Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by sylvia_north »

boske wrote:He may not care about Ed and Norma, fine. Maybe I do. Well I do. That does not make him less and me more credible. We are not trying to collect any brownie points here. I disagree with him, but so what. I need not agree with him on everything so that he gets to join my credible club.
Yeah I totally care about Ed and Norma, too, they had the best TMP and that they still weren't together a couple parts back was sad. However I can shift focus and see how it might be a case of 'too little too late' and it's also dumb that Nadine was the only thing in the way... for 25 years. *facepalm*
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

boske wrote:He may not care about Ed and Norma, fine. Maybe I do. Well I do. That does not make him less and me more credible. We are not trying to collect any brownie points here. I disagree with him, but so what. I need not agree with him on everything so that he gets to join my credible club.
It shows where he's coming from. Not caring about Ed and Norma while at the same time not caring of the new things shows that he decided not to like the series probably before it even began. I don't want to sound aggressive, trust me, but Ed and Norma (and Nadine) was one of the main subplots of the originals.
The question (are they together?) was one of the main questions. And he doesn't care? Again, all while he doesn't care about the new stuff?
I think this goes beyond not liking the series. It was a very disappointing thing to read honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

sylvia_north wrote:
Yeah I totally care about Ed and Norma, too, they had the best TMP and that they still weren't together a couple parts back was sad. However I can shift focus and see how it might be a case of 'too little too late' and it's also dumb that Nadine was the only thing in the way... for 25 years. *facepalm*
I read it that Ed made a vow when he married Nadine and he kept it beaus he's a just man.
The only time he did something was when Nadine wasn't really Nadine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Well, yes, Aqwell is venting some frustrations little bit I think, but the thread was created mainly for that. I mean, if I got a tattoo each time somebody thought Coop was waking up from the Dougie state, I'd look now like Robert De Niro did in Cape Fear. :D I mean, honestly, some people are honestly fed up with that. Cheers yaxomoxay, no hard feelings ;-)
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

yaxomoxay wrote: I read it that Ed made a vow when he married Nadine and he kept it. The only time he did something was when Nadine wasn't really Nadine.
Hm. It seemed more like deep abiding pity, to me. Because he never stopped boffing Norma, except for a minute when Hank made parole, so he's not so into that vow. Again I cite TMP, and pre high school Nadine drama between Ed and Norma "She's not a well woman" he says in the script, http://www.lynchnet.com/tp/tp05.html so they take a breather. SHE NEVER WAS. The timing is never right and Ed has a hard time communicating, Hawk tells us in TSHOTP, and Nadine has emotional issues that go back to high school and her own mother.. Nadine was too fragile for him to abandon, and Nadine admits she was a bullying jealous bitch- which also makes it silly that at some point he didn't say "enough is enough."
yaxomoxay wrote:while he doesn't care about the new stuff?
I think this goes beyond not liking the series. It was a very disappointing thing to read honestly.
Well, look at the thread you're in. Heat, kitchen etc.
We can discuss things without resorting telling one another we're trying not to like it.
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

yaxomoxay wrote:Here you lost all credibility. At this point you want to be disappointed, and you want to not care.
The rest of your point is just bitching about nothing.
Do I have to justify my feelings ? Very Well. If it is about Ed I was ok with him being a lonely bachelor, it felt real, sad but that's life. This episode told us that in fact he went back with Nadine after season 2 and stayed 25 more years with her. Now after she gave him back his freedom (so to speak) he goes right back at Norma hoping it's not too late... Well I think 25 years is a bit too late and he should have had the courage to ask for divorce a very long time ago. Ed is a coward and a selfish man, thinking Norma didn't move on. But hey, he's a lucky guy and they end up together again, yippee!

The convenience store scenes were ok I suppose? Not sure about Jeffries though...
As for the rest I agree with you, I'm bitching about nothing, because it's what it is for me, nothing, nada, zip.

Fortunately for you and others I don't plan to discuss how shitty that season is on any other thread than this one. And even if I wanted to, my english is not good enough to do so. But it seems some people have no problem with that in the other way round.
yaxomoxay wrote:I am so glad you're not the writer/director.
Nice to meet you too. :D
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

While we are talking Ed and Norma, it may be just the right moment to realize we have not yet received an explanation on why their story differs in TSOTP from that of the original show.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

boske wrote:While we are talking Ed and Norma, it may be just the right moment to realize we have not yet received an explanation on why their story differs in TSOTP from that of the original show.
Yeah, right? The hunting trip is a different story from the honeymoon trip. In multiverse theory, things can be slightly different in different realities, from the most subtle degree to something wildly different. Like Norma's maiden name. And lack of Annie.

But here Norma says she has family she wants to take care of :!: :!: Answers, please!
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Somebody said a few weeks ago that reading this thread is more interesting that watching the show. I just tried it this time around and you know what, they may have been right! :lol: So, please help me out here. It looks like it was not only Dale, but that Big Ed also got kicked out of the lodge 25 years later?!
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

boske wrote:if I got a tattoo each time somebody thought Coop was waking up from the Dougie state, I'd look now like Robert De Niro did in Cape Fear.
:lol: Another one for my funny quotes topic!

