Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by ThumbsUp »

430RichardandLinda wrote:Also, to feed the Dian-L theory with Linda...

Diane got Mr. C's text at 16:31. That's 4:31. Probably because it didn't send right away (this happens to me a lot on my phone haha). 4:30 PM in Buckhorn should be light, as it is shown to be, but then it definitely shouldn't be dark in Twin Peaks (we can assume they're in the vicinity because of Jerry). Clearly that message sent with a significant delay. Or it was sent into the future... regardless the timelines aren't matching AT ALL.

430. Richard and Linda (E). 2 birds with one stone. They're both no longer on Earth. There was one stone; the golden pebble that was Diane. HMMMMM
Speaking of texts, what was up with ":-) ALL"? Like, was he telling Diane to send ALL the numbers?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

My response to part 16: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/08/ ... ck-no.html. I'm realizing with a bit of surprise that many are taking Cooper's awakening at face value; to me it felt almost parodic in its over-the-top nature, giving us exactly what we've wanted/been waiting for, after a long delay, in such a fast-paced and on-the-nose fashion. A bit like how I felt about the Ed/Norma thing (though I enjoyed this way more).

I dunno, it seems like Twin Peaks is headed for a maaaaajor last act Lynchian twist, ala Mulholland Dr (we may have already seen the beginning of it with that last shot this week, though I'm not sure where they could go with other stuff). I won't be shocked if it doesn't, but I will probably be a little disappointed - one of the things I like most about Lynch's late work is that ability to flip the script and dig deep emotionally in doing so.

Regardless, this was a pretty wild episode. The Diane stuff alone was mind-bending and provocative, really potent stuff.

Also, damn it, now that we're on to 17/18, and it's clearly gonna take place in 18, probably the last few minutes, I wish I'd never read the TMZ leak in 2015. :( I can't believe Lynch filmed that out in the open like that, in front of phones and everything!! (Don't worry for those who don't know, I won't say more.)
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

It's too bad that Audrey wasn't looking for Billy at the Double R. She could have repeated her dance there. Does that tie in the guy that was looking for Billy there?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

nonemoreblack wrote: Really satisfying episode. Although the fact that we were right about Diane and Audrey being raped by Evil Coop is a hard pill to swallow. :(
Agreed - I hated the idea of it when it first came up.

However, it is all too appropriate that the Doppelganger would violate these two women, when the real Cooper apparently made a specific point to maintain proper boundaries with them both. (See again: Diane's "one kiss" with Cooper, years before encountering his twin.)
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

ThumbsUp wrote:
Speaking of texts, what was up with ":-) ALL"? Like, was he telling Diane to send ALL the numbers?
KILL ALL.
Jadegive2rides

Post by Jadegive2rides »

Troubbble wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
KILL ALL.
That's what I got from it also. Especially with the constant reminders she had a gun. I held my breath when she reached for her cigarettes!
Call for help
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

Two birds (British vernacular, women) one stone (hard object, rolling stone, wandering man).

Richard is Audrey's son with BadCoop, Linda would be Diane's daughter with BadCoop.

This just keeps getting better and better. Although I would love more Twin Peaks, I really feels like this is the end coming soon.

I was very emotional when Dale said bye to Janey and Jim. I certainly hope the Tulpa is for a sanctioned "retirement from the FBI" and the real Dale goes back to Janey and Jim.

To answer the question of both existing, both the BadCoop and Dougie existed simultaneously for years, so too could Dale and TulpaDale.

Dale, once he woke up, was so damned Dale! It was exuberant!

Someone else said it a few pages back, I too feel blessed to get to see this all come to fruition.

I think Audrey may also be a Tulpa, and the real Audrey just became aware of what's going on.

It would further parallel Diane.

How does Laura for into all this? Linda?

Will we see Chet Desmond?

Will we see Harry?

Where is the real Diane? Naido? Or is Naido Judy?

Or was Judy the landlady of the rooms at the Convenience Store?

:-) ALL - an order to kill all of them, Gordon, Albert and Tammy?

Btw, I believe I need some credit here, I said it was Albert who wanted to be back with BOB and misleading BadCoop since that part aired.

Albert seemed to be one of the most affected by the scene between Leland/BOB and Dale at the Sheriff's Station.

Perhaps BOB hid inside of Albert temporarily right after?
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:
dugpa wrote:
Seems to me the other two sets of coordinates were not bogus. They were a trap but set by who...
ALBERT! That had to be his voice on the phone. He missed him in New York because he set a trap for him there as well. He has been working with Jeffries perhaps since Jeffries gave the other wrong coordinates.
I like the Albert theory too! I thought Mr. C said he had two matching coordinates, one non-matching one. So how does that jive with "the other wrong coordinates"?
He had two coordinates that were the same and one that was different. We're led to believe he and Richard went to the location that matched the two sets. I haven't checked the numbers, but my guess is Jeffries and Diane (via Albert) gave the wrong coordinates. The coordinates which Ray gave him (I don't think we saw these, but I could be wrong) were correct. Mr. C sends the text to Diane to take out Cole, Tammy, and Albert because he realizes they are onto Diane since they gave her the wrong coordinates.

Why did that text trigger her reaction/memory though?
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Jadegive2rides wrote:
Troubbble wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
KILL ALL.
That's what I got from it also. Especially with the constant reminders she had a gun. I held my breath when she reached for her cigarettes!
The order to kill the Blue Rosies -- the Doppelganger's final purpose for Diane's tulpa -- is seemingly so antithetical to Diane's true persona that it nearly tears her apart.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

LostInTheMovies wrote:My response to part 16: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/08/ ... ck-no.html. I'm realizing with a bit of surprise that many are taking Cooper's awakening at face value; to me it felt almost parodic in its over-the-top nature, giving us exactly what we've wanted/been waiting for, after a long delay, in such a fast-paced and on-the-nose fashion. A bit like how I felt about the Ed/Norma thing (though I enjoyed this way more).

I dunno, it seems like Twin Peaks is headed for a maaaaajor last act Lynchian twist, ala Mulholland Dr (we may have already seen the beginning of it with that last shot this week, though I'm not sure where they could go with other stuff). I won't be shocked if it doesn't, but I will probably be a little disappointed - one of the things I like most about Lynch's late work is that ability to flip the script and dig deep emotionally in doing so.
I really hope you're right and no you're not the only one who read the Cooper awakening scene that way. It absolutely resonated on that level for me.
soundchaser

Post by soundchaser »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I dunno, it seems like Twin Peaks is headed for a maaaaajor last act Lynchian twist, ala Mulholland Dr (we may have already seen the beginning of it with that last shot this week, though I'm not sure where they could go with other stuff). I won't be shocked if it doesn't, but I will probably be a little disappointed - one of the things I like most about Lynch's late work is that ability to flip the script and dig deep emotionally in doing so.
Perhaps it's a mixture of both? Something's clearly up with Audrey, but it's not clear how far out that narrative bleeds yet. Could this be a story that bridges gaps between the two distinct periods of Lynch's work?
Little Pine Cone
Roadhouse Member

Post by Little Pine Cone »

This was the image leaked by Sky Atlantic the other day when they posted the episode early.
Another angle on the mark or tattoo on her arm.
Attachments
hqzzugaoruhz.png
hqzzugaoruhz.png (641.26 KiB) Viewed 10053 times
Little Pine Cone
Roadhouse Member

Post by Little Pine Cone »

Also...
Attachments
21078545_10155776291069074_6923274334319969021_n.jpg
21078545_10155776291069074_6923274334319969021_n.jpg (24.95 KiB) Viewed 10053 times
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

(deleted)
Last edited by BigEd on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

thedarktrees wrote:A minor point, but wondering what people think about this: WHY would Cooper say that he knows that the Mitchum bros have hearts of gold???

As much as I thought the Mitchum brothers were amazing character in this season, how could Coop of all people come to think they have hearts of gold? I mean they viciously beat one of their employees while firing him when they lost money on the jackpots. I'm not sure they've done a whole lot to redeem themselves since then. Even their care and concern for Dougie is only because they cashed in with a $30M insurance claim because of him. Not so gold-hearted there either.

Maybe the bar is low after being in the Black Lodge for 25 years. I don't know.
This bugged me too. Bradley was ITCHING to murder Dougie, so it seems pretty likely they've killed people in the past. Doesn't reflect super well on our Dale's judgment.