Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

james
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Discussion

Post by james »

MysteryMan wrote:Just found out Paramount Australia is set to release Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Limited Edition) on April 30th 2014. Only 1700 copies and just the series, not the movie. Doesn't bode well... :(
MysteryMan - can I ask where you found that out, please?
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

So the info of the release should have been confirmed on 20th Dec. and nothing happened? All this feels strange.. but I guess this is what it's like to be a Twin Peaks fan, you just have to wait and be so patient..

It has been said that the official announcement will come via an unusual route, so that's why my hopes are high that at least something specia will happen, or then this is just another baseless rumor also.. :?
Dustin DeWinn

Post by Dustin DeWinn »

Gabriel wrote:
Dustin DeWinn wrote:I think it justifies torrenting and pirating in a way. I've had several experiences where foreign releases of songs (bonus tracks, etc) were not available here in the States, so even when I went to legitimately buy it, I couldn't. Torrenting was the only way I could obtain it. It's like, "Dudes, I will pay you for this content" and they still don't want to give it to me.

I don't understand that business model or the legality behind it.
One example was the soundtrack CD for Ghost in the Shell SAC: Solid State Society. Having collected all four of the other CDs from the series, I couldn't get the SSS soundtrack because it was included with the US DVD release of the film, but not the UK one. I replaced my hooky copy as soon as it showed up on iTunes, which I always do on principle, but I had been left with little choice. I wish I had the CD though!

The fact the UK dropped the import VAT cutoff from £20 to £15 makes importing much more expensive doesn't help either. When I bought Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome on Amazon.com, it was just below £15. By the time it got here nearly a month later, with changing exchange rates, it was £15.13. I got charged £3.04 VAT and £8 holding charge by the post office, meaning it almost doubled the price.

And they wonder why people download!!!
I have a few examples of this, but one of the more aggravating ones was with Jeffrey Lewis, one of my favorite musicians. I own most of his stuff, and after releasing one of his albums, a Vinyl edition came out on Rough Trade (A British label - he's from Brooklyn) with a bonus track. I don't have a record player, and this song was only available on vinyl. I thought "No problem, I'll just download it." This has since changed, but at the time, it wasn't on itunes or amazon or any music store. I couldn't even find it on torrent sites.

I DID find it on amazon.co.uk, but guess what? Since I don't live in that country, I couldn't buy it. I ultimately inflicted enough self pity on a user on forum who bought it for me in exchange for a Google Wave and Google Voice invite.

But the fact is I was unable to buy it from a UK digital store. (BBC has some country restricted stuff on Youtube too).

ALSO - the band Pinback. On their release of Autumn of the Seraphs, the Japanese and Australian releases each had bonus tracks you had to buy the whole album for, but some kind soul on the forums emailed them to those who requested them. The real kick in the balls was that I had preordered the album from the Record Label and as a gift, they sent out 3 additional bonus tracks, yet the other 2 foreign ones weren't included.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
TPBLUERELEASE.png
TPBLUERELEASE.png (267.88 KiB) Viewed 11754 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
BobSmith

Post by BobSmith »

Ah so it looks like the USC footage will be included. This is great news!
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

SO glad they are including these...I hope everyone involved signs off on it. Those were a treasure trove for Peaks fans. Considering just how many people were involved with those q&a's, it might take awhile for everyone to sign off on them, which is why we don't yet have a release date for this set.
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

More extra material the better, I'm glad that they are doing this. I guess there will be much more extra material on the bonus disc(s). :)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Sorry if this was clarified before, but the image of some scenes looked kind of rough in the DVD, like this one:

Are they gonna be restored so they can match the rest in quality after the Blu ray treatment?
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

If I remember it right the Gold Box set had all of the film rescanned from the original film prints and that's the reason the image quality is so good on DVD (and probably will be even better on Blu-Ray). But those visual fx were only on a lesser videotape format and that's why they look so bad like when Laura's face appear over Donna's in one of the first episodes. I don't know if this is the case here but still.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

gavriloP wrote:If I remember it right the Gold Box set had all of the film rescanned from the original film prints and that's the reason the image quality is so good on DVD (and probably will be even better on Blu-Ray). But those visual fx were only on a lesser videotape format and that's why they look so bad like when Laura's face appear over Donna's in one of the first episodes. I don't know if this is the case here but still.
Yep, I forgot about the scene with Laura's face over Donna's, we can see the difference in quality better in that scene:

Still, I didn't get why the visual fx can't be restored lol.
Yes gavriloP, you're talking to a ignorant :)
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I think that some of the original film takes wasn't found, and that is why some footage was taken from the TV tapes (e.g scene between Audrey and Windom n the library). The TV 25 years ago was not in HD version, so the tapes were in low resolution and tapes aged over the years. The whole series looks fabulous, and there are only few minutes (in 24 hours of the show) not so good as the rest. I think they did the best they could with the material they got, and I hope if they can do anything to get better quality they will.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Sorry if this was clarified before, but the image of some scenes looked kind of rough in the DVD, like this one:

Are they gonna be restored so they can match the rest in quality after the Blu ray treatment?
That scene was in good quality in the HD version on iTunes.
Twin Peaks [1x00] [00] 1080p[18-31-29].jpg
Twin Peaks [1x00] [00] 1080p[18-31-29].jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 11231 times
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

qbin2001 wrote:I think that some of the original film takes wasn't found, and that is why some footage was taken from the TV tapes (e.g scene between Audrey and Windom n the library). The TV 25 years ago was not in HD version, so the tapes were in low resolution and tapes aged over the years. The whole series looks fabulous, and there are only few minutes (in 24 hours of the show) not so good as the rest. I think they did the best they could with the material they got, and I hope if they can do anything to get better quality they will.
You're right, they did an amazing job restoring the show. It's not a complain, I just wanted to clear the air on that matter :)
Thanks guys
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

qbin2001 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Sorry if this was clarified before, but the image of some scenes looked kind of rough in the DVD, like this one:

That scene was in good quality in the HD version on iTunes.
Twin Peaks [1x00] [00] 1080p[18-31-29].jpg
Hey qbin2001, I took my scene from episode 8 (S02E01), when they're doing a recollection of Laura's murder at the conference room.
I suppose your scene is from the pilot, when Truman and Cooper are visiting the crime sight? That also looked good on the DVD.
Check that scene on episode 8 to see if there was any improvement with the HD :)
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Hey everyone, so I just conducted an interview with Ray Wise for something he's involved in unrelated to Twin Peaks for the Nerdist, which I write for-the interview won't run for a while,but I did get this bit of info out of him towards the end. He has shot something with David Lynch, along with Sheryl Lee and Grace Zabriskie. He said it was something of "sit down" so maybe it's just an interview like "Slice of Lynch" was for the 2007 set? He did say there were many more surprises on this set. And he did confirm the Blu-ray set would have Fire Walk With Me. That's all I got out of him regarding Peaks...but it's something!