Episode 25 on DVD Authoring Problem?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Episode 25 on DVD Authoring Problem?

Post by dugpa »

Tonight I watched Episode 25 and noticed around 00:27:30 where Audrey is climbing down from the ladder at the Library, my DVD seems to do a weird frame jump.

I played it several times and it happens in the same spot. I am wondering if others see the same thing or if I have a bad disc.

I'm thinking of compiling all the little quirks of the new DVD set. On the Twin Peaks Gazette, g found a major audio oversight on Episode 28. Read about it at:

http://www.2000revue.com/community/topi ... picid=2589

Little things like this really bug. Hopefully I may be able to get the word out to the guys working on the "Complete" Box set so they can get some of these quirks ironed out.

4 More episodes to go till I'm done with the box set.

-B
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

I definitely noticed the missing dialogue in Episode 28 - but I couldn't check off my VHS to confirm I wasn't just making it up.

Can't say I noticed anything in the library scene - but I'll recheck.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Thanks jmichael. I hope it's just my disc and not an authoring problem.

-B
Wood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wood »

I just checked that scene out and I don't notice anything unusual. It's possible that there could be a layer change at that point. Does anyone know how to check where the layer change on a disc is?

If you wanted to do some more investigating, you could download DVDFab Decrypter and dump that disc to your hard drive. Watching the disc directly off your hard drive would eliminate any layer change hiccups, etc that might be specific to your player. If you still see the glitch, that would indicate an authoring problem with the MPEG data itself.

-Steve
Parkamarka

Post by Parkamarka »

I just watched this episode tonight and noticed, in the same scene, that the first shot (where Audrey climbs down the ladder) that the footage doesn't appear to have been remastered at all. It looks like VHS footage, with none of the clarity of the rest of the episode (or the rest of the scene).

The shot at the end of the first owl cave scene (where the owl flies out of the cave) also looks of a distinctly lesser quality to the rest of the episode.

Anyone else notice this?