Happy 20th Anniversary to Lost Highway!!

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Happy 20th Anniversary to Lost Highway!!

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

Today, Lost Highway turns 20! In honor of this terrific film, I wrote recap essay. Read it here --> http://twinpeaksfanatic.blogspot.com/20 ... -lost.html :D
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary to Lost Highway!!

Post by Johnsusername »

Hey I love your theories! LH is my favourite Lynch film and since it's the only one of his I've seen at the cinema it's the one that had the biggest impact on me. I must have listened to the soundtrack a million times since it came out!!

You're probably right about the Mystery Man being part of Fred - but I've always loved the idea of the MM being a TP Black Lodge character. He'd fit right in haha.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

First Lynch film I ever saw, as an unsuspecting teenager. The first section freaked me out so bad, then when Balthasar Getty entered the picture I became highly confused and frustrated. It wasn't until a few years ago that I came to appreciate this great film.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

this film affected me so much....even more than Twin Peaks...RAN ME OVER......yes green font :?
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Who the hell owns that dog?
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

First I was obsessed with Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet, and then came Lost Highway... I must've watched LH 20-30 times in full over the years, I just was totally obsessed with it for a while, with its atmosphere, its razor-sharp compositions and pitch-black shadows, its ominous feel, its dreamlike nature without really being a dream. Great stuff. It was my favorite Lynch for a while and only more recently did FWWM and Blue Velvet overtake it, but I'd still place LH just under those two and I consider it an absolute masterpiece. My problem with the film isn't the Getty section (which is great), so much as the small transitional period between the detective punching Fred and Pete arriving home from the prison, I just don't find those scenes in Fred's cell as compelling as the rest but still hardly bad.

I was lucky enough also to see LH in a big theater in 35mm, twice in recent years. Amazing, really amazing. Don't miss such a chance if you get it. This was even more true for BV and also MD, but LH was mindblowing with that big celluloid image and that loud sound.