Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by ThumbsUp »

Dumb question, but has it been confirmed where specifically the coordinates lead to in TP?
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Jacob wrote:Also, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with Bad Coop treatement. It's, in fact, something that I was thinking for a few weeks now, and that Part 16 really confirmed. He's just no that bad. Sure, people say to us he is (Diane for instance). But whereas I loved his scene in Part 2 where he killed Darya (it was CRUEL), now he's just a "cool" bad guy.
Hmmmz.... Mr. C is actually one character I absolutely love (to hate) in Season 3. What I find fascinating about him is that he's NOT just another Zodiac Killer. I think this season would be really disappointing if BOB and Mr. C were nothing more than ruthless killers. Mr. C seems to be far MORE dangerous than that though. He seems to be plotting something that could have severe consequences. Maybe breaking into the White Lodge? Try to kill The Fireman? Do something with The Experiment? We won't know until Part 17+18 but just not knowing what Evil Coop wants to do with these coordinates terrifies me far more than if he was just running around killing people.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

ThumbsUp wrote:Dumb question, but has it been confirmed where specifically the coordinates lead to in TP?
I don't think so, and I don't think it's clear yet why DoppelCoop wants these coordinates.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

mtwentz wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:Dumb question, but has it been confirmed where specifically the coordinates lead to in TP?
I don't think so, and I don't think it's clear yet why DoppelCoop wants these coordinates.
Didn't Doppel tell Darya he's looking for the Mother (or showed her a playing card with the Mother symbol, anyway)?

I think the coordinates lead to the Palmer house. There would have to be a portal or something there though, as Sarah (who might be possessed by the Mother) is a walking person and mobile so she can't have any fixed coordinates. Maybe the portal is the painting?

I think the other possibility is the sheriff's station. Something cosmic and Lodgian is bringing those people in the prison together.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

mtwentz wrote:
I've been thinking about this too. The coordinates can't t lead to Jack Rabbit's Palace/Fireman's house because Briggs only got those coordinates right before he died in front of Hastings, right? They can't be the same coordinates that he left in the metal tube for Bobby. So that means there's a third place...which maybe has the location of the Mother? (which could be Sarah Palmer's house, but I think they made it clear she had the jumping man inside her).
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

Jacob wrote:
oldforce wrote:
Jacob wrote: It's too easy. The character is not hurting us DIRECTLY. And it has weaken the character.
I disagree, what he did to Diane and Audrey hurts us directly.
Cinema is showing. It's been too many parts that I haven't SEEN and experienced directly the evil that's inside Bad Coop. Of course, I know he's bad. But I want to feel it in the NOW, and on the screen. The first parts did it perfectly IMO.
Cinema is showing some things and not others.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Ashok wrote:
Jacob wrote:Also, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with Bad Coop treatement. It's, in fact, something that I was thinking for a few weeks now, and that Part 16 really confirmed. He's just no that bad. Sure, people say to us he is (Diane for instance). But whereas I loved his scene in Part 2 where he killed Darya (it was CRUEL), now he's just a "cool" bad guy.
Hmmmz.... Mr. C is actually one character I absolutely love (to hate) in Season 3. What I find fascinating about him is that he's NOT just another Zodiac Killer. I think this season would be really disappointing if BOB and Mr. C were nothing more than ruthless killers. Mr. C seems to be far MORE dangerous than that though. He seems to be plotting something that could have severe consequences. Maybe breaking into the White Lodge? Try to kill The Fireman? Do something with The Experiment? We won't know until Part 17+18 but just not knowing what Evil Coop wants to do with these coordinates terrifies me far more than if he was just running around killing people.
I agree. It makes sense for Mr. C to have his own weird charisma since Dale is very charismatic. I like the idea of dopplegangers being the worst parts of a person rather than a mindlessly evil being.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
TheGum wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Has anyone brought up that it's weird that Cooper seems like Cooper pre-season 2 finale? I assumed the Black Lodge split his soul into two parts, good and evil? What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
I think you could actually argue that he was EXCESSIVELY good upon his return.
True. But it's not like we ever saw darkness in Cooper much before we met his doppleganger? I guess it's hard for me to believe Cooper ever had rape and murder in his heart?
Maybe not rape and murder, but lust and violence, and Doppelcoop is just the farthest explorations of those feelings, not to mention the BOB influence
I'm back in style!
Clinkers

Post by Clinkers »

Just watched this episode: holy shit!

Cooper, the jerk with the gun killing the killers, and...AUDREY!

Ive only had a chance to read the first 10 pages or so, and I love the idea that Naido=Diane.

