Episode 21 on DVD Framing Reveals mistakes with Screen caps.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Episode 21 on DVD Framing Reveals mistakes with Screen caps.

Post by dugpa »

For the scene where Andy pulls off his latex Glove and it sticks to the window, on the DVD, you can clearly see that the glove falls to the ground on the left side of the screen before they go to the cutaway shot of the glove on the window. I seem to remember on the VHS, they frames it so you wouldn't see the glove hit the floor.

Another scene in the same Episode is when they pan away from the vagrant with the chess piece in his mouth pointing to the chess board, when they pan away from the vagrant, on the left side of the screen, you can see him blink.

I dumped the VHS tapes a while back but would love if someone who has it could check this out for me.

I think either they screwed up on the framing of those scenes or they have always been there and only now in the clarity of the picture are they being highlighted.

-B

Last edited by dugpa on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alex_is_spread

Post by alex_is_spread »

I don't have the VHS tapes but I checked the DVDs that I had transferred from the Season 2 Laserdiscs and the framing is identical to the new Season 2 DVD Set. And you aren't crazy, I had never noticed the glove falling or the vagrant blink before either.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Well, I have the tapes, but at the moment nothing to check it out on. Are you sure that's the first time the guy with the chess piece blinked? I'd swear I've seen that on tape before, unless it's my memory playing tricks on me.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
pelley

It's the same

Post by pelley »

I just checked the VHS and it's more or less the same. You can see the glove drop on the left. Here's a screen shot from the VHS. Note the glove on the far left.

http://tinyurl.com/yv586y

Chris
Last edited by pelley on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelley

Post by pelley »

Here's the DVD version. It is slightly more zoomed out, I guess. But you can see the glove drop on both versions. I don't think it's a major issue.

http://tinyurl.com/37rpmw

The series looks great! This was worth the wait.

Chris
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

maybe it is just me, maybe its my tv, maybe its my dvd player but the video quality on s2 does not seem up to par with season 1. the picture does not seem as sharp and i notice quite a few spots now and then. regardless, its hard to believe these were even released and i'm glad to have them finally. i can actually see the freckles/acne/whatever on donna's forehead! amazing.

btw, i'm new here. i used to post on alt-tv-twin peaks back in 98/99 so its nice to be back on the scene.
ElGato

Post by ElGato »

maybe it is just me, maybe its my tv, maybe its my dvd player but the video quality on s2 does not seem up to par with season 1
While these are of course two different seasons, and the sources are obviously different, the one thing I did notice is...while S2 looks very good indeed, the additional episodes on each disc does reveal more compression anomalies...however...I am watching on a 92 in. screen which is very revealing...the only time I am aware of the additional "mosquito noise" is during the credits, with the green lettering over the water. No biggie.

I'm very, very pleased with this set so far. I'm up to Ep. 18.
Wood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wood »

Broadcast analog television (and CRT tube TVs) are notorious for overscanning as much as 10% along the border. Television directors compensate for that in their framing, and it sounds like the official VHS tapes and the new DVDs reveal more of the original frame along the borders. Sometimes on commentary tracks you'll hear directors use this excuse for the sudden appearance of boom mikes at the very top of the frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yApErvfwUo

Check out this VHS tape from the original broadcast of this scene. Source: my friend's crappy VCR (the same one that recorded all the TP Archive DVD footage) off a cable TV signal in New Hampshire. The image quality is poor, but you can see how overscanned it is: unlike the DVD, you can't see the glove drop.

-Steve
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

From that clip you can see just the corner of the glove but just barely. On the DVD it is much more apparent. I actually missed it on that clip the first time. If I knew how to convert to YouTube I would upload the DVD clip.

It would be nice if they were to QA these things and crop out things that obviously should be out of the frame before releasing.

Reminds me of the boom mic that you can see in all versions of FWWM in the Dear Meadow Sheriff station.
Last edited by dugpa on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pelley

Post by pelley »

Steve sent me the screen shot from the broadcast version, and I've posted it here:

http://tinyurl.com/26sxnp

Despite the overscan, you can still see a tiny glimpse of the glove in this shot.
Wood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wood »

dugpa, here's another one for your list:

Twin Peaks, Season Two, Disc One, Episode 8
Visible boom mic at 0:58:06
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Thanks. Will add it to my review. I thought I saw that one.

--update. Added screenshots.

-B
Wood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wood »

The DVD version of this clip is now on YouTube as well:

DVD Version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noytccYyQLM

Original US Broadcast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yApErvfwUo
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

Wood wrote:Broadcast analog television (and CRT tube TVs) are notorious for overscanning as much as 10% along the border. Television directors compensate for that in their framing, and it sounds like the official VHS tapes and the new DVDs reveal more of the original frame along the borders. Sometimes on commentary tracks you'll hear directors use this excuse for the sudden appearance of boom mikes at the very top of the frame.

-Steve
Yeah, I was gonna say that the older tube televisions would crop off the edges of the picture that's actually being broadcast. The case of the TV covers the edge of tube, not to mention that the tubes were no where near being perfect rectangles, so the image in the very corners would be lost.
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge