Lost Highway set in the same world as Twin Peaks?

Discussion of Lost Highway

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Medard

Lost Highway set in the same world as Twin Peaks?

Post by Medard »

Browsing trough Wikipedia I stumbeld upon this:
Lynch has also stated that Twin Peaks and Lost Highway take place in the same world.
It's been a while since I've seen Lost Highway, but it's never occored to me that Twin Peaks and Lost Highway where connected.
Has anyone else noticed any connection between the two?
goodguyseatpie

Post by goodguyseatpie »

I think folks could probably stretch some similarities and common motifs, but I remain unconvinced.

Wikipedia is famous for ungrounded assertions. I'd like to see the original source of the Lynch quote. Wikipedia doesn't mention when or in what interview Lynch said they are in the same world.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

I've also heard of a connection between TP and Mulholland Dr. Interesting if true.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

The only connection I see in all three, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, is the state of minds of the characters that commit murder. They all kill someone they love, but can't have. They all retreat into a different state of mind to cope with what they have done. Leyland into a split personality, Fred into a Psychogenic Fugue and Diane into a dream. They also all come to realize the truth in the end. Maybe this could be seen as the same world? The world of the mind?
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

If you go with mind, maybe we may as well go with Self, or even some ethereal plane. Some higher place where we all connect.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

sloclub wrote:If you go with mind, maybe we may as well go with Self, or even some ethereal plane. Some higher place where we all connect.
That is not what I mean, the connection I am suggesting is that all three deal with dual states, doppelgangers, split states of mind, call it what you will. Not that the characters actually meet up in some ethereal plane, or any where else. The world I mean is the personal one that their characters enter, in some cases by mental stress or by supernatural means. They experience a delusional world (sometimes of escape), this is what is common in all three, not that they connect in any way or live on the same street or whatever.

Diane/Betty and Fred/Pete are obvious. In Twin Peaks lots of characters experience dual states of mind/personalty . Leland and Coop/ Bob, Agent Denis/Denise as a man dressing as a woman, Ben Horne/General Lee, Nadine reverting to childhood, Albert Rosenfeld from nasty to nice, Laura's two lives, Jacobi's different coloured specs show a split down the middle, even the title Twin Peaks shows duplicity, etc.etc. the list goes on. The common thread is the duality of the characters personalities and/or mental states.
Si

silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

I think the link between Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr., and Twin Peaks is the fact that all of them deal with the paranormal or at least can be interpretted that way. You could easily make the assumption that the paranormal forces at work in those movies all come from the same place.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

silenttwn wrote: You could easily make the assumption that the paranormal forces at work in those movies all come from the same place.
Yes, there is that aspect to it. All three have strange characters from another dimension/place in them that seem to be running things in the background.
'The man from another place' in TP, 'The mystery man' in LH and the bum behind Winkies in MD
Si

Myelin

Post by Myelin »

Something fun that just struck me was from the diner scene in Mulholland Drive. First we have two guys one younger than the other talking about I cant remember. But, after they both leave, the camera focuses on their breakfast 2 eggs sunny side up, bacon "cremated" or very badly burned and
O.J. Now this was very familiar lol. Coop's breakfast in Twin Peaks.
I know the movie is a hell of a lot deeper than my lame analysis, but this scene just hit me, and I thought, that has to be an homage to Coop. Thats what I remember thinking when I first saw it in the cinema.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

goodguyseatpie wrote:I think folks could probably stretch some similarities and common motifs, but I remain unconvinced.

Wikipedia is famous for ungrounded assertions. I'd like to see the original source of the Lynch quote. Wikipedia doesn't mention when or in what interview Lynch said they are in the same world.
If I'm not mistaken I believe I first read it in the book The Complete Lynch.
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Re: Lost Highway set in the same world as Twin Peaks?

Post by Kiddo »

Wikipedia is hardly a trustworthy source.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Uh, did you read the post directly above yours? :)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Dr. Jacoby
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dr. Jacoby »

Just watched Lost Highway last night for the first time in about 10 years. I noticed the mention of "garland" as well as "sycamore" at some point in the film. I also really liked the red curtains nearly identical to those in the black lodge.
The word linkage reminds me of sausages, didn't care much for the links... prefered the patties.
Swim to Heaven

Post by Swim to Heaven »

Dr. Jacoby wrote:Just watched Lost Highway last night for the first time in about 10 years. I noticed the mention of "garland" as well as "sycamore" at some point in the film. I also really liked the red curtains nearly identical to those in the black lodge.
The curtains in Silencio also look the same. :)
EZamor

Post by EZamor »

mark frost has stated that what became "mulholland dr." was originally an idea for a "twin peaks" sequel:

Mark Frost: "[Mulholland Dr.] started as a conversation David and I were having about a sequel to Twin Peaks. We wanted to take the Audrey Horn character, played by Cheryl, to Hollywood. I proposed Mulholland Drive, which I lived on, as a title. He sold it as a pilot to ABC and then convinced the French that if he shot 45 more minutes, he could make something out of it. I haven't seen it. I heard it was a mess. I knew that the pilot was a mess."

btw, this quote is from a 2002 interview. the full transcript is available here:
http://www.lukeford.net/profiles/profil ... _frost.htm

david lynch himself has alluded to a MH/TP connection, but in a much more vague way (is he ever very specific?).

David Lynch: "I got the idea for 'Mulholland Drive' when I was working on 'Twin Peaks'."