Possible explanation (interpretation)

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Tomcat.C

Possible explanation (interpretation)

Post by Tomcat.C »

To understand this film must have basic knowledge of psychoanalysis and also some knowledge of the illness called schizophrenia. The real story, we can draw up the last scene of the movie.

Musician Fred Madison man announces to the intercom that a Dick Laurent is dead. Furthermore, we find that Fred is experiencing marital crisis with his wife Renee, and that somebody on the stairs of their villa leaves a strange videotape. In the last videotape captured the murder of Fred committed at your own wife. Fred is sentenced to death, but the cell suddenly changes into a young mechanic.

Up to this point was quite understandable storyline. But why Fred changed mechanic Pete? The answer is simple. Fred in prison suffered headaches and insomnia. The guards took him to the prison doctor and he gave him sleeping pills! Remember how he feels scattered in the mouth, check whether they are really swallowed and then told him "Now you sleep!"? Then imagine that Fred is still in the cell and it seems to him that it is Pete.

The second part of the movie is a dream of Fred in prison. To understand the story is a crucial one of the last scenes of this dream. Fred it comes to his house and into the intercom say "Dick Laurent is dead. The dream is an illusion based on reality in order to grant the wishes sleeping. Fred at the scene in the early to know who rang him and then told him that "Dick Laurent is dead" and why then at the front door never happened. So now fulfill his dream and also wishes he replies that the sounds he created in his head, then it was just the sound hallucinations as a result of memories of the murder of Dick Laurent!

Schizophrenia manifests itself at the beginning of audio hallucinations, visual hallucinations, and later the toughest stage will be split personality. This means that in a living body, then two individuals who have their own memories. It is therefore likely that the neurosis following the assassination of Laurent, for Fred developed schizophrenia. Why killed Laurent? He was a lover of his wife and killing a rival Fred wanted to resolve the marital crisis. For his victim came to the hotel "Lost Highway", where the lovers secretly met. First Laurent wounded with a knife and then shot him in the desert.

Fred remained with Renee live after the death of Dick. Everything should be fine, but it was not. Fred feels that his wife is still cheating. He called her home when she claimed that he would read, but the phone did not. Vaguely remembers that the club where he plays the saxophone, had gone with a young man (Andy). When sex feels that he does not love his wife. He does not want to admit that his wife begins to hate. Has a visual hallucination, where his wife's face, seeing the face of the mystery man.

Schizophrenia is getting worse. The party at Andy already has audio and visual hallucination combined. His mind created ego second. The entire interview with the mysterious man takes place only in his head!

After arriving home from a party is to split personality. The room goes still like Fred, but when he returns, so it's a mysterious man. Therefore during of examination Fred bad remembers, that his wife killed.

This brings us to those weird videotapes. Recording on tape the memories of a mysterious man and Fred have only the memories replayed in his head during of examination. Let me explain ...

At first viewing, we are able to determine that the second part of the film is the dream of Fred in prison and at the end of a dream that Fred is schizophrenic. Then we have to play the film again on video, either at home or in your head.

When we have information that the first scene unfolds after the death of Laurent and that him killed Fred, at which begins to develop schizophrenia, understanding and other scenes.

In psychoanalysis is the head of the house, so for example the interview of Fred with a mysterious man then takes on a new dimension. Mysterious man talks about Fred's head, but Fred on his house! Mysterious Man: "Actually I was there now." Fred: "Where are you now?" Mystery man: "In your house (the head)." Fred: "This is some bullshit!" Mysterious Man: "Call me (throw me in the head)." Fred: "How did you get into my house (the head)?".

And thanks to the better understanding of the tapes. The first cassette - Mysterious man is before Fred's house (head). The second tape - mystery man inside Fred's house (head) but he can not control. Fred's body is asleep. Third Cartridge - mystery man inside Fred's house (head), but he also mastered. Fred's body of murdering his wife. Fred to the memory of playing in his house (the head) during of examination!

The circle has closed.

Summary:

Fred killed lover (Dick Laurent), his wife. The neuroses following the assassination of Laurent, for he developed schizophrenia, which has grown into the split personality.

As a new person (mystery man), then killed his wife.

For the murder of Renee was sentenced to death (note: Dick shot in the desert, so he was for the police and others can only missing because his body was not found).

