DVD releases

Discussion of Blue Velvet

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

DVD releases

Post by Pete Martell »

There is the Castle Home Video UK edition which is completely worthless,except for the Dennis Hopper interview.In 2002 we saw two new DVDs:the MGM release in Region 1 and the other MGM one in Region 2 & 4.These share the same extras but the R1 has superior image.Finally,in 2004 there are two more releases in Region 2:a crappy barebones release from Prism Leisure (maybe the previous MGM had gone OOP by then,but this isn't an excuse for such an awful DVD) and a 2-disc with a new documentary from Sanctuary Visual Entertainment.I already own the MGM R2 release and i wondered if someone owns the Sanctuary release and can comment on its picture quality and the Strange Desires documentary.
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Re: DVD releases

Post by DigitalGhost »

The Sanctuary DVD's fantastic. It looks beautiful and the Strange Desires and Moving Pictures featurettes are well worth owning. It's been deleted for a while now along with the Sanctuary 2-disc edition of Dune, which is excellent despite having no involvement from DL.

There were actually two Castle Blue Velvet DVDs released. The first was pan-and-scan and didn't include any special features and that was replaced with a second attempt which included the Dennis Hopper interview and a rubbish booklet. The Prism DVD's a budget release with a RRP of £5.99 and I didn't bother buying it.

Both Sanctuary DVDs received excellent reviews in UK film and DVD magazines but reviewers did point out the US disc includes a better documentary.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks for the information. I'm glad there's somebody out there still thinking about Blue Velvet.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
mashedinplastic

Post by mashedinplastic »

Thanks for the info, Digital Ghost. You've answered the question I was going to ask. The Blue Velvet DVD I currently have is just dreadful and completely spoils the movie. I'm going to get hold of the Sanctuary one now (in stock on Amazon UK) and hopefully that will be a lot better.

Many thanks
Gavin
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

I rather like my MGM copy. Region 1. 8)