Blue Velvet (Criterion)

Discussion of Blue Velvet

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Blue Velvet (Criterion)

Post by Jerry Horne »

5/28/19

New 4K digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray, both supervised by director David Lynch

Alternate original stereo soundtrack

“Blue Velvet” Revisited, a feature-length meditation on the making of the film by Peter Braatz, filmed on-set during the production

The Lost Footage, fifty-one minutes of deleted scenes and alternate takes assembled by Lynch

Mysteries of Love, a seventy-minute documentary from 2002 on the making of the film

Trailer & More!

https://www.criterion.com/films/29144-b ... 1-64244739
Attachments
nsKgsPFKsXYHSq1dakh5q0P2MUwFel_large.jpg
nsKgsPFKsXYHSq1dakh5q0P2MUwFel_large.jpg (343.03 KiB) Viewed 15266 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Blue Velvet (Criterion)

Post by IcedOver »

Okay, but I'm not sure how much better it could look than the BD already out. They should release his four movies that don't have American BDs.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:Okay, but I'm not sure how much better it could look than the BD already out. They should release his four movies that don't have American BDs.
I thought the same thing, just as I did when Criterion announced FWWM. But I am glad to finally get a release of the Braatz documentary!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
IcedOver wrote:Okay, but I'm not sure how much better it could look than the BD already out. They should release his four movies that don't have American BDs.
I thought the same thing, just as I did when Criterion announced FWWM. But I am glad to finally get a release of the Braatz documentary!
Agreed. That's the main draw here.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I'm dying for a Lost Highway release. It's insane that it and Straight Story have no official releases since their bare-bones dvds...

On the bright side, the MGM bluray is a sort of odd man out in my collection. I dislike that it plays the movie right off the bat, and the packaging is very slight.

Also, I think it used the same print source as was used for their special edition DVDs. I believe I've seen others compare for instance that the deleted scenes look crisper because they were scanned more recently, with newer tech. So, it will be nice to have a much better archival-quality scan, and have it be much less weird that the deleted scenes aren't in better quality than the film itself.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

AXX°N N. wrote: I'm dying for a Lost Highway release. It's insane that it and Straight Story have no official releases since their bare-bones dvds..
Yeah, if they're going to give it a transfer that is made for BD, that's probably worthwhile.

"Elephant Man" and "IE" also don't have U.S. BDs. The latter will probably come through Criterion, but the former probably not because it's a very studio film. "Straight Story" continues to be disrespected by Disney. They barely released it theatrically and haven't released it on BD. I wonder why they even picked up the rights to that beautiful movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Shout Factory did "Lost Highway". They do a lot of Universal movies, and I believe "Wild", which they put out, is currently a Universal property, as is "LH". They're as good as Criterion.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

The advantage with Criterion is they can do fancy-schmancy new scans. The scan for the Wild at Heart BR by Shout is, I believe, the same scan as the Universal special edition DVD release, similar to Universal's last BV BR being the same scan as their most recent DVD release. At least Inland Empire had a great Lynch-produced DVD set, and Elephant Man a good release with extras (plus even more in the Lime Green set). I have no idea what the prospects are for anyone being able to negotiate the rights for Straight Story back from Disney, but I do know they're notoriously high sellers. There's probably better chance for On the Air or Hotel Room, given the fact that HBO & ABC might be willing to actually release themselves.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.