Remastering Twin Peaks Interview is Up

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Remastering Twin Peaks Interview is Up

Post by dugpa »

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Nice!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Another great interview Dugpa!

I guess thier answer to this question...

Dugpa: For the original Season 2 DVD set, some fans were surprised with some minor alterations in both sound and video. Most notably the video in Episode 14 during the Maddy death scene and the audio at the end of Episode 28 where Cooper spots Windom Earle seemed to be omitted. Were these changes done intentionally?

Ryan Adams: No changes were done, seeing as we went off the original cut camera negative, we put it out as it was cut together and intended.

...means we'll never know what really happened. I really wonder how those alternate shots in the Maddy scene came about, as these were def. NOT how the episode aired. At least we have the original stereo track for the missing audio in Episode 28.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Nice interview!

Since they found missing negatives, I guess this means that the picture quality in the Audrey meets Windom in the library scene (ep. 26? 28?) is better than in the S2 set?
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
tomgushue

Post by tomgushue »

The only time I've ever seen season two were with the release of that season 2 set. Could somebody tell me what the changes were?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

There were some slight (I didn't notice them myself) changes with the (1) episode 14 murder scene; (2) Windom meeting Audrey looked like crap (probably taken from a video source of some kind) in the S2 set, supposedly fixed in the Gold set; (3) some inconsistencies in the 5.1 sound mix, most notably Cooper not saying "Windom Earle" like he should when he sees him in episode 28, also supposedly fixed (but never a problem in the original stereo mix that's now available). There might be more.

Also, not an issue with these two sets, but there's a major discrepancy between European broadcasts/Spanish DVD set and S2/Gold set when it comes to Maddy's vision in the carpet (but that's a different issue entirely).
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
msycamore

Post by msycamore »

About the original mix, I wrote this in another thread:
In the new dvd set I just discovered that some dialogue is not included in the original mix, but Cooper's line in episode 28 is back.
It's minor things but still annoying.

The audio that's gone is in episode 5 in the Invitation to love segment in the RR Diner with Shelly, and in episode 11 also in the Diner before Hank notice the asian man, the line "oh fart".

But does anyone know if the "TO BE CONTINUED" was included when it originally aired on abc, since Lynch & Frost wasn't sure if the network would pick up another season? Another change that was made in the european broadcast that I've not seen discussed anywhere is in the 2nd season opener directed by Lynch, when you first see Ronnette Pulaski in her hospital bed she says "Laura" and a short glimpse of her walking on the rails from the pilot is seen. In europe the same scene does not include this pilot footage.
I think it's very interesting that so many subtle changes have been made to this series, I wonder what the reason was for these changes.
Last edited by msycamore on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Ross wrote:Another great interview Dugpa!

I guess their answer to this question...

Dugpa: For the original Season 2 DVD set, some fans were surprised with some minor alterations in both sound and video. Most notably the video in Episode 14 during the Maddy death scene and the audio at the end of Episode 28 where Cooper spots Windom Earle seemed to be omitted. Were these changes done intentionally?

Ryan Adams: No changes were done, seeing as we went off the original cut camera negative, we put it out as it was cut together and intended.

...means we'll never know what really happened. I really wonder how those alternate shots in the Maddy scene came about, as these were def. NOT how the episode aired. At least we have the original stereo track for the missing audio in Episode 28.
Based on the interview, I can only suspect that the "To be continued" on Episode 7 could have been a title that ABC added to the original negative. Artisan only confused the issue more by adding the Twin Peaks Sign.

The reason for my thinking that ABC may have made changes was that from the original camera negative and edit, they would have made a beta master for the TV Series and duplicated that one. This was the same beta master that the VHS and laserdisc sets were mastered from since they never went back to the camera negative for this.

As for the sound changes, I checked the Season 2 set and the Gold Box set on Episode 28. They are identical but interesting thing is that if you turn it up real loud, the "Windom Earle..." line of dialogue is there in the center track, it is just mixed really low.

One thing I have been meaning to do is check the first 7 episodes. I remember that Artisan used an alternate line of dialogue in a scene between Harry and Cooper. I can't remember the exact line but years ago, I noted it down. I'm curious to see if the new sound mix has correct this.

-B