Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 13 - What story is that, Charlie? (SPOILERS)

Post by sycamore »

beyondthesea wrote:I feel very tired today, and I've partially racked my brains to try and figure out why farm boss walloped Mr. C before the arm wrestle. "This is for the Kindergarten teacher".

The one that Richard tried to kill, yes? So why wallop Mr. C.

I have a feeling someone is going to point out that I have clearly missed something. Please don't internet-bully me though.
i assumed renzo (the farm boss) was just being a sarcastic smartass. when mr c first arrived and muddy tells him about arm wrestling, mr c says, "what is this ... kindergarten? nursery school?" the knock in the back of the head was cheap payback for mr c's snide questions.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

KyleRickards wrote: Interesting how DougieCoop can't say I love you but can repeat other things... (happened twice now I think)
As far as I can recall he repeated "love you" to Janey-E when they were in bed.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

sycamore wrote:
beyondthesea wrote:I feel very tired today, and I've partially racked my brains to try and figure out why farm boss walloped Mr. C before the arm wrestle. "This is for the Kindergarten teacher".

The one that Richard tried to kill, yes? So why wallop Mr. C.

I have a feeling someone is going to point out that I have clearly missed something. Please don't internet-bully me though.
i assumed renzo (the farm boss) was just being a sarcastic smartass. when mr c first arrived and muddy tells him about arm wrestling, mr c says, "what is this ... kindergarten? nursery school?" the knock in the back of the head was cheap payback for mr c's snide questions.
Yeah, this was my take also. I'll have to relisten but I thought Renzo said 'this is from the Kindergarten teacher', a comeback for DoppelCoop's insult.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
sycamore
Roadhouse Member

Post by sycamore »

Deep Thought wrote:
Its a slippery slope you are on, as you could extend your argument to support the idea that Sarah's TV loop was just an editing mistake as well.
by the way ... in all my viewings of the boxing match on sarah's tv, i also watched the three mirrors above her sofa. nothing to report here. all reflections perfectly mimic her actions. what's strange is that this seems like a perfectly normal occurance to her - she doesn't try to change the channel or even bother attempting to fix the loop. she seems so resigned to it like she's almost given up.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Jasper wrote:
KyleRickards wrote: Interesting how DougieCoop can't say I love you but can repeat other things... (happened twice now I think)
As far as I can recall he repeated "love you" to Janey-E when they were in bed.
I'll have to go back but I'm sure he didn't as people were thinking that was a perfect time for him to relate something and he didn't (after Janey E says 'I love you ' after funtime!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

sycamore wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
Its a slippery slope you are on, as you could extend your argument to support the idea that Sarah's TV loop was just an editing mistake as well.
by the way ... in all my viewings of the boxing match on sarah's tv, i also watched the three mirrors above her sofa. nothing to report here. all reflections perfectly mimic her actions. what's strange is that this seems like a perfectly normal occurance to her - she doesn't try to change the channel or even bother attempting to fix the loop. she seems so resigned to it like she's almost given up.
One of the most disquieting scenes of the series so far for me. Just the darkened room, the overflowing ashtrays, the bottles, all the weird ornaments, the portrait photos, the half-eaten ear of corn, the tv playing to itself (or is that loop supposed to be subjective? who knows?) etc. Nothing spectacular happens, but the scenery just oozes malevolence.

Last edited by Novalis on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

tresojos wrote:
Snailhead wrote:Yeah, Sherilyn was great. I was unsure of her performance in part 12 on first viewing, but she was so so good in this one.

Here's a very strange thing I will share - despite the wretched characters they play, I find myself quite attracted to Richard Horne and Ray. What's wrong with me?!
lol. richard IS kinda hot.
I know Ray was a piece of crap, but I kinda love the way he kept calling Cooper fucker and stupid even after he witnessed ghost hoboes rescuing him.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

The scene with Sarah was such a heartbreaker. For me, the key moment is when she's emptied all the last of her liquor into the glass to take the last swig. Then she sits back, and just a few seconds later, moves forward to reach for her drink, only then realizing that she's just poured the very last of it and there's no more booze. Her face and body language in that moment (although such a small moment) were just a killer to watch. Poor Sarah.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I kinda liked Ray too. At a moment (the prison scene in which they were released and passed each other in a similar way Coop en Leland's dobbelgangers pass each other in the red room) I thought Ray would have an even more important part of the story.

This could in fact still happen since his demise to the RedRoom...
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

sycamore wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
I took this a different way. Obviously we can't know for certain, but to me, it felt like she was controlling the television herself.

The broadcast didn't look like something that should or would be playing on a modern television channel, for starters--but either way, I got the distinct impression that she was consciously rolling her favorite part back over and over again. Without needing to use a remote control.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Ed's first line: "Bobby, get your butt back over here, it's no good eatin' alone."
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Troubbble wrote:
sycamore wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
I took this a different way. Obviously we can't know for certain, but to me, it felt like she was controlling the television herself.

The broadcast didn't look like something that should or would be playing on a modern television channel, for starters--but either way, I got the distinct impression that she was consciously rolling her favorite part back over and over again. Without needing to use a remote control.
Interesting ideas. I like the ambiguity of not knowing what's really going on here. On the one hand Sarah seems very much stuck, trapped, subject to the control of memories, visions and forces far beyond her control; on the other hand there is definitely something in what you say. Sarah is very much in her domain, a kind of spider sat atop her web. I think she can be both.
Kinbote

Post by Kinbote »

The possibility of Audrey still being in a coma reminded me of another TP character who was also in a coma, Bob Lydecker. I have always wondered if the first police sketch, shown during the ending of the international pilot, was supposed to represent Bob Lydecker. I just watched that ending again and noticed that Charlie seems to bear quite a resemblance to that sketch. Could we be witnessing two comas intersecting? We live inside a dream.
bob.png.jpg
bob.png.jpg (20.87 KiB) Viewed 9361 times
Charlie.png
Charlie.png (888.72 KiB) Viewed 9361 times
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

baxter wrote:Regarding the remaining running time, we have approx. 2 Fire Walk With Mes left to go. Lots could happen!
That's how I've been measuring time as well. lol

A lot can happen in two hours...
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

re-watching last night

it seems like Charlie says "Enter Story 2"

sorry haven't read the posts lately - apologize if stated earlier.

but since she goes on about Little Girl Down the Lane, I believe that it's clearly a NEW storyline Charlie is going to take her down.

And it seems Audrey doesn't want to go there.

"end your story too" - doesn't make sense cause who else's story is he ending?