What tracks could make up a TP Volume 3 Soundtrack?

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Re: What tracks could make up a TP Volume 3 Soundtrack?

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Evenreven wrote:
coolspringsj wrote:Yes, I'd like the rest too, but personally I'd prefer a Badalamenti/Lynch rarities collection, featuring outtakes from Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Hotel Room, On the Air and Mulholland dr.

Releasing albums, even as downloads, costs money. Mixing, mastering, etc. You need to be able to sell quite a few for it to make sense from a business standpoint. The only way I can think of a way to sell this would be adding bonus tracks to the first soundtrack album and market it with a big sticker saying it's REMASTERED and EXPANDED and FEATURING UNRELEASED TRACKS! and with NEW PHOTOS. Or something. Those who didn't buy it the first time around might buy such a release, even if it would infuriate the fans who own the stuff already.

I do agree, though, that should there ever be a third soundtrack (or actually, fourth, counting FWWM), it should come out soon. They probably auditioned a lot of tracks that didn't make it, and maybe even mixed and readied them for release. So I'm all for some sort of release (as long as it's not iTunes).
Good ideas all, I'd buy the Remembrances and Double R/MT Wentz tracks in whatever format they were released, even as a bonus disc in a $$$ box set of everything I already had.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

Evenreven wrote:
coolspringsj wrote:Is it just me or does this make Lynch come off as pretentious? Why does he have such stubborn animosity towards the release of new Twin Peaks products? I don't get it at all.
Stubborn animosity? We just got the first wholly Lynch-approved DVD set. He has been willing to release deleted Fire Walk with Me deleted scenes and has even hand-picked 50 minutes worth of scenes. He masterminded the season two music release (which is still less than a year old), even to the extent of putting easter eggs with secret codes in it. Stubborn animosity, indeed. I don't even get what you mean by pretentious.

quote]

I don't understand why Lynch has to shut the door on the possibility just like that, especially with the small, yet passionate fanbase that we are. He doesn't have to do some mass production of the cd's and he knows it is a quality product that his most adoring fans are clamoring for. Possibility of making a profit + releasing a quality product of art + pleasing your fans = worth it to me.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I think a lot more than 50 fans would buy a further soundtrack! After all, 18 years after it's release, the original soundtrack is ranked #3452 in overall music sales at Amazon. That's even better than the #4398 that Vol.2 is at now. Vol. 2 flirted with the top 20 when it was released. Amazing for a television soundtrack. What they have to do (and what I've been hoping they would do) is release a box set of all remaining Twin Peaks tracks (even the ones previously released - no FWWM) and sequence them in chronological order. No editing or merging of the tracks, making sure to re-master the previously released stuff. There are TONS of songs still to be released. Also, release a remastered two disc version of FWWM. Original disc remastered and a bonus disc of all the remaining tracks. Then maybe Lynch can get on about someday maybe he would love to see the deleted scenes from FWWM released...
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:I think a lot more than 50 fans would buy a further soundtrack! After all, 18 years after it's release, the original soundtrack is ranked #3452 in overall music sales at Amazon. That's even better than the #4398 that Vol.2 is at now. Vol. 2 flirted with the top 20 when it was released. Amazing for a television soundtrack. What they have to do (and what I've been hoping they would do) is release a box set of all remaining Twin Peaks tracks (even the ones previously released - no FWWM) and sequence them in chronological order. No editing or merging of the tracks, making sure to re-master the previously released stuff. There are TONS of songs still to be released. Also, release a remastered two disc version of FWWM. Original disc remastered and a bonus disc of all the remaining tracks. Then maybe Lynch can get on about someday maybe he would love to see the deleted scenes from FWWM released...
Agreed!!! For Lynch to just dismiss it is quite sad. I can still hardly believe that a second CD came out after YEARS & YEARS of hoping for it... But there are still a handful of tracks that I would absolutely love to have.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

Does anyone have the technology and knowhow to make a CD of all of the unreleased TP tracks? It could be free and for private use only so no one is making money off of it and the TP fans could have this just for their own personal listening pleasure. I know this sounds potentially crazy, but is this actually possible?
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

coolspringsj wrote:Does anyone have the technology and knowhow to make a CD of all of the unreleased TP tracks? It could be free and for private use only so no one is making money off of it and the TP fans could have this just for their own personal listening pleasure. I know this sounds potentially crazy, but is this actually possible?
I suppose depending how the 5.1 mixes have been arranged it might be possible to extract certain bits from the DVDs, but that would mean the music being recorded cleanly onto their own seperate channels, with the speech/foley/etc on the remaining ones, which for a 6-channel set-up would be unlikely. I don't have the 5.1 mixes, so I couldn't say for sure if this would be possible. It might even be a further possibility that if in the 2.0 mixes the music was in stereo and the speech/foley/etc in mono (or vice versa) either the stereo-only or mono-only signals can be cancelled out, potentially leaving just music. I suspect this may be how they recorded the hidden piano track on the season two CD, given that there is still audible speech within this track. But the chances of this being the case are very slim. The only example I can think of to hand that this actually works with is Cannibal! The Musical - technically a student film at that.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I did a litlle digging in the Gold Box audio 5.1 soundtrack and some of the episodes have a good seprateing of the speach (central channel) with clean music R/L channels. But many episodes have a little of speach on the R/L channels (for example last episode). I based on European PAL edition and I have no idea how it's look on the Region 1 Edition - anyone can check it out?

(sorry for my english - I don't speak as good as I wish ;-)
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

And someone should post a Master List of unreleased TP tracks from the series and FWWM (only Lynch, Cruise, or Badalamenti tunes only). This list would probably cause me to drool.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I would love to do this but the main problem is how to come up with names for all the tracks?

I watched the Euro ending to the Pilot the other day and the music is so amazing! I'd kill for some of those clean tracks!
Last edited by Jerry Horne on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

Jerry Horne wrote:I would love to do this but the main problem is how to come up with names for all the tracks?

I watched the Euro ending to the Pilot the other day and the music is so amazing! I'd kill for some of that clean music!
If anyone could do it, it would be you, Jerry. You could just name the tracks that don't have names with some sort of reference to the scene they are played in. How neat would it be to look at a huge, comprehensive list of what is still out there? And you could edit the post as new tracks came to mind. I could start the list, I know a lot of them, but I am no expert.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

Remembrances
Norwegians
Double R Swing
Deer Meadow Shuffle
Americana
Dance of the Dream Man Slow Version
Drug Deal Blues slow version
Sycamore Trees Instrumental
Just You and I Instrumental
World Spins
Rockin' Back Inside My Heart
Ben Civil War Theme
JJ Wheeler Theme
Double R Country Theme
Aftermath of Maddy Body Discovery
Owl Cave Theme
Dark Mood Woods (standalone long version)
I'm Hurt Bad (standalone long version)
Shaking Hands Music Cue
Lodge Spirit Intervention Cue
Dick Tremayne Theme
Horror of BOB Vision Cue
The Swan Instrumental
Windom Earle Flute Theme
Sheriff Dept. Percussion Theme
Wind Blowing Sound Effect (Long)
Cooper and Annie Dance Theme
Ray Wise songs (Mares Eat Oats, Getting to Know You, Get Happy, etc.)
Invitation to Love Theme
Dr. Jacoby Hawaiian Theme
Bobby Saves Shelly from Leo Attack Aftermath Theme
Lana's Jazz Exotica
Fat Trout Trailer Park Theme
Miss Twin Peaks Theme
Leland's Funeral Reception Theme
Last edited by coolspringsj on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:30 am, edited 12 times in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

My plan is to list all the music to the series on my episode guide. I'll start once I reach the Pilot.

P.S. I really wish I knew Angelo's official names for all the unreleased tracks...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Coolspringsj - I'm lovin' your list! Check out my list on page 1 of this thread...
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

Jerry Horne wrote:Coolspringsj - I'm lovin' your list! Check out my list on page 1 of this thread...
Thanks!

I did. Some of my songs listed came from your thread. I'm sure there's more. I just listed ones I was familiar with how they went in my head.

At least this is a rough, rough draft to work with. It would be at least a long Double CD alone!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Once we get all the songs it would be cool to come up with a fantasy box set (oh what could have been) where we do the track listing and box art. I always envisioned a black lacquered box that would only open if you press certain buttons rather like: