Cigarette Smoking in TP and FWWM

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Cigarette Smoking in TP and FWWM

Post by coolspringsj »

Doesn't it seem like Lynch and company glamorize the hell out of smoking in Twin Peaks?
Last edited by coolspringsj on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

I'm not sure about that, when I saw FWWM and Laura smoking, I thought it did not look that cool. But of course, you're right when it comes to Donna starting smoking, even though her explanations of why she smokes actually shows the absurdity of smoking. It's such a funny line actually. Remember also that Major Briggs keeps saying, "It's a filthy habit" to Bobby, at the beginning of season 1. I think most Twin Peaks watchers have become addicted to coffee rather than cigarettes.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

Lynch smokes and Wild at Heart is basically two hours of cigarette smoking.

The young ones in TP seem to smoke as a form of rebellion.

The older characters (Sarah Palmer, waitress at Hap's) smoke because of stress.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

It's a cinematic device. In many of the films that influenced Twin Peaks, billowing smoke in black and white gives activity and looks good. It's stylization -which is Twin Peaks strong point. Although, I thought Donna always looked stupid when trying to be cool.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

Donna was definitely a poser
Last edited by coolspringsj on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:Although, I thought Donna always looked stupid when trying to be cool.
Right... But that seems like it was kind of the point!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

Theres a certain beauty in watching the smoke curl out of a cig that is easy to take for granted as is the light from a match or lighter, I always thought thats why it was on screen visually good, and it makes for interesting timing too, some one can say something and not recieve an answer for several seconds while the other character lights or smokes.
I hope its not made a bunch of smokers out of everyone though!
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I can assure you that without the invention of the moving image, the number of smokers would have been a lot lower than today. I'm convinced millions started smoking at the sight of Lauren Bacall alone - I mean, who doesn't want to be like that?
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
recordroomx

Post by recordroomx »

I just thought it was always funny how easy some of the characters seem to start and stop smoking. We see Audrey do it only occasionally. Ed has a smoke IN THE HOSPITAL after Nadine tries to kill herself. Donna starts to try to be cool. None of them sem to stick with it. I'd love to know their secret to quitting so easy