Facing seemed to him that as Pete left the prison, lived a relationship with his wife killed (in a dream, Alice), and also that he killed Andy as further alleged lover's wife. At the end of the film awoke.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Re: Possible explanation (interpretation)

Post by Buck's Student »

I never thought the Mystery Man was apart of him. :?:
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Tomcat.C wrote:To understand this film must have basic knowledge of psychoanalysis and also some knowledge of the illness called schizophrenia. The real story, we can draw up the last scene of the movie...

Schizophrenia manifests itself at the beginning of audio hallucinations, visual hallucinations, and later the toughest stage will be split personality. This means that in a living body, then two individuals who have their own memories. It is therefore likely that the neurosis following the assassination of Laurent, for Fred developed schizophrenia.
Hey, welcome to the board, Tomcat.C! Just wanted to clarify a few points you have written in here. I'm a practicing psychotherapist in my real life. Schizophrenia has absolutely NOTHING to do with split (the correct word is multiple) personality. It is a psychotic disease that a person is more likely born with or likely to develop under extreme stress. It is not a nuerosis (out of date terminology.) So what you're describing about two personalities in one body is really more of a multiple personality, which is very rare. I personally think David just likes to play with our minds and didn't base any of these on actual real disease processes.

Just a friendly piece of knowlege for you and whoever else might read this!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Yes, Annie, it is almost funny how often in fiction or in common conversations people combine schizophrenia with multiple personality disorder. I am no psychologist but my old friend "became" schizoprhenic when he was 18 and I get to see that thing forming (not understanding what the hell was going on at the time of course, this was before he got diagnosed and hospitalized). He got into psychosis (he had been close even before, as I realized afterwards) and I have difficulties to put it in words but it was really bizarre experience. He had lots of delusions and being a clever guy many people didn't realize that what he said didn't make any sense. Because they seemed to do so until you looked more closely.

But there was no "other" personality. If anything it seemed like his own one was shattering. He was constantly getting somewhere, never arriving and always changing directions.
Tomcat.C

Post by Tomcat.C »

Hello. Previously, it was considered that the split personality is a typical manifestation of schizophrenia. Not! It is very rare, but it may become :-) Multiple personality is more in a fictional film than in the real world.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Yes, you are right. What is Lynch's idea about schizophrenia, that's all that matters :)
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I bet if you got inside David's head, he would not diagnose anybody. And you know, he certainly wouldn't tell you or anybody else. He likes to keep things mysterious...
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Tomcat.C

Post by Tomcat.C »

Similar principle for display multiple personality is for example in "Fight Club" from Fincher.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

I have discovered the reasoning behind keeping things mysterious: You enjoy people's interpretations. I directed/filmed/edited a 3:15 film that I consider one of my best pieces of work, in all fields (And I'm primarily a musician). Very Lynch influenced, with a hidden meaning that I thought was apparent at first. When my instructor watched it, he said he was immediately creeped and spooked out, even though it was never intended that way. He saw things in it that I didn't see, and everyone else who watched it had different reasoning about what it was about (He was so impressed that he is showing it to all of his classes for Halloween, and wanted to show it to the whole campus).

In the end, I didn't want to explain, because I didn't want to ruin their interpretation. It's like songs; once you figure out your own meaning, and the real one comes out, you don't want to believe the actual message.
carles1988

Post by carles1988 »

Buck's Student wrote:I have discovered the reasoning behind keeping things mysterious: You enjoy people's interpretations. I directed/filmed/edited a 3:15 film that I consider one of my best pieces of work, in all fields (And I'm primarily a musician). Very Lynch influenced, with a hidden meaning that I thought was apparent at first. When my instructor watched it, he said he was immediately creeped and spooked out, even though it was never intended that way. He saw things in it that I didn't see, and everyone else who watched it had different reasoning about what it was about (He was so impressed that he is showing it to all of his classes for Halloween, and wanted to show it to the whole campus).

In the end, I didn't want to explain, because I didn't want to ruin their interpretation. It's like songs; once you figure out your own meaning, and the real one comes out, you don't want to believe the actual message.

For wider understanding, It depends upon the person who is watching or listening to a film or music and there's nothing wrong about their opinions they have the right to critique. Its just matter of being an open-minded individual to see things in real.