What's Canon

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

a_horse_with_a_horn

Re: What's Canon

Post by a_horse_with_a_horn »

Dr. Jacoby "Have you every killed anyone before, Bobby?" Bobby (without looking nervous or reflective in any way) "No, but my dad has."

I always thought that Bobby never denied it but just said "My father has."
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i consider the diary, coop book and access guide canon, basically because lynch and frost seemed to be pretty involved in their main content.
a_horse_with_a_horn

Post by a_horse_with_a_horn »

I've got agree with Brad D. I couldn't discriminate against something they made that was to do with Twin Peaks. They didn't have to write the Access Guide and Coop's book, and keep Laura's Diary in the family but clearly they wanted to have quality control over it so yeah, I say it's canon.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Oooh. I reread this post and realized I sounded rather snooty in my original post. Oh well.

I still firmly believe in FWWM's inadequacies, and do actually believe it to be a poor film now, but I have changed my ideas about all other TP related things. After reading the three books, there are of exceptional quality and add very much to the series. They are definitely cannon.

The card series was super fun and besides the birthdates, are cannon.

So yeah :D
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

maybe, somehow the graphic novel for the third season will make it to the light of day <big sigh>
Bown

Post by Bown »

Even if Laura's diary isn't considered canon it should be because I think that made me care about Laura Palmer much more than either the series or FWWM. It's wonderfully written and probably my favourite piece of tie-in media to a show ever. Not read Cooper's book yet, but I will soon.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "canon", but I always feel that Mulholland Drive is so thematically related that it forms part of a greater whole.

I'm pretty sure that the woman in Silencio is not actually Sheryl Lee, but it looks so much like her, and it seems so appropriate that she would be, that I'm actually content to wilfully believe that it is. I view it almost as a what-if scenario of what might have become of Laura had she not died. I think there are quite a number of other connections between them - Welcome to Canada, Dad's best friend...

In some ways, I've even thought of them as part of a trilogy - Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Mulholland Drive.

Probably not a popular theory! :)
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

Post by neverwakingworld »

to me i regard it all canon even if it has inconsistency's and i think what would makes fwwm interesting is how it opens up new questions that could have been answered in season 3 like laura knowing about dale being trapped and the ring.