Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

referendum
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Post by referendum »

@writersblock A couple of nights? Let's do the full 18 hours - I'll buy the popcorn!!!
well, it's more like 16 hrs once you cut all the title sequences and most of the roadhouse bands and end credits.
A long weekend would do it.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

why would you cut the roadhouse bands?
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

why would you cut the roadhouse bands?
in order to edit it into one long movie rather than a TV series, you would need to do something like that with a different cut, or you would be just showing a TV series in a cinema. You could leave a couple in, sure, where they worked structurally. But any more than that you would lose any flow that you would gain from seeing it as one long thing. Maybe you could have one at the end of every four hour chunk or something. it depends how you chopped it up for the cinema. I would go for 2 X 4 hour chunks afternoon and evening, with a few hours gap for recovery and eating, on a Saturday and a Sunday. :)
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

eyeboogers wrote:
writersblock wrote:
docLEXfisti wrote:I really hope there is going to be a season 4. This is so unique on Television - again - and Showtime would be fools, damn fools if they wouldn't renew it. If only for the different approach or the beauty of it's art in it's visuals and sounds itself

Lynch has built such a powerful foundation with this, I am sure he has a lot more ideas and stories to tell... if Cooper really wakes up in EP17 or EP18 (or the last scene), there must be another season with a "regular" Cooper!
I am not actually that worried about Showtime renewing it - even with the people complaining about it - the uptake to their viewership has been exceptional.

My concern (and it shouldn't be a concern because we should respect their vision) - is that Frost and Lynch don't want a season 4
I would very much like a fourth season, but I am giving up hope at this point. Although live ratings isn't everything these days - they could not be any worse. This week the show dropped out of the top 150, not for the week but for sunday. Media outlets have re-routed their reviewers to write articles about Game of Thrones instead (notice that f.ex, the Vanity Fair lists about things you might have missed in each new episode stopped coming). Social media buzz is dying down, except amongst the very core fans. Long story short - the only thing T.P has going for it is the initial uptick in subscribers at Showtime. That means a lot, but with viewership dwindling so rapidly I doubt Showtime will gamble that all those people will stay onboard for more "Twin Peaks". Much less attract more people.

The only hail mary scenario I can envision is if streaming of the show suddenly explodes with late to the game binge viewers once the season is done.
You have to account for foreign ratings, new subscriptions, and home video. I'm not saying there will be a fourth season, only that I don't know how to predict this.

I'm fine with this being the end, if anything I'd like to see what a different hour long drama by Lynch and Frost looks like.
docLEXfisti
Roadhouse Member

Post by docLEXfisti »

I think Lynch will definitely want to make a SE4 if the chance arises - he had tears in his eyes after the premiere.

Fans love it. And this almost never happens when re-visiting an existing or older IP.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

dronerstone wrote:While I'd definitely watch a 4th Season in a couple of years, I'd still PREFER Lynch wrapping Season 3 in a way that assures that TP is over with FOREVER.

He has fulfilled the hopes and dreams of MANY (himself, but also all the other people involved and the fans, of course) and sometimes you should quit when things are BEST instead of going "hey, that wasn't bad! want more?"

At least that's what I believe.

Let's get this over with and then go home in peace. Can't wait to see the remaining parts. High stakes.
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. Hoping for a Fourth Season is really pushing it. I think this series is ten to twenty years ahead of its time (just my opinion), maybe even 50 years ahead of its time, so it's really pushing it to try for another season when mass audiences just aren't ready for it yet.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

mtwentz wrote:I feel sad that really crappy reality T.V. gets millions of viewers, but the audience for real art seems small enough to fill my living room. But I am just thankful we got these final 18- ain't gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.
I'm used to enjoying things that get zero ratings. Imagine the ratings Stalker or Ordet would get on Sunday night! :lol:
There's your roast beef and cheese.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Showtime CEO David Nevins expresses pessimism about the possibility of a fourth season:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ext-season
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Deep Thought wrote:
mtwentz wrote:I feel sad that really crappy reality T.V. gets millions of viewers, but the audience for real art seems small enough to fill my living room. But I am just thankful we got these final 18- ain't gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.
I'm used to enjoying things that get zero ratings. Imagine the ratings Stalker or Ordet would get on Sunday night! :lol:
That's pretty much the history of my T.V. viewing experience since college. None of the shows I have ever liked have lasted very long. However, I watch very little television. It has to be really different and unique to catch my attention.

I will have to look up Stalker and Ordet, I confess to never having heard of them.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote: I feel sad that really crappy reality T.V. gets millions of viewers, but the audience for real art seems small enough to fill my living room. But I am just thankful we got these final 18- ain't gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.
I know it's bad but, if you'd enhance the average human capability of comprehension of daring aesthetics and creativity and such; can you imagine the kind of stuff the group fitting your living room would be in to? Just think of it like this; your mentality is part of a dynamic that's actually pushing the limits of what can be achieved. In a broad sense, it's what has been going on forever. Thankfully, we are nowadays very lucky to have such widespread and readily available media allowing so many geniuses and ideas not to fall into eternal obscurity.
sewhite2000 wrote:Showtime CEO David Nevins expresses pessimism about the possibility of a fourth season:

Sad, but not at all unexpected...

Btw: how does it work with proceeds from DVD releases? I'm sure TP knocks a whole bunch of shows out of the field when it comes to those.
Last edited by Soolsma on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

sewhite2000 wrote:Showtime CEO David Nevins expresses pessimism about the possibility of a fourth season:

There's nothing of substance there really. A bit click baity
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

For what it's worth, that is actually a ten days old article. It doesn't contain any other news than was originally posted last week, when Nevins said Lynch was in Paris and they wouldn't talk until the series ended.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

eyeboogers wrote:I would very much like a fourth season, but I am giving up hope at this point. Although live ratings isn't everything these days - they could not be any worse. This week the show dropped out of the top 150, not for the week but for sunday. Media outlets have re-routed their reviewers to write articles about Game of Thrones instead (notice that f.ex, the Vanity Fair lists about things you might have missed in each new episode stopped coming). Social media buzz is dying down, except amongst the very core fans. Long story short - the only thing T.P has going for it is the initial uptick in subscribers at Showtime. That means a lot, but with viewership dwindling so rapidly I doubt Showtime will gamble that all those people will stay onboard for more "Twin Peaks". Much less attract more people.

The only hail mary scenario I can envision is if streaming of the show suddenly explodes with late to the game binge viewers once the season is done.
I don't think it's accurate to say that viewership is "dwindling so rapidly." The live (not streaming) cable numbers in millions for the U.S. are as follows:

Parts 1 & 2 — 0.506
Parts 3 & 4 — 0.195
Part 5 — 0.254
Part 6 — 0.270
Part 7 — 0.294
Part 8 — 0.246
Part 9 — 0.355
Part 10 — 0.267
Part 11 — 0.219
Part 12 — 0.240
Part 13 — 0.280
Part 14 — 0.253

They're not good live numbers, but they're relatively consistent.

The article that sewhite2000 posted includes the following:
Despite its hallowed place in the pop-cultural canon, The Return is a far weaker performer than Showtime hits like Shameless and Ray Donovan, Nevins acknowledged. Still, he’s “really happy” with its performance, claiming it “drove our business in a way that almost nothing else could.”

“It’s been interesting and maybe it’s a blinding glimpse of how Netflix looks at the world, but [it had] a palpable effect on subscribers even though its overall numbers are not as big as our biggest shows,” Nevins said, adding that the upswing has lasted “for multiple months now.”
So the subscribers who subscribed for Twin Peaks have remained subscribed.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

writersblock wrote:

You're welcome.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

sewhite2000 wrote:
writersblock wrote:

You're welcome.
It wasn't a criticism of you. More of Vanity Fair