I have very mixed feelings about the Ed & Norma plot. In the new one, I mean. Yaxomaxay, you see, I don't think anyone could say that I, too, want to be disappointed and don't want to care. And yet, I must confess that I don't really care whether they get together in The Return or not. Understand me well: I'm talking: within The Return. The reason why I say this bitter thing is not that I don't care about Ed & Norma 25 years later; I was devastated when Ep.29 happened to them and I'd be happy for them just to know that 25 years later they made it. However, in The Return they don't exist as fully developed characters. It is again the thing I tried to express before in this thread or the other, can't remember: that the narrative structure of The Return doesn't allow for characters to grow. Grow on me is one thing but just develop as important characters in the story. Ed and Norma are are supreme example of this - what do we get about Norma? She has an issue of whether to use organic milk or not and is snowed under with paperwork, yeah... but nothing ever happens to or around her. There is this guy who looks and acts like that attorney whom she scared away by saying her husband's been sentenced for manslaughter in Season 2... he doesn't add much to the plot, does he? And Ed - turns up (finally, yay!) in Part -teen and for what? For very little, he is set in a scene where he has nothing to do and nothing to say and could as well not be there. OK, the final scene of the episode where he sits in loneliness was very good (actually I found it to be the best moment of an otherwise poor episode) but that's just a glimpse. So I can't blame anyone for not caring what they tell us about Ed and Norma in The Return because they never really told us anything important so why bother? The good news could as well be mentioned in a conversation between Truman and Hawk or wherever without Peggy Lipton and Everett McGill ever appearing on screen. That's bitter and I'm very sorry but that's how I see it.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
nimeoa
Roadhouse Member

Post by nimeoa »

I just can't believe we're frittering away the final hours of the show on side stories. Sure, these last 2 episodes have sort of been slightly more focused (kinda...) But this stuff with Ed and all the other secondary crap should have been wrapped up around episode 9 or 10.

It's also a bummer that this is the only topic I can go to online that isn't absolutely gushing over every episode. You can't have any real discussion unless it's praise. It's the same every week, too:

"That was the most brilliant hour of television I've ever seen."

"Kyle deserves an Emmy for his portrayal of Dougie taking a shit. Pure genius."
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

nimeoa wrote:I just can't believe we're frittering away the final hours of the show on side stories. Sure, these last 2 episodes have sort of been slightly more focused (kinda...) But this stuff with Ed and all the other secondary crap should have been wrapped up around episode 9 or 10.

It's also a bummer that this is the only topic I can go to online that isn't absolutely gushing over every episode. You can't have any real discussion unless it's praise. It's the same every week, too:

"That was the most brilliant hour of television I've ever seen."

"Kyle deserves an Emmy for his portrayal of Dougie taking a shit. Pure genius."
Because that's what people mean :roll:

Jeeez, you people.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

yaxomoxay wrote:It shows where he's coming from.
I didn't see that one, it gets better and better. Very classy. :lol:
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Metamorphia wrote: Because that's what people mean :roll:

Jeeez, you people.
Jeeez you people answering questions no one asked. The point was merely made that you can't have a discussion anywhere but here unless it's praise. Even here, you can't have a discussion without the peanut gallery saying they're sincere, we get it. You like it. Have all the cookies you want we don't begrudge you that, leave this one thread alone. JEEEEZZZ. :roll: :roll:
Aqwell wrote:I didn't see that one, it gets better and better. Very classy. :lol:
I imagined Jacoby shouting that with his finger up :lol:
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

boske wrote:Somebody said a few weeks ago that reading this thread is more interesting that watching the show. I just tried it this time around and you know what, they may have been right!
That's the best answer to whoever asked why read a topic with spoilers before watching!

Well, I did it the whole previous week as I only just watched Pt 14 last night. it didn't really spoil anything for me. I liked the episode quite a lot. I was a bit afraid it's gonna be very bad with Sarah and her face taking off but it wasn't, I actually enjoyed this scene... unlike the ghastly moment when Laura took off her face :x I was afraid about the Glove man but I liked his story, too. OK, maybe the impact of finding Naido naked in the woods would have been greater because her presence in Part 3 was a powerful one for me. OK, so it spoilt this one a little bit but nevertheless I liked the whole wood trip sequence and Andy at the movies was really good, too.

And now I'm doing almost the same - I mean, I had some sleeping problems (children had, not me) so I got up at two something in the morning and took a look. I saw Mr C driving at night and it was fine, the convenience store sequence well... wasn't overwhelming at all but I think I wanna watch it in better conditions before I say anything. Evolution of the percolator... :roll: Definitely better than the tree anyway. So then I saw Richard getting a punch and I couldn't help thinking: what was the whole sequence at the "farm" with armwrestling for? They could have met anywhere.
I saw, too, when Mr Todd got shot down and even more strongly I felt that all of his scenes were complete time wasters; it was a character that introduced nothing. I saw Chantal and Hutch devouring sandwiches, too, well another piece to their tarantino style. And! I saw Dougie looking at salt and pepper as if they were twin peaks... and then connecting to the socket. As usual this was the part which caught my attention the most.

I should actually have made a disclaimer before the previous post about Ed and Norma - I haven't seen much of them form the last episode. Just some bits with Norma dropping Ed for the organic milk guy and prior to that, some Ed/Nadine conversation from which I understood (but at that point I had to keep the volume very low) that Jacoby's golden shovels gave freedom to both of them, say. So my previous most may become invalid after I have watched Pt 15 properly, yet it remains valid for all I have seen so far.

Oh but wait wait wait - I also saw Margaret and later Hawk reporting the news to the others. Now that was a BIG moment, really.

Unfortunately I also saw Steven and the girl under the tree. Couldn't for the life of me understand what was the point of this scene.

At some point the child started crying again so I deliberately turned off the TV in order to watch it properly with the rest of my family tonight or tomorrow :)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB