O.J. Simpson and Lost Highway

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

David Locke
RR Diner Member

O.J. Simpson and Lost Highway

Post by David Locke »

"What struck me about OJ Simpson was that he was able to smile and laugh. He was able to go golfing with seemingly few problems about the whole thing. I wondered how, if a person did those deeds, he could go on living. And we found this great psychology term - 'psychogenic fugue' - describing an event where the mind tricks itself to escape some horror. So, in a way, Lost Highway is about that. And the fact that nothing can stay hidden forever."
- Lynch

I'd read the above quote before, but while watching the superb new 5-part ESPN documentary on O.J. Simpson yesterday, I was struck by how obvious the connection really is here. It's not that the film is simply a polemic about O.J. directly, but I do think that looking at it thru that lens is extremely sensible; it's hard to think of another Lynch film that's so heavily marked by a certain real-life event or person as LH. One could analyze it down to even the smaller details, such as Fred killing Renee brutally with a knife, her torso actually cut in half (O.J. also used a knife and attacked so brutally that Nicole's head was apparently nearly decapitated). And of course the biggest reference would be the final scene of the film, Fred speeding maniacally down a California highway while multiple cop cars follow in hot pursuit, sirens wailing and lights flashing. Extremely similar to the infamous Bronco chase right after O.J. got pinned for the murders.
ianwogorman

Re: O.J. Simpson and Lost Highway

Post by ianwogorman »

So on point David!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk