Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

judasbooth
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by judasbooth »

laughingpinecone wrote:
judasbooth wrote: To say that Cooper would never have solved the Palmer case is a bit of a stretch. Saying that the murder was solved by Laura's spirit is an even bigger one. Remember, around the time Cooper finally apprehended Leland, the show was still (mostly) grounded in a sort of believable reality. Cooper's dream was just that, a dream. The various supernatural figures that assisted Coop could plausibly be explained as the hallucinations of a highly talented, yet wildly eccentric detective with an extremely vivid imagination. Hell, I dream some wild shit if I drink too much coffee... Point is, Leland would have been caught anyway. I mean, in the case of real-life murders of women, especially sexually-motivated ones, the first people the police haul in for questioning are the boyfriend and immediate male family members - uncle, father, etc. Once again, until episode 29 made it explicit, it was not possible to say with certainty that the the Red Room, LMFAP, Giant actually existed.
How do you go from the well-known "we weren't going to reveal the culprit" to "Leland would have been caught anyway"? They weren't going to reveal the culprit, so no pov character would've found out who the culprit was, I've done my fair share of leaps of logic but I really don't think this is one of them.
In the case of shows that care for that brand of realism - like Broadchurch, which imho is a wonderful example of a more grounded Twin Peaks - nobody would've dared to set up a funeral before all forensic tests were done, for starters. Peaks went for a more stylized "We all killed her" and stuck to its guns... and had the victim herself reveal the truth.
I'm well aware of Lynch's claims that he never wanted to reveal the culprit. To me, this always sounded like a post-facto excuse for the second series' plummeting ratings and general quality. It's hard to credit, really. Dale Cooper from the get-go was set up as the ultimate lawman, a detective with an near-supernatural crime solving skills. To say that he would never have been able to solve the case of a small town murder is a bit of a stretch. The reveal of Laura's killer did not wreck the show. What killed the show was general neglect and lack of quality control. Laura's murder was only a way in. If enough care had been taken to develop the other storylines, the viewers would have kept coming back for more. The Windom Earl plotline, foe instance, was a good idea, badly executed.

What fuelled the show all along was character, not the anticipated resolution of a murder mystery. Watching this week's instalment reminded me of that more than ever. Of course we still have the random violence, the sub-Tarantino food-and-banal-conversation scene, the abstract weirdness and the Roadhouse with its hipster-douchbag clientele and hipster bands, but the two saving graces of this episode were Catherine Coulson and Wendy Robie. The Log Lady's final scenes were heartbreaking. As for Wendy Robie, it's often forgotten just how good she was in the original series and how much pathos she brought to the role. More that just a kook, she played Nadine to perfection as a frightened, insecure, largely tragic character. Always second in her husband's affections to the glamorous blonde. Nadine's attempted suicide in S1 is incredibly sad. In this latest episode, she didn't disappoint. The resolution to the Ed and Norma story may have been rushed and a little trite, but Robie again played Nadine to perfection - an eccentric, a frightened little girl in a grown woman's body - but fundamentally a good person with a good heart who was finally able to come to terms with her life. The fact that characters like this were in short supply in this series makes me sad. Such a waste, such a missed opportunity.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Hey guys, have you ever heard of the words 'lighten up'? Enjoy it for what good you can get out of it?

We're 15 episodes in so only 3 more hours of Lynch and Frost not meeting your expectations. Time to relax and take what value you can out of it, IMHO.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

mtwentz wrote:
nimeoa wrote: It had a few decent moments, and mostly sucked.
I pretty much loved the whole episode, except I was underwhelmed by the Jeffries/Teapot. But can I really fault Lynch for that? Not really, since it was better than a Bowie recast.
Yeah, if they were going to keep him in the story, there was no solution that wasn't going to disappoint some portion of the fanbase. And I imagine at that point it was too late to write him completely out.
Welcome...to the third...place.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

MTWENTZ
Hey guys, have you ever heard of the words 'lighten up'? Enjoy it for what good you can get out of it?

We're 15 episodes in so only 3 more hours of Lynch and Frost not meeting your expectations. Time to relax and take what value you can out of it, IMHO.
I donut understand why people keep saying this to people who have criticisms. It is exactly what i said on a previous post, when my dad ( after a stroke ) lost the use of one leg, my mother would continually say, 'at least you can use the other one'. He did, after that. Every time she walked into the room he tried to trip her up.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Leo K
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leo K »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Leo K wrote:Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Well I am pretty much on my knees and kissing the ground as I think Special Agent Dale Cooper may be returning to the land of the living. Hallelujah! :D Maybe that's what the girl in the roadhouse was about to do when they cut away from her.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

mtwentz wrote:Hey guys, have you ever heard of the words 'lighten up'? Enjoy it for what good you can get out of it?

Would you like milk with that?
Attachments
bowie.jpg
bowie.jpg (22.05 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I think you're all (or is it y'all) missing the very point. Phillip Jeffries is now part of the Tin Machine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

nimeoa wrote:I just can't believe we're frittering away the final hours of the show on side stories. Sure, these last 2 episodes have sort of been slightly more focused (kinda...) But this stuff with Ed and all the other secondary crap should have been wrapped up around episode 9 or 10.

It's also a bummer that this is the only topic I can go to online that isn't absolutely gushing over every episode. You can't have any real discussion unless it's praise. It's the same every week, too:

"That was the most brilliant hour of television I've ever seen."

"Kyle deserves an Emmy for his portrayal of Dougie taking a shit. Pure genius."
That's pretty much Twin Peaks subreddit in a nutshell. The place is just littered with folks who believe that everything Lynch touches turns to gold and if you dare to criticise the show you get downvoted to oblivion. This is the only reasonable place left for this topic.

And also I'm dumbfounded by people who genuinely believe that Kyle's performance is so great. Not sure if they haven't seen actual great performance or are just easily amazed.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

referendum wrote:MTWENTZ

I donut understand why people keep saying this to people who have criticisms. It is exactly what i said on a previous post, when my dad ( after a stroke ) lost the use of one leg, my mother would continually say, 'at least you can use the other one'. He did, after that. Every time she walked into the room he tried to trip her up.
Hahahaha! Brilliant.

Mtwentz - not your finest comment. It's probably a step up from labeling any critics as 'haters', i.e a completely bland and meaningless comment that could be used to dismiss any and all criticism. Come on guy, you're better than that.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

mtwentz wrote:Hey guys, have you ever heard of the words 'lighten up'? Enjoy it for what good you can get out of it?

No offence, but why are you telling people how to feel ? Just leave the dissapointed group and their sentiments in peace.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:

No offence, but why are you telling people how to feel ? Just leave the dissapointed group and their sentiments in peace.
They never will, a few of us have said the same thing since the beginning. Not sure what the psychology of it is.
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:

Sent from my Lenovo A2020a40 using Tapatalk
"That's what I need, a clean place, reasonably priced."
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

Every episode feels like a sketch show, like the muppet show with special guests or something, in this case special guests who have cancelled at the last minute (zz top).