Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Brie and Butter
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by Brie and Butter »

My two pet peeves with no Bob in the carpet:

1) Watching originally without knowing what's coming next, it has to be one of the most WTF? moments in TV history. It also makes Maddy seem unrealistically hysterical.
2) Sorry for being too lazy to check, but I believe when Cooper and Truman (and Albert?) are at the station in front of the chalkboard, Cooper says something to the effect of "Mrs. Palmer called this morning to say that Maddy saw the gray-haired man twice in the past few days." This is a big deal, yet the fact that the audience only sees one sighting undercuts its impact.

Long story short, I'd rather see Bob in the carpet than the water-spill, if only for the sake of continuity.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Brie and Butter wrote: 2) Sorry for being too lazy to check, but I believe when Cooper and Truman (and Albert?) are at the station in front of the chalkboard, Cooper says something to the effect of "Mrs. Palmer called this morning to say that Maddy saw the gray-haired man twice in the past few days." This is a big deal, yet the fact that the audience only sees one sighting undercuts its impact.

Long story short, I'd rather see Bob in the carpet than the water-spill, if only for the sake of continuity.
Forgot about that, you're right. I remember being confused, thinking it was a continuity error. The original purpose of the rug scene was for Maddy to see BOB, not a premonition of how the rug would be after her murder. So if they can restore and make it right now, I think it's better (again, not the bubble effect, that's terrible).

Did we ever get an official confirmation that the stain is supposed to be blood? (from Lynch, Mark Frost, Robert Engels, etc?) Otherwise we have to assume that's just unconfirmed fan theory and that stain might be anything.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

When the Blu-ray was first announced, my two wishes were for deleted scenes from FWWM & deleted scenes from the series. This far down the line I thought the chance of either was slight and had a bad feeling that the footage could well be lost by now.

Hearing the set includes both (and 90 minutes of deleted FWWM at that) is the best news I've had this year and I've now played the deleted scenes trailer more time than is probably healthy.

Does anyone have info on the running time of the deleted scenes from the series?

On a related note - I'm sure this has been mentioned on the board before, but I couldn't find it - were any scenes shot with James Hurley's mum? I know there are some scripted scenes but was wondering if these were cut before or after filming.

To everyone involved in getting this set together - thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Henrys Hair wrote:On a related note - I'm sure this has been mentioned on the board before, but I couldn't find it - were any scenes shot with James Hurley's mum? I know there are some scripted scenes but was wondering if these were cut before or after filming.
I know the scene (referenced onscreen in James' dialogue with Donna) was filmed. I think someone even posted a picture on this board of the actress that was cast. I think the scene was originally written for an earlier episode and got cut. And then was planned for the later episode, but it got cut again. But James' dialogue stayed.

I've heard the scene was lost for good, and that most all of the deleted scenes were scrapped entirely. But since it does seem as if they have discovered deleted material once thought lost for the set, I'm praying this scene was found!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote: I've heard the scene was lost for good, and that most all of the deleted scenes were scrapped entirely. But since it does seem as if they have discovered deleted material once thought lost for the set, I'm praying this scene was found!
I'm also interested to see what other series deleted scenes have been recovered since the Gold Box.

It's interesting that the bonus features on that disc include both "Series Deleted Scenes" and "Series Deleted Scenes (HD) - NEW!" Presumably the HD ones are the ones that were recently recovered. And I'm guessing they wouldn't bother also including the non-HD deleted scenes if they had recovered HD versions of those 4 scenes that were already on the Gold Box. We'll find out soon!
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Brie and Butter wrote:My two pet peeves with no Bob in the carpet:

1) Watching originally without knowing what's coming next, it has to be one of the most WTF? moments in TV history. It also makes Maddy seem unrealistically hysterical.
2) Sorry for being too lazy to check, but I believe when Cooper and Truman (and Albert?) are at the station in front of the chalkboard, Cooper says something to the effect of "Mrs. Palmer called this morning to say that Maddy saw the gray-haired man twice in the past few days." This is a big deal, yet the fact that the audience only sees one sighting undercuts its impact.

