Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Peaks Fans Top 10 TV shows

Postby LateReg » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:11 am

Stavrogyn wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:I had The Plot Against America somehwere in the back of my mind, but the fact that it's as recent as it is managed to slip my mind. I'll check it out, but not before I give Treme a go - that's another Simon community show, looking into New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I'm hoping for an immersive, sprawling tapestry of characters in the vein of The Wire, Show Me a Hero and The Deuce.

Speaking of which, I've reached the end of season two and need to catch my breath before delving into the 80s with the third season. I shudder to think what Simon will do with the AIDS crisis...

This is something rather different, but have you seen Angels in America, which I mentioned earlier? It deals with the AIDS crisis in the 1980s in New York City, and I found it extraordinary. It was based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning play.

Regarding Simon, I wasn't aware that he is also responsible for Show Me a Hero, which I have somewhere in the back of my mind, but keep forgetting about it. I guess it must be good too?

Anything Simon is good. Show Me a Hero is great, sharp, concise. And yes, Earle, The Duece is very vivid and works very well for all three seasons. It's a shame it didn't get more attention, as it was a serious program taken for granted in a sea of content.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Postby eyeboogers » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:04 am

Stavrogyn wrote:
Regarding Simon, I wasn't aware that he is also responsible for Show Me a Hero, which I have somewhere in the back of my mind, but keep forgetting about it. I guess it must be good too?

I think it is the best thing David Simon has produced so far.
Agent Earle
Great Northern Member

Postby Agent Earle » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:12 pm

Stavrogyn wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:I had The Plot Against America somehwere in the back of my mind, but the fact that it's as recent as it is managed to slip my mind. I'll check it out, but not before I give Treme a go - that's another Simon community show, looking into New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I'm hoping for an immersive, sprawling tapestry of characters in the vein of The Wire, Show Me a Hero and The Deuce.

Speaking of which, I've reached the end of season two and need to catch my breath before delving into the 80s with the third season. I shudder to think what Simon will do with the AIDS crisis...

This is something rather different, but have you seen Angels in America, which I mentioned earlier? It deals with the AIDS crisis in the 1980s in New York City, and I found it extraordinary. It was based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning play.

Funny you should mention Angels in America - I have it stashed somewhere for about a year, since I've heard about it, and have been meaning to give it a go, as the AIDS crisis and what it meant and caused in sociological terms, is something I'm deeply intersted in in recent years. But when I saw some images from it and heard the detail you mention - ie. the fact that if was based on a theatrical play - I got spooked a little; I fear it might be too "stagy" for my liking. But I guess I should drop my prejudices and proceed with it, huh?

As for Show Me a Hero, yes, that's Simon. It has that sprawling cast/character ensemble and probe into social issues of urban existence (housing, in this case) he's famous for. I'd place it somewhat lower than The Wire and The Deuce personally, as it's only six episodes long and could do with a bit more room to breathe, but the main character - real-life one-time mayor of the city of Yonkers Nick Wasicsko - is fascinating and Oscar Isaac is terric in the role.
Agent Earle
Great Northern Member

Postby Agent Earle » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:22 pm

LateReg wrote:
Anything Simon is good. Show Me a Hero is great, sharp, concise. And yes, Earle, The Duece is very vivid and works very well for all three seasons. It's a shame it didn't get more attention, as it was a serious program taken for granted in a sea of content.

I was swept off my feet when I started watching because I find it incredible that I've never heard about it! I stumbled upon it on IMDb by way of browsing. How come no one's talking about it, I pondered, since this kind of quality demands recognition. I'm happy that its meager three-seasons run was not dictated by lackluster response and that it's an intended part of the showrunners' (there's also novelist George Pelecanos besides Simon, one of the writers of The Wire) vision. Well, at least the show's still pretty recent and has plenty of opportunities to find the viewers retrospectively and gain reputation - I'd say that time is definitely on its side.
Agent Earle
Great Northern Member

Postby Agent Earle » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:29 pm

One other note: I saw Extras, the Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant sitcom, for the first time over the Christmas holidays, and fell in love with it. I can't for the life of me decide whether I like this or The Office (which I first watched over the previous Christmas holidays) better. What a couple of shows! And their comedy - something that is a lot closer to drama, and even tragedy, for most of the time - is just my cup of tee!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Postby LateReg » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:51 pm

Agent Earle wrote:
Funny you should mention Angels in America - I have it stashed somewhere for about a year, since I've heard about it, and have been meaning to give it a go, as the AIDS crisis and what it meant and caused in sociological terms, is something I'm deeply intersted in in recent years. But when I saw some images from it and heard the detail you mention - ie. the fact that if was based on a theatrical play - I got spooked a little; I fear it might be too "stagy" for my liking. But I guess I should drop my prejudices and proceed with it, huh?

As for Show Me a Hero, yes, that's Simon. It has that sprawling cast/character ensemble and probe into social issues of urban existence (housing, in this case) he's famous for. I'd place it somewhat lower than The Wire and The Deuce personally, as it's only six episodes long and could do with a bit more room to breathe, but the main character - real-life one-time mayor of the city of Yonkers Nick Wasicsko - is fascinating and Oscar Isaac is terric in the role.

Re: Angels in America, it's definitely a F-I-L-M, and a great one at that.

And I agree with your assessment of Show Me a Hero. (And also Extras, which I haven't seen in years.)
windh
Roadhouse Member

Postby windh » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:18 am

TP (S 01 and 03 and select eps from 02)
The Office (UK)
True Detective S01
Fawlty Towers
Extras
Rome S01
House of Cards (until Spacey got sacked, deservedly so)
Tre Kärlekar (Swedish WWII-era drama)
Seinfeld
Survivor (yes, you heard me)
/windh

Return to “General”