Is this board closing?

Details of site updates and a place to add feedback

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Re: Is this board closing?

Post by dugpa »

The board is not closing just yet, but it will close at some point. The polarizing effect of the Return really brought out the worst in people and the moderators of the board were not going to let a handful of jerks make this place an awful place to hang out. Then a line was crossed when one or more individuals made personal threats to me via email. That prompted me to permanently close registrations and step back from the board.

After a few of those, one questions whether spending so much personal time on a website dedicated to a 28 year old TV series is really worth it. Granted it became much more than that for a short while but that time is gone now.

The personal threats coupled with moving my family across the country in January of this year to start a new job made this forum a very low priority in my life.

Moderation is not something I have time for these days. Nor is dealing with new members who are here to take out their frustrations on the Return against other forum members.

At the moment this site is hosted by a longtime forum member, BookhouseBoyBOB and will remain here until July 2022 or as long as he is willing to continue hosting it, whichever comes first.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

It's sad to read that you received threats dugpa. I've always loved this forum and it's a shame that some people react like this because of some disagreements about a television series.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Sorry to hear you had those experiences, Dugpa, although not surprised given how prominent online threats and bullying are in our culture. I have tried to express periodically how grateful I am to you and the other mods for keeping this such a balanced, non-hostile environment for the most part, a rarity on the Internet. I’m even more grateful knowing that you personally took the brunt of some of the uglier behavior that didn’t make it onto the main boards. We can all certainly appreciate that other priorities take over as we mature. Thanks for keeping this place running for all these years! And thanks to BookHouseBoyBob for hosting and to the mods for keeping the peace, as long as this place stays around.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Sorry you had to deal with harrasment. Like mr reindeer said, it's too prevelant in internet culture and clearly the mods do a great job of keeping it civil here.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Sorry to hear about the harrassment. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it is hard to understand why someone would choose to harass the admin of a message board because they don't like a television show. Unfortunately they would probably take the closure of the board as an achievement.

Thanks to dugpa and BookhouseboyBob for starting and keeping it running as long as it lasts.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Thanks for the update Dugpa and I'm so sorry to hear you're having to deal with that.

And thanks to BookhouseBoyBOB for taking care of the hosting for a few more years. I love reading this insight here.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Thanks for the heads up. Totally understandable.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I had no idea this was happening. Horribly upset for dugpa and co.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

That's really sad.i know that the forum hosting is not free, so is there any way we can contribute towards it?
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I'd like to throw my hat in also as someone who really enjoys this board. I'm shocked at the apparent toxicity, but it makes sense, I was actually more active on reddit once the Return started airing because it seemed there was a lot of negativity here ... most of my posts here are from before and much much after it aired, since I don't quite feel that bad vibe anymore. Perhaps the board culture will return to its once healthy state.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
I'm the Muffin
Roadhouse Member

Post by I'm the Muffin »

It's absolutely awful that dugpa should have been subject to any kind of abuse. Ridiculous, and awful. The vibe at this forum since the airing has been remarkably negative, only recovering recently, and I can't help but feel that making this place a 'safe space' for people whose only interest was trying to make other people feel as bad about the new season as they do was a bewildering mistake. So much energy was wasted engaging them. So much energy was sucked up by them. It's a real shame - I love forums, and this one in particular has had so much great discussion and insight - but the twin peaks reddit has been so much more healthy in comparison. Not unreasoningly positive - just healthy. I'm still hopeful that this forum can rebuild in the future. I guess that's largely up to dugpa. And considering the circumstances, I would understand if he wasn't interested.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

I'm appalled, but sadly not surprised, to hear of threatening behaviour like that being aimed at you. To be honest, I haven't posted on here since September 2017, and have probably visited all of twice in the interim, as every single thread around the release of the Return, and shortly thereafter, seemed to devolve into arguments and really belligerent posting, and it was quite frankly laborious and depressing to trawl through.

Regardless, having a bit of a catch up on the board today seems to have restored in me some faith that the good do stay, and I am very sad indeed to hear of the imminent closure. I'm not sure what plans are, but if there's ever a whip-round to help fund some kind of hosting/upkeep, I'd be happy to donate.

All in all, it's good to be back. The cold, rainy weather instilled in me the urge to watch the pilot just recently, and it was fresh on my mind this morning, prompting me to come on here again, and I'm sure glad I did.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

This is really upsetting to hear about, this forum is a massive resource and archive. I really, really, really hate when forums like this are closed. It happened to the Burroughs forum a few months ago for financial reasons, I'm gonna really miss this place. :x

And I have a friend that wants to join and she is unable to register now :cry:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey guys, sorry everyone is upset. If you have a friend who wants to post maybe they could post as you?? No other ideas at this time...
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Against my better judgement, I’ve opened up new member registration until February 24th.