I wonder if the scene with Maddy seeing Bob in the carpet was added later on when broadcast internationally to avoid this continuity error. There are actually two scenes in which Maddy sees Bob in visions in the scripts. The first one was a deleted scene at the end of episode 8 which also features Leland, Sarah and Donna. I wonder if we will see this scene on the blu ray as part of the deleted scenes from the series, if it was ever shot...
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

So what do people think the scene in the trailer is with the car swirling a donut in the dirt? An unscripted scene? At first I assumed it was Bobby, but that's not Bobby's car.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Leo K
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leo K »

I hope the water-looking stain stays, it's less obvious than a blood stain and more creepy without BOB.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ross wrote:So what do people think the scene in the trailer is with the car swirling a donut in the dirt? An unscripted scene? At first I assumed it was Bobby, but that's not Bobby's car.
I assumed it was Laura and Bobby on their way to the drug deal. They were pretty high, that would explain the swirl.
Didn't know it wasn't Bobby's car. I dunno
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote:So what do people think the scene in the trailer is with the car swirling a donut in the dirt? An unscripted scene? At first I assumed it was Bobby, but that's not Bobby's car.
That's not Chet Desmond's car is it? The one that eventually says LET'S ROCK on the windshield?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Chet WAS kind of a dick, getting Sam to dump coffee on himself to wake him up. Maybe he burned rubber on the way out of Hap's Diner to keep Sam on his toes and ready for the trailer park visit? Heh.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

I assume it is Laura, Donna, Buck and Tommy on their way to Partyland. Also the area looks like what we see in the background when Laura says to Donna "What a downer you are".

I just looked up the script and it says:

133. EXT. BORDER TRUCK STOP - NIGHT

Establish. Tommy takes the car like a rocket into the parking lot
and does a complete three sixty before rocking to a stop. Several
big rigs shadow the lot. They all pop out of Buck's car sporting
"long necks".

Laura takes a hit of cocaine and looks up to see Donna watching.
Buck circles Donna with his big arm and puts a toot under her nose.

DONNA
No.
(turns to Laura)
I don't need to take this to be you
friend.

LAURA
YES YOU DO, DONNA. What a downer you
are!!!
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

MysteryMan wrote:
I assume it is Laura, Donna, Buck and Tommy on their way to Partyland. Also the area looks like what we see in the background when Laura says to Donna "What a downer you are".

I just looked up the script and it says:

133. EXT. BORDER TRUCK STOP - NIGHT

Establish. Tommy takes the car like a rocket into the parking lot
and does a complete three sixty before rocking to a stop. Several
big rigs shadow the lot. They all pop out of Buck's car sporting
"long necks".

Laura takes a hit of cocaine and looks up to see Donna watching.
Buck circles Donna with his big arm and puts a toot under her nose.

DONNA
No.
(turns to Laura)
I don't need to take this to be you
friend.

LAURA
YES YOU DO, DONNA. What a downer you
are!!!
Yep! That looks like it!
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

MysteryMan wrote: I assume it is Laura, Donna, Buck and Tommy on their way to Partyland. Also the area looks like what we see in the background when Laura says to Donna "What a downer you are".
You're right!

I just found the entry in Greg Olson's amazing book, Beautiful Dark, that talks about filming this scene. It's pages 373-374 of the book, and definitely worth reading.

An excerpt:

The scene will not use stunt people. Chris Pedersen will be driving, with Moira Kelly at his side and Sheryl Lee and Victor Rivers in the back seat, and they'll all be grasping beer bottles... Without slacking its speed, the car veers off the pavement into the truck-stop lot, heading straight toward the camera. If it kept coming for a second or two more it would wipe out Lynch and many of his crew, but Pedersen expertly jerks the steering wheel, sending the car into a perfect donut spin around the Cooper Tires signpost, and the driver and his three passengers climb out on wobbly legs as the camera cuts.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

bosguy1981 wrote:
MysteryMan wrote: I assume it is Laura, Donna, Buck and Tommy on their way to Partyland. Also the area looks like what we see in the background when Laura says to Donna "What a downer you are".
You're right!

I just found the entry in Greg Olson's amazing book, Beautiful Dark, that talks about filming this scene. It's pages 373-374 of the book, and definitely worth reading.

An excerpt:

The scene will not use stunt people. Chris Pedersen will be driving, with Moira Kelly at his side and Sheryl Lee and Victor Rivers in the back seat, and they'll all be grasping beer bottles... Without slacking its speed, the car veers off the pavement into the truck-stop lot, heading straight toward the camera. If it kept coming for a second or two more it would wipe out Lynch and many of his crew, but Pedersen expertly jerks the steering wheel, sending the car into a perfect donut spin around the Cooper Tires signpost, and the driver and his three passengers climb out on wobbly legs as the camera cuts.
Awesome! Thanks Bosguy!