Has anyone mentioned that in the original run (and FWWM), we never see DIane? Never seen: not seing? Like a woman with no eyes?

Im off to watch again: I love this show!
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

TheGum wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:
TheGum wrote:
I think you could actually argue that he was EXCESSIVELY good upon his return.
True. But it's not like we ever saw darkness in Cooper much before we met his doppleganger? I guess it's hard for me to believe Cooper ever had rape and murder in his heart?
Maybe not rape and murder, but lust and violence, and Doppelcoop is just the farthest explorations of those feelings, not to mention the BOB influence
Yeah, its not that Coop had rape and murder in his heart. It's that he has empathy and conscience in his heart while the Doppelganger has nothing. It's not Cooper that's missing parts of himself, it is, and always has been, the Doppelganger that is lacking. Because the Doppelganger is the darkness of Cooper with none of what makes him human. If there was a split, it's a split in the soul (the spirit finger is the only fingerprint reversed?), not the mind, and Cooper kept the valuable parts.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Normonaut wrote:Okay if Audrey is in the "nut house", then we can only assume that all the new/nameless characters in the roadhouse who don't interact with anyone from "outside" are also patients in the "nut house".
If so, the "I'm waiting for someone" kinda gets a whole new meaning. I've worked with demented people, and almost all of them were waiting for someone (who for the most part wasn't alive anymore). And if the other poster was correct about the name being shouted before the fight was the same as the name mentioned in E1 being "not in the normal hospital", can we assume the nuthouse isn't even in Twin Peaks? Seems like it's not a large enough town to support a facility like that. Then again it IS Twin Peaks :roll:
Then the question is, what can all the other dialogue tell us?
Who in the nuthouse is Billy? Did he escape? is he a carer, a patient? Is he alive?
The only mention of Billy outside the Road/nuthouse is in the weird RR scene where the entire clientele suddenly changes, right?
Anyway, I'm not sure any of this will matter in the end, it's just fun to speculate.

Also the performances at the Roadhouse could simply be the radio playing in the nuthouse. There's always a radio playing.
I think the name mentioned in the Roadhouse before the fight was "Monique," not Barney. It sounds like Barney, but the subtitles say differently.
Tweed

Post by Tweed »

Pleased to see Audrey's role in all this seems to be more significant than appeared would be the case back when there were complications with Ms. Fenn signing up.

Overall, of the returning female cast members she has probably had more overall screen time than any of the others, notwithstanding her story arc started much later in the series. None of us knows exactly where things are headed, but her story also seems to have the potential for greater significance/depth than others' (e.g. Shelly's).

This is fitting. She was one of the characters that really made the original show what it was, and the character deserved her due on the reprise (much as I would have liked to see more of her).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

As some others have noted, one of the few things I've been missing on this show is pure Lynchian creepiness like Bob climbing over the couch, the Mystery Man in LH, the Winkie's Bum, &c. The Woodsmen descending on DoppelCoop did it for me (as well as a couple of other things in Part 8, like the frogbug). But JR Starr announcing "Audrey's Dance" and the crowd moving in unison to clear the dance floor....holy HELL my skin was crawling. One of those perfect dreamy/nightmarish moments DKL does better than anyone. Who'da thought that the goofy Roadhouse announcer would have the creepiest line in the show, and it would be a track title from the OST?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

thedarktrees wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
thedarktrees wrote:

So maybe for all these years Cooper's tape recorder has really just been sending updates to the white lodge/mauve room. Tape recorder, magnetic tape, electrical energy. Who knows. Not sure why the Fireman would want to know what he ate for lunch everyday though.

In any case, makes at least as much sense as the surface understandings of things: that he records and somehow ships a loads of tapes to his secretary on a daily basis.
I think it'd just be cool symbolism that links back to Diane's original presentation on the show.

I'm very curious about that apparently first time Coop kissed Diane on the lips though.
Oh interesting symoblism for sure if things work out that way. I just think it's funny how utterly implausible and weird the whole Diane tape recorder things was back then. How really did they expect people to imagine that would work?

Isn't there some reference to Coop and Diane hooking it up in that book based on Cooper's tapes that came out way back in the day?
I always assumed he mailed (or more likely couriered) the tapes to her every day or two.
Last edited by garethw on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by Rik Renault »

garethw wrote:One of my fav scenes so far:

Cole looking around mystified by all the equipment, like, "What's all this stuff for?"

Seems kind of a meta-commentary on "how the hell are they going to wrap this up?" -- and then he asks us to hold his beer.
The scene was sandwiched between two other scenes about the ominous presence (and omnipresence) of electricity, and obviously there's also the Jeffries and electricity connection.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk