Poll: Lynch's David Bowie/Jeffries Workaround

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

How well did Lynch handle the Jeffries storyline given the loss of David Bowie?

POOR- Jeffries should have been written out of the script or a better alternative found.
10%
AVERAGE- There were no good solutions to Lynch's dilemma and he did about as well as he could have
40%
EXCELLENT- The Jeffries teapot and the voiceover worked very well
34%
NEUTRAL or still undecided
16%

Total votes: 70
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Poll: Lynch's David Bowie/Jeffries Workaround

Post by mtwentz »

Cast your vote before the returns are counted...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Re: Poll: Lynch's David Bowie/Jeffries Workaround

Post by Novalis »

I would have accepted Tim Roth as (Bowie as) Jeffries.

I would have accepted a linen-suited silhouette, or a mist-shrouded figure in a vessel (guild-navigator style), appropriately voiced.

There are a lot of things I would have accepted before having to accept a kettle.

But now that Jeffries is a kettle, I want to know why. :shock:

EDIT: forgot to say, I voted neutral.
Last edited by Novalis on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I went with "average." I would honestly have much preferred if the teakettle sounded completely alien/distorted. The second-rate imitation of Bowie didn't work at all, and the overdubbed scenes from the original are a sadness.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I have to agree there, it's almost the voiceover that's worse than the tea kettle. No offense intended to the voiceover actor- not sure anyone could have pulled it off.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

It seems like they could have changed the Jeffries material to be Chet Desmond instead. Chris Isaak is still around and completely willing to work with DL again. I suppose the stuff about Judy and calling out Cooper will be important to the story. They could have had Chet Desmond say he met with Jeffries and found all this stuff out from him.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

I don't think he could have been written out if the objective was to makes everyone think Cooper brought the evil to Twin Peaks in the first place.
Really hope this screamingly predictable outcome isn't where it's going to end up, like Audrey in a coma.

It was a decent visual, I guess. Definitely didn't see it coming. At least Mr C wasn't talking to a regular sized teapot.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

Maybe Chester Desmond is reserved for season 4 :lol:

But yeah, I don't know yet. Waiting to see/hear more Jeffries.
Visually the teapot is cool and just as weird as you can expect from Lynch. I wasn't surprised to see it really, I mean we have a character that transformed (no: evolved) into a talking electro-tree after all.
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

I thought it was visually and conceptually excellent, but the voice, and especially the dubbing, was a below-average disappointment that made his absence hurt more.

IMO Bowie's voice should have been left untouched. The evolution of Jeffries should have sounded as strange as it looked, rather than attempting a weak Bowie imitation.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

I voted "Average" -- having said that, I thought the kettle piping numbers out of steam for DoppelCoop to read in the air was pretty schmaltzy.
I'm also still wondering why the replayed clip of Jeffries in the FWWM scene (Bowie), dubbed over with "Do you know who THIS is there?" as opposed to 'that.' Of all the strange things to speculate about the purpose for in this season, that's one thing I can't begin to understand the reasons for.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Framed_Angel wrote:I voted "Average" -- having said that, I thought the kettle piping numbers out of steam for DoppelCoop to read in the air was pretty schmaltzy.
I'm also still wondering why the replayed clip of Jeffries in the FWWM scene (Bowie), dubbed over with "Do you know who THIS is there?" as opposed to 'that.' Of all the strange things to speculate about the purpose for in this season, that's one thing I can't begin to understand the reasons for.
Two different takes. The take in the show was from The Missing Pieces, and Bowie actually said "this" in the take.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I don't think it was necessary to include Jeffries in the story at all. As such, Mr. Cooper spending so much time looking for Jeffries has felt like a waste of time. I've felt the same way about Briggs, that having him be such an important character behind the scenes and in the book when, sadly, the actor isn't with us, hasn't been the best idea. The character was important in the original, but a workaround could have been developed.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I assumed Jefferies was inside the kettle! :lol:
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

IcedOver wrote:I don't think it was necessary to include Jeffries in the story at all. As such, Mr. Cooper spending so much time looking for Jeffries has felt like a waste of time. I've felt the same way about Briggs, that having him be such an important character behind the scenes and in the book when, sadly, the actor isn't with us, hasn't been the best idea. The character was important in the original, but a workaround could have been developed.
Maybe this season would have been more aptly titled "Phillip Jeffries: The Return"?! : )

I consider the character available for relevance having been primarily manifested in FWWM, first, and again in The Secret History -- which the latter was something I devoured fully expecting ITS content would be relevant to anything we've seen in TPTR. But virtually nothing from the book has been referenced. It was only a brief mention of him anyway. As word got out how different filming locations were noteworthy, I hoped The Return could expand as far as someplace like Buenos Aires and I would have liked as a result to see if a bridge could be crossed toward better understanding of those mystifying elements such as Chester's disappearance after contact with the ring, and Jeffries' bizarre appearance to his colleagues after contact with the Convenience store room.

Whereby, FWWM proceeded to help us put together a clearer picture of the mystery girl at the heart of TP; while Jeffries would leave his mark as an agent full of secrets for us to puzzle over instead.

Briggs was featured more prominently in TSHOTP is why I'm not surprised to see him referenced; given that owls and extra-terrestrial activity were also predominant in the book, again these turned out to be non-factors for his current position in The Return. I'm with you on that: if the creators of this season aren't able to piece together (sorry Garland!) for us how the Major's circumstances figure in to all this pretty soon, that will be one package full of secrets I can't really appreciate~
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I went with "average." I would honestly have much preferred if the teakettle sounded completely alien/distorted. The second-rate imitation of Bowie didn't work at all, and the overdubbed scenes from the original are a sadness.
Not only that, but the teapot doesn't even sound like the overdubbed FWWM scenes, so there's no reason for it.
Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I went with "average." I would honestly have much preferred if the teakettle sounded completely alien/distorted. The second-rate imitation of Bowie didn't work at all, and the overdubbed scenes from the original are a sadness.
Not only that, but the teapot doesn't even sound like the overdubbed FWWM scenes, so there is no reason for it.
Hey you were right about Judy being addressed in the show!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly