Dream Dialogue

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Dream Dialogue

Post by Jonah »

Taking most of these from another thread (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3919) - much of this dialogue reminds me a lot of "and now I'm in this dream place" from Mulholland Drive. Maddy's one in particular gives me chills.

Most of these are from the original series - any other notable dream dialogue, in the original series, FWWM, Season 3, or the books? And do any of these take on more significance with the ending of Season 3?
PsychoFox wrote:Other quotes:

Maddy to Leland: "All I did was to come to a funeral. And it's like I fell into a dream"
Donna to Harold: "Maybe our dreams are real"
Bobby to Norma: "I'll see you in my dreams" [Norma: "Not if I see you first."]
Audrey to Donna: "Maybe he'll realize that I am the woman of his dreams"
Nadine to Norma: "Isn't he just the dreamiest ?"
Maddy to Sarah: "I had the strangest dream last night"
Cooper to Albert: "Do you know where dreams come from ?"
pinballmars wrote:Jerry Horne: "Is this real, Ben? Or some strange and twisted dream?"
Novalis wrote:

Code: Select all

COOPER
    Do you know where dreams come from, Harry?

TRUMAN
    Not specifically.

COOPER
        (very happy)
    Acetylcholine neurons fire high voltage impulses into the
    forebrain. The impulses become pictures, the pictures
    become your dream. But no one knows why we choose
    these particular pictures.

Monica Bellucci:

"We are like the dreamer who dreams, and then lives inside the dream. But who is the dreamer?"
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Re: Dream Dialogue

Post by Dougie Cooper »

A number of years ago during a re-watch I tried to catch every use of the word "dream" or any derivative thereof. I know I didn't catch them all (like Donna telling Audrey to "dream on" or Cooper telling Diane about his dream of "large tasteless gumdrops" for instance). My list also doesn't include TPTR, but I think we all know the dream references there: "dream weaver," "still in dreamland?," Cole's dream talk and Cooper's "we live inside a dream," etc. So maybe I'll add that later.

So, just for fun . . .

Twin Peaks FWWM: Cooper to Gordon Cole I was worried about today from the dream I told you about”
Twin Peaks FWWM: Jefferies “It was a dream. We live inside a dream”
Twin Peaks FWWM: Carl to Cooper "It's ok, I was having a bad dream anyway"
Pilot: Bobby to Norma: I'll see you in my dreams
Episode 1: Donna "It's like I'm having the most beautiful dream and the most terrible nightmare all at once."
Episode 2: Truman "The idea for this really came from a dream?"
Episode 3: Cooper "Let me tell you about a dream I had last night" and
“do you know where dreams come from?"
Episode 4: Cooper: "I suspected my dream was connected to . . . . "
Episode 4: Cooper: "In my dream Mike said that he and BOB lived just above a convenient store"
Episode 4: Donna: “ . . her mother was kind of spooky, she had these dreams . . “
Episode 5: Cooper: “Red drapes Harry . . from my dream . . .”
Episode 6 :Laura on tape: “ . . . I feel like I’m in a dream tonight . . . “
Episode 6:Maddy imitating Laura: “ . . I feel like I’m in dream tonight . . “
Episode 7: Maddy speaking to Sarah: “I had the strangest dream last night”
Episode 7: Jacoby speaking to Cooper/Truman: “I can remember hearing the fire alarm go off . . that’s all, I . . . it’s all like a dream . . . . “
Episode 8: Major Briggs to Bobby: A vision I had in my sleep last night. As distinguished from a dream, which is a mere sorting and cataloguing of the day's events by the subconscious . . . "
Episode 9: Cooper speaking to Albert: “And BOB, the man Sarah Palmer saw in her visions. The man who came to me in my dream.”
Episode 9: Jerry speaking to Ben: “Is this real Ben? Or some strange and twisted dream?”
Episode 10: Cooper speaking to Truman: “Harry remember in my dream the one armed man knew BOB”
Episode 10: Maddy speaking to Leland: “It’s like all I did was come to a funeral . . . and I fell into a dream”
Episode 12: Harold speaking to Donna: “There are things you can’t find anywhere, but we dream they can be found in others. Please continue.
Donna: Maybe our dreams are real."
Episode 12: Renault to Nancy "Is the girl asleep?
Nancy: "Dreamland."
Renault: Does she dream of fishes? Of dark lake beds and tangled weeds?
Episode 13: Cole to Cooper “Restless nights and uneasy dreams go with the territory”
Episode 15: CATHERINE (TAPE – speaking to Ben Horne) How often I've thought of you. You and that night we spent together lost in love ... when was that? Yes,I remember, it was the night Laura Palmer died. It seems so long ago, almost like a dream. Memory's so unreliable finally, maybe it was a dream, maybe it never happened. To tell you the truth, I can't be sure anymore.
Episode 16: DONNA (reading Laura’s words in her diary) February 21st. Last night I had the strangest dream. . . . Even if it was only a dream, I hope he heard me. No one in the real world would believe me.
Cooper: Laura and I had the same dream.
[An aside: in a variant script Cooper also says : "But in her dream I was Mike." Which is very curious.]
Cooper to Gerard (Mike) Bob was in my dream. So was Laura Palmer. So were you. And Laura dreamt about me the night before she died. The same dream. I need to go back there and unlock my dream.
COOPER to Truman Laura told me. In my dream.
Episode 20: RENAULT to Cooper Their simple dreams have become a nightmare. What's more death, after all? Maybe yours will be the last. Maybe you brought the nightmare with you.
Episode 26: Major Briggs "I have dreamed it. Or seen it. Somewhere. Somehow."
Episode 27: Major Briggs (answering Earle's question "Now, when did you first see the hieroglyph in Owl Cave?": "In . . . in dreams"