Shout Factory Collector's Edition Blu-ray out May 22, 2018

Discussion of Wild at Heart

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Shout Factory Collector's Edition Blu-ray out May 22, 2018

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

marchug wrote:Also - does anyone know why the deleted/extended scenes start at 9-11? Where are 1-8?
The numbers correspond to the scene numbers in the script. Scenes 1-8 are in the film proper (or else were never shot).
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
marchug wrote:Also - does anyone know why the deleted/extended scenes start at 9-11? Where are 1-8?
The numbers correspond to the scene numbers in the script. Scenes 1-8 are in the film proper (or else were never shot).
Huh. That makes sense. I guess I am thinking about various things I've read where an early cut started off with a few scenes of varying violence. An angry dog barking in slow motion; some young boys hitting a wasp nest with sticks; a motorcycle accident. Man, I wish I could remember where I read that.
Thanks Mr Reindeer!
-23-
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

marchug wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Huh. That makes sense. I guess I am thinking about various things I've read where an early cut started off with a few scenes of varying violence. An angry dog barking in slow motion; some young boys hitting a wasp nest with sticks; a motorcycle accident. Man, I wish I could remember where I read that.
Thanks Mr Reindeer!
Yes, that stuff makes up the first few scenes in the script. It was meant as a sort of mood piece to show the hellishness of modern life (sort of the opposite of the BV intro), but DKL says in (I think) the Rodley book that he never actually shot that stuff for budgetary reasons.

There is definitely some material that was shot missing from the deleted scenes, though, particularly the notorious Johnny Farragut torture scene, which was apparently already edited before whatever source was used for the deleted scenes (apparently a workprint DKL found in his garage). That footage may be lost for good.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

For some reason I don't have much of a desire to watch the deleted scenes of this or "BV". While I want to watch The Missing Pieces, and own the set, I haven't watched them. "BV" in particular is so tight as is that I don't want another perspective. "Wild" has some flaws including in editing, but watching more scenes would make me wonder if the film would have benefited with them. Plus, does anyone know why so much was cut from that? Was it the same two-hour contractual obligation?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:For some reason I don't have much of a desire to watch the deleted scenes of this or "BV". While I want to watch The Missing Pieces, and own the set, I haven't watched them. "BV" in particular is so tight as is that I don't want another perspective. "Wild" has some flaws including in editing, but watching more scenes would make me wonder if the film would have benefited with them. Plus, does anyone know why so much was cut from that? Was it the same two-hour contractual obligation?
IMO, W@H would have been a much stronger work with a lot of the deleted material reinstated. It’s meant to be a sprawling road movie, but so much of the released version is oddly rushed (the opening scenes, the fact that we barely spend any time in New Orleans). The deleted scenes add a lot, and the interactions between Reggie and Johnnie Farragut that were cut are among my favorite material shot for the film.

On the other hand, BV is a perfect film as released. The cut material is mostly interesting and I’m so grateful to have it as supplemental material, but the film would have been weaker if it were included in the final cut.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
IMO, W@H would have been a much stronger work with a lot of the deleted material reinstated. It’s meant to be a sprawling road movie, but so much of the released version is oddly rushed (the opening scenes, the fact that we barely spend any time in New Orleans). The deleted scenes add a lot, and the interactions between Reggie and Johnnie Farragut that were cut are among my favorite material shot for the film.
So why was so much cut? He had final cut, but was he again mandated to deliver two hours? I'd say that movie suffers even more than "FWWM" from the feeling of absence of certain scenes or elements. We get one scene between Lula and Marietta before the road trip, so I assume more is in the deleted scenes.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
So why was so much cut? He had final cut, but was he again mandated to deliver two hours? I'd say that movie suffers even more than "FWWM" from the feeling of absence of certain scenes or elements. We get one scene between Lula and Marietta before the road trip, so I assume more is in the deleted scenes.
I think time restraints. I know BV and Lost Highway had mandatory runtimes he had to meet. I’m guessing the same was true on W@H.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The Barry Gifford interview is great. It’s also nice to finally have the uncensored version of Bobby Peru’s death. However, the deleted scenes look like they were just ripped from the Lime Green DVD. In addition to the scratches and discoloration from the original film source, they also have DVD pixelation (especially obvious on straight surfaces like the top of a windshield or the edge of a table—you get that ugly layering effect that you should never see on a Blu Ray). Very disappointing. The film itsef looks beautiful.