R1 vs MK2

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

worthit
Roadhouse Member

R1 vs MK2

Post by worthit »

Is there any difference at all between the MK2 version of Lost Highway and the upcoming R1 version? I'm thinking in terms of extra features and picture quality. I heard that Lynch approved the R1 version, but did he have anything to do with the MK2 version as well?

My point is, if Lynch didn't approve the MK2 version, then the R1 version should be better. Even if it contains the same bonus features.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I don't have the MK2 LH disc, but the screenshots look fine to me and they're pretty much how I remember the film from the MANY times I've seen it in a cinema. And if the non-approved MK2 R2 vs. Lynch-approved R1 of FWWM is a similar case, I'd say the difference will be negligible. (In fact, the MK2 FWWM might even be preferable since it doesn't have fixed subtitles (the R1 one has, IIRC) in the Partyland and Red Room scenes, but they're simply turned on for those scenes only, as the default setting.) All in all, MK2 do solid work, I think. It would be nice to have Lynch involved, but if the release is in the hands of a company who know what they're doing, it's not like Lynch can miraculously better the picture quality by his mere presence (not saying it can't be improved, though).

(PS: The Brian Wilson-approved remasters of the Beach Boys catalogue stink in comparison with their non-approved Japanese counterparts. I trust Lynch a lot more than I trust Wilson, but an approved but inferior release is a theoretical possibility.)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

We're sure Lynch has approved the new R1 dvd-release? If so, I'll pre-order that thing today.
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

Thanks for the reply. But do we know that the bonus features is the same on both versions, or will there be more on the R1 version than there was on MK2?
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I think thar R2 has more extras.Anyway,i will wait for reviews before buying the R1 version.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Here is a review of the MK2/CinemaClub version.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... hwayr4.htm

I don't think the film looked WOW in the cinema either. It looked good enough, kinda like the DVD does. But that heavily tinted and oft-times unnatural picture style was never my thing (even though it works well for this film). It'll be interesting to see if the Lynch-approved R1 improves on the MK2 edition, but I doubt it will be noticeable. It will however be the first good edition without PAL speedup, and I guess that's a good thing. I don't usually notice, but correct speed is better than incorrect speed.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Evenreven wrote:Here is a review of the MK2/CinemaClub version.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... hwayr4.htm

I don't think the film looked WOW in the cinema either. It looked good enough, kinda like the DVD does. But that heavily tinted and oft-times unnatural picture style was never my thing (even though it works well for this film). It'll be interesting to see if the Lynch-approved R1 improves on the MK2 edition, but I doubt it will be noticeable. It will however be the first good edition without PAL speedup, and I guess that's a good thing. I don't usually notice, but correct speed is better than incorrect speed.
You know fer sho that DKL has approved the DVD?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

The new R1 one? Fo' shizzle.

No, seriously, I think so, but I'm not 100 percent certain. I do know that Lynch supervised a transfer years ago, but the Robert Blake trial has halted the release for years. It would surprise me very much if this is not that approved transfer. I think John Neff was involved too, probably mixing the soundtrack (but don't quote me on this).

The MK2 was not approved, but it's obviously a very good release all the same. And the MK2 of FWWM is probably a better release than the DL-sanctioned New Line edition. They know their stuff. Until the moment I see a screenshot showing me a significantly better image, I won't bother with this release at all.

(PS: The CinemaClub R2 edition is a straight copy of the MK2 edition.)
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Evenreven wrote: The MK2 was not approved, but it's obviously a very good release all the same. And the MK2 of FWWM is probably a better release than the DL-sanctioned New Line edition. They know their stuff. Until the moment I see a screenshot showing me a significantly better image, I won't bother with this release at all.

I'd recommend everyone who doesn't own the MK2 version of Lost highway yet to get it. In my opinion it's really great.

I'm not sure Evenreven if you can help me out but since you mentioned the different versions of FWWM maybe you can answer the question that I have. Right now I only own the very weak german version of FWWM on dvd with a ridiculous looking dvd cover and no extras inluded. Well my question is do you know if there is a difference between the extras on the MK2 and the the New Line edition of FWWM ? I've read that both the MK2 and the New line edition have a making of or some other kind of documentary on it but I don't know if it's the same. So if you know something about it please let me know because I need to get another version of this dvd soon.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Evenreven wrote:The new R1 one? Fo' shizzle.

No, seriously, I think so, but I'm not 100 percent certain. I do know that Lynch supervised a transfer years ago, but the Robert Blake trial has halted the release for years. It would surprise me very much if this is not that approved transfer. I think John Neff was involved too, probably mixing the soundtrack (but don't quote me on this).

The MK2 was not approved, but it's obviously a very good release all the same. And the MK2 of FWWM is probably a better release than the DL-sanctioned New Line edition. They know their stuff. Until the moment I see a screenshot showing me a significantly better image, I won't bother with this release at all.

You may want to check this out:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564

The screenshots of the MK2 edition are wonderful, but I always feel more supportive to DKL when buying his approvals. Also I get to watch the film as he wanted me to watch it.
I just own a Scandinavian edtion of Lost Highway, and the picture quality ain't too good - I wouldn't say awful, but it's been a few years since I've watched it now as I'm in lack of a good edition.

By the way, seems kind of silly writing to you in English, but I'll guess it would be unfair writing in "norsk" on this forum :lol
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Mb3 wrote:
Evenreven wrote: The MK2 was not approved, but it's obviously a very good release all the same. And the MK2 of FWWM is probably a better release than the DL-sanctioned New Line edition. They know their stuff. Until the moment I see a screenshot showing me a significantly better image, I won't bother with this release at all.

I'd recommend everyone who doesn't own the MK2 version of Lost highway yet to get it. In my opinion it's really great.

I'm not sure Evenreven if you can help me out but since you mentioned the different versions of FWWM maybe you can answer the question that I have. Right now I only own the very weak german version of FWWM on dvd with a ridiculous looking dvd cover and no extras inluded. Well my question is do you know if there is a difference between the extras on the MK2 and the the New Line edition of FWWM ? I've read that both the MK2 and the New line edition have a making of or some other kind of documentary on it but I don't know if it's the same. So if you know something about it please let me know because I need to get another version of this dvd soon.
I don't have the actual MK2 version. I only have the Scandinavian Paramount/MK2 version without the bonus material (but the same main feature audio and video). But from what I'm told, the bonus material is different on R1 and R2. The documentary on the New Line release has been widely criticised for being edited in an annoying way. I don't know anything about the MK2 version except that it originally came in a really lavish package.

What's interesting is that the sound on the MK2 version matches the theatrical version, while the New Line version does not. I'm not sure what the big difference is, but it seems to me that the DL stamp of approval doesn't really matter if the audio is audibly changed. The picture on the New Line version might be technically better than MK2 but it's visibly zoomed and the colours are cold and blue-ish (not how I remember it from the cinema, although the print could have been over-saturated, I guess). Check it out: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompar ... withme.htm
(Please note that DVDbeaver are mistaken when they say the Partyland sequence is only subbed when French subs are chosen. English subs for this scene are on by default. Same with the Red Room scenes. I have a hard time thinking Paramount made this subtitle track only for Scandinavia without MK2 knowing.)
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Christian1989 wrote:
Evenreven wrote:The new R1 one? Fo' shizzle.

You may want to check this out:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564

The screenshots of the MK2 edition are wonderful, but I always feel more supportive to DKL when buying his approvals. Also I get to watch the film as he wanted me to watch it.
I just own a Scandinavian edtion of Lost Highway, and the picture quality ain't too good - I wouldn't say awful, but it's been a few years since I've watched it now as I'm in lack of a good edition.

By the way, seems kind of silly writing to you in English, but I'll guess it would be unfair writing in "norsk" on this forum :lol
Oh, so it does use an approved transfer. Then I think that's close enough. The new release might still trump it, though. Maybe the compression will be better with the passing of time.

PS: I had forgotten about that thread. So thanks! So many treasures if you only use the search button. :)
PPS: Norsk blir litt usolidarisk her. Men det føles litt merkelig, ja.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Thanks a lot Evenreven for taking the time to respond to my question. Even though you don't own the dvd versions I was asking you about your informations were still helpfull to me. And I think you're right about the subtitles because in the two scenes that you mentioned the english subtitles are also on by default in the german version that I own.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I guess that leaves the question: is the French MK2 edition worth picking up for the extras alone? I have no idea, but maybe someone else would care to chime in?

(I would definitely not buy the New Line version since people seem to hate the documentary and because the audio is wrong. I would wait for the new New Line version with deleted scenes that's coming out in 2037 :))
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Yes you're right I also hope that someone else might help us out and give us some exact informations about the extras on the French MK2 edition. Thanks again for your help Even because of your informations about the New line version I'll definetly stay away from it. But why not wait three more years for the new release of the New line dvd with the deleted scenes because in 2040 I'll turn 60 and then I'd already know what my friends could get me as a present for this special occasion.