cave Symbol

Post by Hockey Mask »

I always thought the bottom one was.
Jay_Stone

Post by Jay_Stone »

Wasn't the drawing Cooper did a combination of the owl cave drawing and the log lady's or Major Briggs' tattoo?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
BlueRose69

Post by BlueRose69 »

Jay_Stone wrote:Wasn't the drawing Cooper did a combination of the owl cave drawing and the log lady's or Major Briggs' tattoo?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
Yes, but when Cooper drew this, Briggs' tattoo (which was in a triangular shape) was changed to diamonds, so that's why I was still wondering if Cooper's drawing is accepted as an official Owl Cave symbol, or if the simpler design seen on the ring is the "correct" one
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think both are technically "correct" in that they're in the show (and TSHoTP), and easily recognizable to TP fans, but the "napkin" one has always sorta bugged me for the reasons you state. IIRC, it's also not super clear if that symbol is actually in Owl Cave or if it just vaguely reminds Annie of the symbol on the dower/ring. Plus, DKL has embraced the symbol from the actual cave by incorporating it as a key symbol in FWWM.

Also worth noting that the version on the ring differs slightly from the cave/dower icon -- it has a little notch on top of the diamond.
BlueRose69

Post by BlueRose69 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think both are technically "correct" in that they're in the show (and TSHoTP), and easily recognizable to TP fans, but the "napkin" one has always sorta bugged me for the reasons you state. IIRC, it's also not super clear if that symbol is actually in Owl Cave or if it just vaguely reminds Annie of the symbol on the dower/ring. Plus, DKL has embraced the symbol from the actual cave by incorporating it as a key symbol in FWWM.

Also worth noting that the version on the ring differs slightly from the cave/dower icon -- it has a little notch on top of the diamond.

Thanks for the response! Beyond my tattoo idea, I knew there were differing versions and opinions about the Owl Cave symbol, so I always wondered about it. I consider both canon and acceptable versions, but that's just me, was wondering what others thought.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think both are technically "correct" in that they're in the show (and TSHoTP), and easily recognizable to TP fans, but the "napkin" one has always sorta bugged me for the reasons you state. IIRC, it's also not super clear if that symbol is actually in Owl Cave or if it just vaguely reminds Annie of the symbol on the dower/ring.
Coop's drawing is the first symbol they find at Owl Cave--before the knob thing pops out that reveals the petroglyph.
owl-cave.jpg
owl-cave.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 10975 times
Minus the top diamond and fire, Coop's drawing is the same. Until Andy hits this symbol with his pick-axe and the knob thing pops out, the ring icon is hidden.

It is true that Coop takes some liberties when combining the tattoos, but I've always chalked that up to his preternatural intuition kicking in.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ah right of course!
BlueRose69

Post by BlueRose69 »

counterpaul wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think both are technically "correct" in that they're in the show (and TSHoTP), and easily recognizable to TP fans, but the "napkin" one has always sorta bugged me for the reasons you state. IIRC, it's also not super clear if that symbol is actually in Owl Cave or if it just vaguely reminds Annie of the symbol on the dower/ring.
Coop's drawing is the first symbol they find at Owl Cave--before the knob thing pops out that reveals the petroglyph.

owl-cave.jpg

Minus the top diamond and fire, Coop's drawing is the same. Until Andy hits this symbol with his pick-axe and the knob thing pops out, the ring icon is hidden.

It is true that Coop takes some liberties when combining the tattoos, but I've always chalked that up to his preternatural intuition kicking in.
I never noticed that before, awesome!