Paradise, NV Appreciation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Paradise, NV Appreciation

Post by sylvia_north »

In the future, people will look back at the time capsule of Vegas left behind from Return like the familiar vintage views preserved in classic cinema like these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPo3G4IWuHM

DP Peter Deming also lent his talents and views of Vegas to Austin Powers International Man of Mystery and Goldmember, and of course worked with DKL on Mulholland Dr, Lost Highway and On the Air and on Inland Empire (as additional lighting tech.)

In old Vegas, the Griffin bar sign appears by the iconic neon Fremont Vegas martini glass.

While Dougie rides to meet the Mitchums, we see the various Strip shows and signage, which will evolve and fade from memory. Michael Jackson One and Britney Piece of Me are advertised in the Miracle Mile shopping area by Paris and Planet Hollywood, Cirque du Soleil O is at Bellagio. The electric ads on Aria promote Julian Serrano Steakhouse. We see the Trop, an oldie still standing, and past Excalibur with it's signs for Tournament of Kings and Thunder Down Under, and Luxor's large Criss Angel Mindfreak signage and pyramid.

Hutch and Chantal eat in an alley with the Stratosphere hotel's neon sign in deep background.

Like the helicopter shots of NYC, the aerials in episode 2, 4, 5 and 15 are stunning, glowing hazy and dreamy where this landscape is usually harsh. More shows and hotels are visible and each highlights a slightly different aspect or mood as the camera turns the strip around. Luxor's Sky Beam is foregrounded in one, and The Beatles Love at Mirage, or the blueish cast on the stratosphere, and the desert at dusk. *Other Paradise locations were California locations
Attachments
t1vegas52.png
t1vegas52.png (274.21 KiB) Viewed 11902 times
tvegas51.png
tvegas51.png (288.21 KiB) Viewed 11902 times
tvegas4.png
tvegas4.png (355.91 KiB) Viewed 11902 times
sm2.png
sm2.png (354.96 KiB) Viewed 11902 times
sm1.jpg
sm1.jpg (333.49 KiB) Viewed 11902 times
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Re: Paradise, NV Appreciation

Post by Major Briggs »

They do look nice, but I'm pretty sure they're mostly (if not all) stock footage, not shot by Lynch
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Major Briggs wrote:They do look nice, but I'm pretty sure they're mostly (if not all) stock footage, not shot by Lynch
Why would they use stock footage? They did shoot in Vegas and it's cheap to take a helicopter up over the strip- I've done it, and know of no-budget productions that have done it. You think they went on location just to get Dougie to the desert? I know the moon and the hawk flying were stock footage for the original show, but this is not a cut rate production. Weird and kinda insulting assumption. NYC definitely isn't. Too stylized. You've never seen NY and Vegas look the way it does in Return.

Desert scene - Mojave or Palm Springs http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4093826/locations
Everything else Nevada- here in LA https://la.curbed.com/maps/twin-peaks-d ... -locations
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Definitely stock footage smh
Attachments
tscreen_shot_2017-08-22_at_84410_am.png
tscreen_shot_2017-08-22_at_84410_am.png (422.5 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
tscreen_shot_2017-08-22_at_84436_am.png
tscreen_shot_2017-08-22_at_84436_am.png (200.33 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
tscreen_shot_2017-08-22_at_84424_am.png
tscreen_shot_2017-08-22_at_84424_am.png (399.31 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Sorry to break it to you, but it is Stock footage. Reliable Twitter users have found it pretty soon after it aired.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

sylvia_north wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:They do look nice, but I'm pretty sure they're mostly (if not all) stock footage, not shot by Lynch
Why would they use stock footage? They did shoot in Vegas and it's cheap to take a helicopter up over the strip- I've done it, and know of no-budget productions that have done it. You think they went on location just to get Dougie to the desert? I know the moon and the hawk flying were stock footage for the original show, but this is not a cut rate production. Weird and kinda insulting assumption. NYC definitely isn't. Too stylized. You've never seen NY and Vegas look the way it does in Return.

Desert scene - Mojave or Palm Springs http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4093826/locations
Everything else Nevada- here in LA https://la.curbed.com/maps/twin-peaks-d ... -locations
For the same reason they used for Diane's apartment, Buenos Aires, New York City, Montana, South Dakota, etc, etc.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Sylvia: Love this post, thank you for it. Stock footage or not, these Vegas shots are indeed a snapshot of a unique moment in time in an ever-changing city. The same sort of thing on a smaller scale: Sin City (no relation :lol: ) is visible on a Hollywood Blvd. movie theater marquee in INLAND EMPIRE when Nikki gets stabbed. I love being able to pinpoint when a scene takes place by these kinds of cues, as well as seeing unintentional shout-outs to more mainstream entertainments that DKL probably couldn't be less personally interested in.

I am also fascinated by the potential use of stock footage in TP:TR. I think DKL undeniably made some budgetary compromises in bringing this behemoth to the small screen, and that doesn't make the end result any less impressive, even if I'm disappointed that Vegas and NYC (allegedly) didn't actually get the Lynch/Deming treatment that LA got in MD. I'm not doubting Maj. Briggs, but I'd love if he could link to the Twitter posts he's talking about, or directly to the source of the footage. So far, the only confirmed "stock" footage I've seen referenced on this board is the airplane shot (where DKL added the strangely fluctuating window shadowing).

If they are indeed stock shots, the NYC and Vegas establishing shots ironically look more like the Deming/Lynch style I was expecting than almost anything else in TP:TR. Also, my girlfriend and I are lifelong NY residents, and we were both convinced that those overhead shots had CGI "sweetening." The lighting is impossibly soft and otherwordly, almost like a toy city. It really felt like a DKL vision of NYC, which made me so happy.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

They're beautiful. In some it looks to me like there has been some work done on the blue channel. All the more stunning for that.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Sylvia: Love this post, thank you for it. Stock footage or not, these Vegas shots are indeed a snapshot of a unique moment in time in an ever-changing city. The same sort of thing on a smaller scale: Sin City (no relation :lol: ) is visible on a Hollywood Blvd. movie theater marquee in INLAND EMPIRE when Nikki gets stabbed. I love being able to pinpoint when a scene takes place by these kinds of cues, as well as seeing unintentional shout-outs to more mainstream entertainments that DKL probably couldn't be less personally interested in.

I am also fascinated by the potential use of stock footage in TP:TR. I think DKL undeniably made some budgetary compromises in bringing this behemoth to the small screen, and that doesn't make the end result any less impressive, even if I'm disappointed that Vegas and NYC (allegedly) didn't actually get the Lynch/Deming treatment that LA got in MD. I'm not doubting Maj. Briggs, but I'd love if he could link to the Twitter posts he's talking about, or directly to the source of the footage. So far, the only confirmed "stock" footage I've seen referenced on this board is the airplane shot (where DKL added the strangely fluctuating window shadowing).

If they are indeed stock shots, the NYC and Vegas establishing shots ironically look more like the Deming/Lynch style I was expecting than almost anything else in TP:TR. Also, my girlfriend and I are lifelong NY residents, and we were both convinced that those overhead shots had CGI "sweetening." The lighting is impossibly soft and otherwordly, almost like a toy city. It really felt like a DKL vision of NYC, which made me so happy.
Search for Steven Miller, he's a huge fan and does some amazing research in this. He found the ones from Buenos Aires and the one from Diane's street. Sorry I'm unable to link you the exact tweets at the moment :)

About NYC, I've also heard some (our own Jerry Horne maybe? can't remember) theorizing that the Experiment's building is indeed CGI.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Vegas by way of Mulholland Dr is a good way to look at it. I'd never seen LA landscapes, the stark lights, brown hills, and alien palms, as beautiful, either, until Mulholland Dr. - even Bel Air and Beverly Hills have a pop-up resort ugly fakeness to them in reality. It's no wonder they never shot the LA beaches because they're full of garbage, homeless, unsightly bodies and yuppie condos.

I'll be watching the final episodes in Excalibur - I can't think of a more Twin Peaks 2017 place to do it.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Major Briggs wrote:For the same reason they used for Diane's apartment, Buenos Aires, New York City, Montana, South Dakota, etc, etc.
South Dakota exteriors were also California, http://www.mayfairpomona.com/community_odonovans.html is Mayfair Hotel, also local to CA. I don't know details about Montana. Maybe the motel briefly seen by the tracks before the diner scene was stock but could be second unit photography. Establishing shots aren't long lingering sweeping cinematographic shots to borrow from some stock archive like an amateur, and they're all vital for setting the stage, and artistic- not like insert shots in Twin Peaks 1&2.

I do remember that the plane was stock, from a commercial. That makes sense, not practical to shoot an airplane. I'd be shocked if they couldn't just shoot an apartment for Diane's. I"ll concede to Buenos Aires being stock because to my awareness they didn't shoot there. Could not find this guy's tweets.

EDIT: Ok I was wrong! https://twitter.com/samhowzit/status/884391409570263044 Add this one to the disappointed thread, lazy f*cks :lol: And here I thought I had something positive to say.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

sylvia_north wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:For the same reason they used for Diane's apartment, Buenos Aires, New York City, Montana, South Dakota, etc, etc.
South Dakota exteriors were also California, http://www.mayfairpomona.com/community_odonovans.html is Mayfair Hotel, also local to CA. I don't know details about Montana. Maybe the motel briefly seen by the tracks before the diner scene was stock but could be second unit photography. Establishing shots aren't long lingering sweeping cinematographic shots to borrow from some stock archive like an amateur, and they're all vital for setting the stage, and artistic- not like insert shots in Twin Peaks 1&2.

I do remember that the plane was stock, from a commercial. That makes sense, not practical to shoot an airplane. I'd be shocked if they couldn't just shoot an apartment for Diane's. I"ll concede to Buenos Aires being stock because to my awareness they didn't shoot there. Could not find this guy's tweets.

EDIT: Ok I was wrong! https://twitter.com/samhowzit/status/884391409570263044 Add this one to the disappointed thread, lazy f*cks :lol: And here I thought I had something positive to say.
Makes me wonder why they keep using the Great Northern night exterior shot from the original series when they did shoot in Snoqualmie. Was it really not practical to send someone to film Salish Lodge at night time?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Major Briggs wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:

Makes me wonder why they keep using the Great Northern night exterior shot from the original series when they did shoot in Snoqualmie. Was it really not practical to send someone to film Salish Lodge at night time?
Have we seen the Salish at all, even in the daytime? There was a behind-the-scenes shot of Deming shooting it, so they definitely got footage, but I can't recall a single new shot of the building. Definitely some idiosyncratic choices being made.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:

Have we seen the Salish at all, even in the daytime? There was a behind-the-scenes shot of Deming shooting it, so they definitely got footage, but I can't recall a single new shot of the building. Definitely some idiosyncratic choices being made.
We did see new footage in Part 1, when we first see Ben, Jerry and Beverly, but other than that, all old footage:(
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

I think this proves that you can slap Lynch's name on things and they instantly become more interesting.