Blue Velvet 2011 Blu-ray Release with Deleted Scenes

Discussion of Blue Velvet

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Re: Blue Velvet 2011 Blu-ray Release with Deleted Scenes

Post by mjwilson »

cubist wrote:How strange... this is the single and only blu-ray that my player will not play, wonder what is going on, see it first gives me a message suggesting that the blu-ray player needs an upgrade then proceeds to play the film fine. But the menu and therefore all other features are inaccessible. I'll report back on what happens with the french Blu-ray...
Yes, it's one of the annoying features of Blu Ray that sometimes you need to upgrade your player firmware. In my (limited) experience it's a fairly straightforward experience, assuming you have access to a computer + internet, but it's irritating that it's necessary.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

mjwilson wrote:
cubist wrote:How strange... this is the single and only blu-ray that my player will not play, wonder what is going on, see it first gives me a message suggesting that the blu-ray player needs an upgrade then proceeds to play the film fine. But the menu and therefore all other features are inaccessible. I'll report back on what happens with the french Blu-ray...
Yes, it's one of the annoying features of Blu Ray that sometimes you need to upgrade your player firmware. In my (limited) experience it's a fairly straightforward experience, assuming you have access to a computer + internet, but it's irritating that it's necessary.
So you have had blu-rays that wouldn't play until you upgraded the firmware? I'm new to blu-ray and my player is region free for DVDs. What concerns me is that this upgrade will mess all that up - I don't reallly understand the technology! Meantime I've ordered another copy of blue velvet via France which will also probably not play!
mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Post by mjwilson »

cubist wrote:
mjwilson wrote:
So you have had blu-rays that wouldn't play until you upgraded the firmware?
Yes. I don't know if they added new features or just changed the encryption but it does happen.
I'm new to blu-ray and my player is region free for DVDs. What concerns me is that this upgrade will mess all that up - I don't reallly understand the technology!
Me neither! Google around for your player model number - when I upgraded the firmware it didn't affect my DVD multi-region status.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

Thanks for your advice it is much appreciated, I'll let you know how it goes!!
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

Heh! Well problem solved! The problem was the guy in the chair and not the BluRay player!! What I didn't factor in was that it was a disk created by Lynch so it works in an odd way! Never before have I had a DVD or BluRay which delivers a No Access sign when you press the button on your remote for the disc menu and instead delivers a pop up menu via the Up Arrow button, whilst the movie is actually playing!! And i have hgundreds of DVDs and a dozen Blurays.

The important thing is that at last I sdaw the newly discovered screnes and there are many classic Lynchian moments. My favorite scene is the one in the Slow Club with the dog eating its dinner on stage followed by the terrible comedian and his backing band. One of the funniest scenes I've ever seen by Lynch or indeed anyone else, I was rolling on the floor!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Has the bluray with the deleted scenes been released in the US?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:Has the bluray with the deleted scenes been released in the US?
Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Velvet-Blu-r ... lue+velvet
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

This is now out in the UK as an Amazon exclusive. I stumbled on it by mistake - it's not been highly publicised. I got my copy the other day but don't know when I'll get round to watching it.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Murray wrote:This is now out in the UK as an Amazon exclusive. I stumbled on it by mistake - it's not been highly publicised. I got my copy the other day but don't know when I'll get round to watching it.
Thanks for the info. Had no idea it was available. Now on my Christmas list! :)
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

So I am finally upgrading all my Lynch DVD's to Blu-ray. Is this version of Blue Velvet the best one out there? This is the one I should get?
Thanks!
-23-
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

marchug wrote:So I am finally upgrading all my Lynch DVD's to Blu-ray. Is this version of Blue Velvet the best one out there? This is the one I should get?
Thanks!
Yep!
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
marchug wrote:So I am finally upgrading all my Lynch DVD's to Blu-ray. Is this version of Blue Velvet the best one out there? This is the one I should get?
Thanks!
Yep!
Thanks Mr Reindeer! Somehow I am just seeing this now.
-23-